Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Wildcatboy

Re: Forum rules, reminder, changes, updates, ...

I'd like to thank you all for your responses and support. The forum looks much better already and I'm confident you can make it better. A few last comments before I close this thread so it doesn't get annoying in people's favourite list:

unix_warrior,
Yes this forum is open to all Security related issues and all platforms, some however get fewer responses than others due to the high percentage of Windows users in this forum.

Suggestion to you and everyone else:

If you like to hear more discussions related to the OS you use, bring it up more often. The more *Nix or MAC related issues asked the more chances you get to attract *NIX and MAC users to this forum. After all if Experts in MAC or *NIX feel useful in this forum they will no doubt hang around more often. As I said before the quality of this forum is all about who you attract to this forum. So if you are interested to see more of something, bring it up more often. Learn about it somewhere else and share it with others in this forum and encourage discussions. Bring other friends who know about those issues to this forum and start a few discussions about the subject. You'd be amazed of the changes you'll see in a few months.

On another note, since we have seen some improvements in this forum, let's not stop working hard at it. Think of what you can do to make this forum a better place and take initiative.

Let us also keep the unnecessary stuff out of the forum so people can find the more useful subjects easier. For example, Weekly automated updates of virus definitions are too common to post about every week. If there's a problem with the update, fine. If there's an early release of the update, fine. If updates are not as frequent and people tend to forget to update, fine, but posts like: "Oh, my live update tells me there's an update." are no big deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against you giving a heads up to others and a lot of members appreciate it but not overdoing it is what I have in mind. I say this because I'm starting to see threads like: "There will be an update Tomorrow." and we start reading threads full of posts like: "where is it then?" "I still don't have it." "5 hours and counting.", etc... that offer no value to this forum.

Again I'd like to thank you all for your efforts and keep up the good work.

Cheers.
--
You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.

[text was edited by author 2002-09-15 16:19:24]

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

I've received a few IMs about the last comment I made so I try to clarify the subject a bit.

The idea is that we should all try to add value to the forum with each post we make. Posts about daily updates of NAV do add value for some but we can do better. A one liner that says daily update is there, go get it is nothing but an announcement that's known by majority of users. After all it's a Daily update which means it's released daily. What's the news?

Weekly scheduled updates that are pulled by auto update features are not much of a news either. Sure, some people can still use it, as they have chosen not to use the auto update and manually update their AV (me included) but filling up the forum with daily posts about them is another story.

Again it's about adding as much value to the forum as we can, so here's a proposition:

If you really want to announce them, how about doing a bit more research? Find out what the new added signatures are. Do a research about those viruses, worms and Trojans and inform others about them. Include a few links to descriptions of a few of them and how they work and how they can be cleaned. In other words, add value to the forum. This way people are informed about the update and both you and they will also learn a few things about those viruses.

Let's make hanging around this forum an educational experience as opposed to something like reading the announcements section of a Newspaper. It can be done and you are the ones to do it.
--
You can catch the Devil, but you can't hold him long.

Daniel
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-26
San Francisco, CA
Reviews:
·webpass.net
reply to Wildcatboy
said by Wildcatboy:
Let us also keep the unnecessary stuff out of the forum so people can find the more useful subjects easier. For example, Weekly automated updates of virus definitions are too common to post about every week. If there's a problem with the update, fine. If there's an early release of the update, fine. If updates are not as frequent and people tend to forget to update, fine, but posts like: "Oh, my live update tells me there's an update." are no big deal.
Speak it, brother! (raising hands to the heavens in thanks).

Seriously, I am so glad you said that.
--
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Randy Bell
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

3 recommendations

reply to Wildcatboy
said by Wildcatboy:
After all it's a Daily update which means it's released daily. What's the news?
The news for me is when the update is released at the ftp server, which varies greatly from one day to the next. Although many have the IU batch file to automate this process somewhat, still it's nice to know exactly when the update is available, since it requires a manual download. Some people schedule their IU batch file to run on a periodic basis, so for them the process is automated, but not for the rest of us. I'm assuming here that you have the Norton intelligent updater (IU) threads in mind.

I realize this is not news for people who don't use NAV, but the most recent firewall poll revealed that many of us do use NAV, thus the notices about daily updates. If the title doesn't apply to your AV, then of course you can just ignore it -- just as I pay little attention to update news about AVG, McAfee, KAV, NOD32, eTrust, Tauscan, The Cleaner, etc. -- products I don't use myself.
said by Wildcatboy:
If you really want to announce them, how about doing a bit more research? Find out what the new added signatures are.
dp and I and other users almost always do exactly that: list the new viruses detected, from the whatsnew.txt file.
said by Wildcatboy:
Do a research about those viruses, worms and Trojans and inform others about them. Include a few links to descriptions of a few of them and how they work and how they can be cleaned. In other words, add value to the forum.
Sometimes I've added detection pictures and comments to these threads (particularly the TrojanHunter ruleset threads), especially for new virus and trojan detections where I recognize a particular infection sent in for analysis. Others can contribute what they know too, since forum members help their various vendors to get detection of new nasties.

Some of us have sent infected files to the program authors for analysis. Magnus Mischel (TH author) and Brendon Woirhaye (Symantec) have been most helpful and are to be commended publicly for their fine work in assisting us in getting detection on these new nasties -- not to mention Wayne Langlois (TDS author) and others.
said by Wildcatboy:
This way people are informed about the update and both you and they will also learn a few things about those viruses.
Point well taken: we especially can contribute, when we see detection of viruses, worms, and trojans we know we've been instrumental in getting detection on, and on malware we recognize and know something about ahead-of-time (before detection).

For other malware, unfortunately for example, often Symantec creates an entry at their website about the new virus or trojan when it is added to the virus list, but it contains little or no information.

However, your point is still well-received, we could research the same malware on other AV/AT sites which may have already obtained information on the same virus or trojan.

Thanks for all the steps you're taking to make this a better forum for all of us, WCB. :)

[text was edited by author 2002-09-17 07:24:31]

Mats
Here kitty and the chimp. Smash
Premium
join:2002-03-16
kudos:1
reply to Daniel
said by danielrm26:
said by Wildcatboy:
Speak it, brother! (raising hands to the heavens in thanks).

Seriously, I am so glad you said that.

i am very glad he said this as well. i just hope it works