SQUIGGY7
It Wasn'T Me
Premium Member
join:2000-12-30
Joplin, MO

SQUIGGY7

Premium Member

I can't ping And I can't find help.

Please help Everytime I try to do A tweak test or host A game my IP cannot be seen.I am using A BEFSR41 and it does all my internet connections.I use PPPoe.I have disabled the WAN REQUEST and even tryed the DMZ host but nothing will work.PLEASE HELP SOMEONE??????

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Can you be pinged when you are connected directly without the router?

Also, what firmware are you using. I forget which one fixed it (I think it was 1.34) but some earlier firmware versions had a bug that did not allow you to be pinged regardless of the block WAN request setting.

jahotchk
join:2000-12-22
Brentwood, CA

jahotchk to SQUIGGY7

to SQUIGGY7
It is also possible that your ISP has disabled ICMP (which is the protocol ping uses) on their router in which your line has been ported to used. You might want to call them. Another way to test a connection is install Personal Web Server on your Windows 98 system and open port 80 on the linky. Run the command prompt and telnet to your ip 80, example below:

c:\telnet 192.169.1.89 80

If you do not receive an error message regarding the connection then you can be assured that everything is ok.

Besides, making yourself pingable is dangerous. You should only do it if you are running a server service that requires it. Disabling will prevent denial of service attacks.

Good Luck!

SQUIGGY7
It Wasn'T Me
Premium Member
Joplin, MO

SQUIGGY7

Premium Member

I cant get the router to upgrade??????I have tried several times and it always stays at Version 1.22. please help??????

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

The TFTP program doesn't work?

Make sure you follow the instructions exactly. Also:
  • Disconnect from your ISP (if you are on PPPoE)
  • Disconnect all other computers from the router except for the one you will use to upgrade
  • Make sure nothing on your computer will try to access the internet or the DSL connection
  • Do a hard reset of the router after the TFTP program completes (unplug the router for 30 seconds).
Also make absolutely sure you have the right code.bin file. If you don't make a new folder for the download you won't be able to tell them apart unless you know the file length.

SQUIGGY7
It Wasn'T Me
Premium Member
Joplin, MO

SQUIGGY7

Premium Member

I tried it twice with those exact instructions but it still shows 1.22 and don't even erase my router settings.It is like I am doing nothing to it.

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

I remember posts about some units that just won't flash. Do you have IE set to always check for new pages rather than cache them so you can see the change? That's about the only other thing I can think of other than a bad router. Does the red DIAG light blink on your router when you flash it?

SQUIGGY7
It Wasn'T Me
Premium Member
Joplin, MO

SQUIGGY7

Premium Member

How do you change the explorer setting then I will see if the light flashes

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

That option is in Tools->Internet Options->Temporary Internet Files->Settings. Change it to check for new versions every time you visit a page.

SQUIGGY7
It Wasn'T Me
Premium Member
Joplin, MO

SQUIGGY7

Premium Member

NO LUCK.I am going to exchange routers and see if it was faulty.