uniqs

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

1 recommendation

FutureMon

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING...THANK YOU.

It is clear when reading the threads in this forum that many users of D-Link products have had their share of problems.

However, as the forum host, I respectfully request that you, as a participant in this forum, refrain from excessive "this product sucks" and the like. Don't get me wrong, you are welcome to post your opinion, but remember, this is a public forum and people of all ages have access to the words you type here.

Anonymous posts with that tone will simply be deleted. If you really want your opinion to be taken seriously, register an account here. It's free...

From this point forward, I ask that ALL members of this forum, use the Hey Mod link on any post in any thread you feel is in violation of this request.

I intend to try and clean this place up a little bit. I want this forum to become a place where there are more of us telling our stories and pointing out things learned in the process, learning about new firmware updates that become available, and yes, perhaps even that other firmware you can use on your D-Link too...

I want new visitors to the forum to have an enjoyable "read" while they are looking for the answer to their question without having to wade through a sea of "this sucks!" type posts. If the end result is just that, then so be it. The product will stand or fall on it's own - but we need to maintain a balance here so people can have a productive experience while they are here.

The D-Link support people that are here, are here of their own free will. This forum can provide D-Link with good consumer feedback which can improve their product, but if all you heard was negativity, would you stick around?

I'm here because I own a DWL-1000AP, and 5 DWL-650's - hooked into a Hawking 24 port switch, then to my Netopia R9100 router, then out to my ADSL Modem. The setup works decent enough. No dropouts or any of the other horror stories I've read in here.

I will rely on the good advice of the visitors, and of the representatives that so graciously spend their time here to try and better their product by learning about what is broken, and at the same time help the consumer. That is why I ask of everyone to use the hey mods link when something overly offensive may come along. Especially Anonymous posters. They can register if they want to chat.

Also, in regards to the numerous threads regarding "hack your ...", or "turn your ... into a ...". Let it be known that you will, in fact, void your D-Link warranty by applying any firmware other than D-Link released code. The information will be allowed to be here, but you use it at your own risk.

- FutureMan

msickles
join:2001-10-28
Pittsboro, NC

msickles

FutureMan,

Thank you for your efforts and the moderation of the D-Link forum.

I respectfully disagree with you censoring any further posts with "this product sucks" or other language to that affect.

I think that the users of Broadband Reports come here to get all views of the products--from purchase, support to life-cycle support issues.

If the materials on this forum start to be edited based on poor taste and rudeness, that is one thing, but honest feedback on lack of support then we need to be able to communicate to all members of Broadband Reports.

I agree completely with the anonymous posting and the excessive derogatory comments line, but let's make sure we have a good balance.

Regarding the AMIT and other threads regarding loading firmware on the router, it is also a violation of the warranty to load any beta firmware--even released by D-Link--on the router.

Let's not police that aspect either because there is a lot being learned by D-Link from the people calling in support requests and referencing threads found here in this forum.

I actually got a problem taken care of because of the numbers of people having problems with the same issues here.

Matt
[text was edited by author 2002-10-09 11:29:14]

chrissv
join:2002-06-20
Dudley, MA

1 recommendation

chrissv to FutureMon

to FutureMon
I agree with the moderator - I think that the specific information content is what people are looking for.

A post which says "The DI-XYZ sucks" is absent of any information content; a comment like "The DI-XYZ drops my VPN packets under such-and-such conditions" is what we need.

I know people have opinions on the product, but I think we need to substantiate some of the issues to make it useful here.

Similarly, when somebody asks "what is your experience with the latest firmware upgrade for the DI-XYZ" there needs to be more than a comment that "it sucks."

Cheers!

ForeverSevgi
@telocity.com

ForeverSevgi to FutureMon

Anon

to FutureMon
Have we entered the Communist world? lol

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

said by ForeverSevgi:
When posting in DSLR,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

said by Warzau:
said by ForeverSevgi:
When posting in DSLR,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yup.
Not by a longshot. This site is a business just like any other you could walk in to. When you "walk in" to a business, generally you are expected to behave in a proper manner. If you are there to cause a scene (trolling, flaming, and general bad-mouthing), you are going to get booted.

With this site, there are general rules of conduct that all users (yes that means you) agreed to when you registered. It has nothing to do with Communism at all - it has to do with providing meaningful content to those who seek it.

If every other thread in here wasn't "D-Link sucks" then I'd probably not be undergoing this effort to clean up the forum.

Some of you who have been around a while, might agree with me when I say I am a fairly "mellow" moderator...There are quite a few mods here that wouldn't think twice about whacking half the threads in here...

I understand the need to discuss the bad along with the good...All I'm asking is that you do so in a professional manner - and your posts will not be moderated.

As for the anonymous user issue, because these users have not agreed to the formal policy of the site usage guidelines, they have much less leeway when it comes to what I will allow in the forum. As I've said before, registering is free. If you absolutely do not want to register, then at least keep your posts clean. Otherwise, they're gone.

- FM

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
I hope you didn't think my response was anything other than just playful support for you. I too have grown tired of "this suck" or "that sux". Sorry if it came out sounding condescending or otherwise.