Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

Windows NT Workstation 4.0. Need to remove OS

A friend on mine has this laptop IBM ThinkPad 770Z. When he bought it (used) it came with Windows NT WorkStation 4.00 installed on it. All he got was the Laptop. He wants to take off the NT WorkStation 4.00 and put on windows 98SE. The NT workStation 4.00 will not run what he wants to run for his work. He is a golf Pro. and need to run (V One Digital Coaching System) This ThinkPad has a DVD drive, but no floppy drive.

What has to be done to remove the NT Workstation?

Thanks for any help on this.

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Use a dos boot disk (like the one that came with win98) and run FDISK. Clear out the existing partition and create a new one. Then format it FAT32. Boot from the Win98 CD and go about installing the OS....

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

This Thinkpad does not have a floppy drive to boot from.

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
Well that makes it a little bit more tricky....Since win98 doesnt have partitioning software as part of the install. How about running winnt4/win2k/winxp setup JUST to the screen where it shows the existing partitions. Delete the NTFS and have it create a FAT partition. After than, stop the setup and boot from Win98 CD.

hambone6666
Sigmarick Said Arse
join:2001-02-13
Stamford, CT

hambone6666 to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
Actually, most full version 98 CD's are bootable which after booting from the CD, starting the computer with CD-rom support, you can type a:\fdisk at the command prompt and delete the partitions. reboot, run fdisk again to create the partition you want, reboot and format.

then run the win98 setup.
you are all set.

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone to USR56K

Premium Member

to USR56K

I have a Win 200 Pro install disk, but when I do as you say, I get to the point where it reboots, then it tells me that setup cannot find the cd-rom drive. "Setup cannot continue, to quit setup press F3." Same thing happens with XP Pro.

Is there a way to make a boot disk on a cd-rom for windows 98SE?

hambone6666
Sigmarick Said Arse
Stamford, CT

hambone6666 to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
Win2k disk or CD?

Is harddrive Fat or NTFS?
[text was edited by author 2002-10-03 16:25:54]

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

Win 2K is on a disk. Where do I go to see if hard drive is Fat or NTFS?

hambone6666
Sigmarick Said Arse
Stamford, CT

hambone6666 to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
if you can still boot into NT, you can right click on the harddrive and goto properties and it will tell you.

but it sounds like you have already deleted the partition, no?

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

I still have the partition up & running.

I right click on the hard drive & I see file system is NTFS.

I also see that this laptop has a SCSI CD drive if this helps.

hambone6666
Sigmarick Said Arse
Stamford, CT

hambone6666 to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
SCSI cd, you should be ok booting from the win2k disc.

try booting off you win98 cd and at the command prompt type fdisk.

let me know if that works.
have you used fdisk before?

when this thing boots up,do you see the IBM product recovery blurb?

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

When I try to boot from Windows 98 disk all I get is a black screen with a small white line blinking, but I cannot type anything. I can hear the cd drive run then it stops. When I am in windows desk top and put in the CD it will start the 98 screen, so I feel the rom is ok.

Yes I have use Fdisk before.

when this thing boots up,do you see the IBM product recovery blurb?

The first screen that comes up when I boot is Please select the operation system to start:

1:Windows NT Worstation Version 4.00 I went with this one.
2:Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 [VGA Mode]

Then I get a screen that say:

[b]Hardware Profile/configutation Recovery Menu

1: Windows NT 4.0 W/O jazz Drive I went with this one.
2: Windows NT 4.0 with Jazz Drive

Then I get a blue screen tell me:
Microsoft (R) Windows NT Workstation Version 4.00 Build 1381 Service Pack 6.

Then it goes to the Microsoft WindowsNT Workstatio4.0 & wants me to press CTRL+ALT+Delete to log on.

Then it ask for user name & password. I enter it. Then Windows comes on the screen. It then does the virus scan.

Then I get a error that says:

Service Control Manger
At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use event Viewer to examine the event log for details. I then press OK.

Then I get this:
MCSHIELD.EXE Application Error
The instruction at "0X0152088f" referenced memory at "0X00000000". The memory could not be read". Click on OK to terminate the application, Click on CANCLE to debug the application.

If I click CANCLE Then I get this SCREEN:
DHCP Client
The DHCP client could not obtain a IP address. If you want to see DHCP messages in the future, choose YES. Otherwise choose NO.

I click no.

I am then looking at the desk top and can go anywhere on the desk top I want.

hambone6666
Sigmarick Said Arse
Stamford, CT

hambone6666 to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
do you have another 98 cd?
shut the laptop off.
try hitting f12 at the IBM logo screen to select boot device.
hilight the cd-rom in the menu that comes up
hit enter

what does it do then?

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

howieh

MVM

I don't think a 770 has a boot manager that you can access with F12. You may have to hit F1 at the logo and go into setup and adjust the boot order.

hambone6666
Sigmarick Said Arse
Stamford, CT

hambone6666 to Mr Stone

to Mr Stone
I have never heard of a laptop with a scsi cd.
just noticed that part of your post.

is that an external SCSI? connected how? through pcmcia?

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone to howieh

Premium Member

to howieh

I went into the setup and set it to boot into the CD drive through F1 at the logo screen.

When I try to boot with the windows 98 disk, it gives me a choice to boot up from hard drive or CD-Rom. I choose CD-Rom, the screen goes blank and I have a white curser flashing that is about 1/4 inch long and at that top, you cannot type anything at that point.

Then I try to boot up in Windows XP and a little blue screen comes up showing me that it is loading files from the CD-Rom. I can see the CD-Rom working when it does this. Then I get a blue screen that says this:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you have seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XFC90B63C,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)"

This all seems so strange that I can't wipe this OS from this hard drive.

I surely appreciate all the input and help that everyone has given so far, but I am determined not to give up. Last recourse being, to get the sledge hammer out. I will clean this hard drive. LOL
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
STOP: 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

This is probably consistent with the Win98 boot disk non-booting.

My guess is that the laptop uses some weird SCSI interface that's not catered for on the normal boot CDs. Maybe the system gets up and running by treating it as an INT13H (using BIOS IO) and then fails due to lack of a driver.

The usual way to handle it is:

1) Build yourself a Win98 boot disk that has the right drivers. Easy on a floppy, tougher on CD.

2) At the appropriate moment early in Win2000/XP setup, hit the key that means "yes, I have the SCSI drivers ready on this floppy, so please read it now".

Generally speaking, the system vendor should have given you this stuff.

Mr Stone
stupid should be painful
Premium Member
From hell

Mr Stone

Premium Member

Let me ask this. If this laptop was set up on a network in a office, could it be that it is lock so no one can make changes on it?

One more thing, I have the model number for the DVD drive. Is there a way to check if it a SCSI drive? Model # SR-8171-L
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
No. If you have the machine, you have control. Your problem doesn't appear to be related to what's currently on the hard disk, it is simply that you cannot boot a system from CD, and the issue seems to be that the initial boostrap can't read the CD it came from.

As for finding about the drive - type 'SR-8171' into Google, the way you do when you're looking for anything at all! I got several hits on SR-8171 but nothing significant on SR-8171-L. The SR-8171 is an ATAPI drive.

»www.mke.panasonic.co.jp/ ··· dex.html

What made you think that the drive was SCSI before? You might have been fooled by 'scsi' in some NT device name. That doesn't actually mean SCSI hardware. NT was born on SCSI devices (IDE disks were completely crap in those days) and they fitted some ATAPI devices into the OS by putting in a 'scsi-izer' layer of software; this had the effect of making them named like SCSI devices.
dave

dave to Mr Stone

Premium Member

to Mr Stone
One thing: maybe the CD boot problem is because the laptop's BIOS can only boot the (obsolete) floppy-emulation form of bootable CD.

If you've got a CD-writer somewhere, you could verify that by making a bootable MS-DOS CD. E-Z CD Creator knows how to make floppy-emulation CDs. I expect everything else knows as well.

howieh
4 more weeks
MVM
join:2000-08-06
Metuchen, NJ

howieh to dave

MVM

to dave
Make sure that the bios is updated to the latest release, this has cured a lot of problems in laptops when I upgrade to Win2k. I imagine the same would apply to XP. Also, if you have a docking station, do not have the laptop in the dock during the os install, the dock provides extra hard drive capabilities and the install can not figure it all out. You have to hot dock the laptop after completing the install and then the os will properly detect the dock's devices.