All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pinecone
join:2002-10-08
Cleveland, OH

pinecone

Downloading Microsoft files stalls (brown 704p)

I am using: Windows XP, Ameritech SBC, ADSL, DLINK 704P (black/brown box version) router.

This problem only occurs when I use my router. If I bypass my router, the problem goes away. When I try to download any files from Microsoft, I reach about 48KB to 128KB fairly quickly and then the download stalls. I successfully download files from other sites without a problem. This happens if I use the update site or try to download the files directly from Microsoft.

This problem has cropped up within the last month. I even tried a new install of Microsoft XP on two separate computers with the same results. I contacted Ameritech because the problem seems to have occurred only recently. They pointed me in the direction of the router. I called the router manufacturer (DLINK). They had me try the following items without success.

1)Disabled Zone Alarm.
2)Configured Explorer as follows:
-a)Restore defaults under advance options.
-b)Set internet security to medium.
-c)Verify connections: will never dial a connection.
-d)Lan settings does NOT use proxy, or automatic settings and scripts.
4)Verify that Windows XP firewall is disabled.
5)Verify that the computer IP address automatically obtained was acceptable.
6)Assigned computer IP address to DMZ on router.

Things I have also tried in desperation without success:
1)Updating the router firmware.
2)Set Explorer security to low and accept all cookies.

DLINK is still chasing my problem, but at the suggestion of many other people I am asking for help in this forum.
[text was edited by author 2002-10-08 08:25:53]

[text was edited by author 2002-10-08 11:04:58]

[text was edited by author 2002-10-08 11:19:53]

[text was edited by author 2002-10-08 11:33:56]
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt

Some Ameritech users apparently have trouble with MTU discovery on certain redbacks, although, I have never had that problem myself with DI-704 and Linux or Win98se.

Depending upon firmware version (2.57b3?), you might try accessing /sysp.htm after logging onto 704P to try dropping the PPPoE MTU (1492 is max due to 8 byte PPPoE header). Or you might see if there is a way to set MTU in XP.

Some Atech users had to set MTU as low as 1400, but like I said, I never had MTU problems with 704 non-P defaults. Somewhere in DSLR FAQ or Tweaks are instructions how to use ping to determine max usable MTU (max unfrag'd ping data + 28 bytes = max MTU).
pinecone
join:2002-10-08
Cleveland, OH

pinecone

Your suggestion solved my problem - thank you!

I jumped right in and set the MTU on my DL-704p router to 1400. My Microsoft (MS) downloads were successful. My upload/download speeds were still consistently in the 130/630 ranges per the speed tests on this site. I then ran the tweak test program from this site. Following its suggestions I ended up setting my MTU back to 1492 and changed other settings, which stalled my MS downloads again. I then experimented with setting the MTU and the MS downloads. I found that the maximum I could set my MTU and have successful MS downloads was 1456. I do not understand why MS is different than the many other sites I work with, but I am glad to finally find a solution to my problem. I am not sure that this is the optimal solution, but for now it is the only solution.

I am not sure if I should give myself some cushion between the MTU limit of 1456 for successful MS downloads and if so, how much. I do not really want to chase this problem again, and am not sure why it suddenly cropped up. Again, thank you for your help!
pinecone

pinecone

Just another oddity to add to this. About the same time I started having problems with Microsoft (MS) downloads, I also had to drop my ZoneAlarm (ZA) security level to medium, or I could not connect to any site. I was told by Ameritech that this was to be expected. Since I made this MTU change, I can now set my ZA security level to high and still access all sites and MS downloads. By the way, I am using the free version of ZA.