share rss forum feed view:
normal

Randy Bell
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

1 recommendation

reply to sig

Re: Forum rules, reminder, changes, updates, ...

said by sig:
Fortunately, one rarely see threads announcing updates for these and the other AV/AT products.
On the contrary, I've noticed quite a few threads about BOClean updates in the past. And there are update threads posted for Tauscan and The Cleaner. I don't know why TDS updates aren't posted, I suppose TDS users like IGGY and TonyKlein and others aren't motivated to post about them. Wilders has a separate forum dedicated solely to AV/AT update notices: "update alerts", »www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=26

Regarding the IU threads, the antivirus poll confirms many NAV users here, so this is (I think) why there's significant interest in these threads. :)

[text was edited by author 2002-09-17 17:54:33]

sig
Premium
join:2001-05-05

1 recommendation

Randy, I said "rarely" not "never." Perhaps I should have said "only occasionally" but certainly as you know (and my point was) there are not threads here each and every time another product has an update, especially for those that update daily. Do you think it would be a good thing for the security forum to have daily threads for TDS, BOClean and other proggies each and every time there is an update? We know there are users of such products here but fortunately they do not post daily about daily updates.

The Wilder's update forum was set up specifically to avoid cluttering up the other forums with update announcements. I'm not recommending that here, but as you point out there are other places solely dedicated to update announcements.

As WCB said, the mere fact that there is a daily update of a product that is updated daily is not news. Seriously, does anyone really need a thread to find out at what time of day to download a daily update? If there's something substantive to discuss, fine. But just posting links and cut and pastes on bug info from the Symantec site to make it look like there's a discussion going on? What's the value added to the forum at large? If there's a new bug going around that's particularly worthy of note, then that should be discussed in a separate thread so all can see.

I can see posting updates when there's a new virulent baddie on the loose (like Klez for example) and the guy's now in the defs. That's news. Or there's been a problem with the program or a def and it's been fixed. But daily? No. Not for any program.

[text was edited by author 2002-09-17 18:10:36]

Randy Bell
Premium
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

2 recommendations

said by sig:
The Wilder's update forum was set up specifically to avoid cluttering up the other forums with update announcements. I'm not recommending that here, but as you point out there are other places solely dedicated to update announcements.
Well, if enough people feel negatively about the update threads, maybe dslreports should create a separate forum for them, just like Wilders...just a thought. Personally, I find the IU and other threads harmless...and easily ignored (based on their subject) by those who aren't interested. :)

sig
Premium
join:2001-05-05

quote:
Well, if enough people feel negatively about the update threads, maybe dslreports should create a separate forum for them, just like Wilders...just a thought.
Or...maybe posters could exercise some discretion and selectivity regarding the posting of updates, as WCB requested.