uniqs

NeoGeo64
Premium Member
join:2001-09-22
Leesburg, GA

NeoGeo64

Premium Member

Gentoo Questions

Hi everybody. I'm feeling brave (and sick of Mandrake's bugginess :P) so I'm deciding to install Gentoo.

It doesn't look that hard. Just like Slackware... except more involved.

Anyways, when I install it (version 1.2) from a stage 1 tarball, does it download all the necessary system utilities and whatnot (I know a Linux system has alot of stuff that makes it tick, and thats alotta packages to remember)?

Does Gentoo also install commonly used Linux apps such as XMMS, Gaim, Xine, xchat, etc?

Also, how do I make it log into my GUI of choice at boot?

Thanks and stuff.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-04 19:54:17]

TruckerKW
join:2002-03-31
Buckner, IL

TruckerKW

When dealing with Gentoo I recommend their forums. There is ALOT of info there

»forums.gentoo.org/index.php

elboricua
El Subestimado
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
Bronx, NY

elboricua to NeoGeo64

Premium Member

to NeoGeo64
quote:
Does Gentoo also install commonly used Linux apps such as XMMS, Gaim, Xine, xchat, etc?
Yes and no. All the packages that you mentioned are in portage. You will need to install those after the initial core system install is complete. emerge <package name>

A lot of people who try Gentoo are under the impression that the install leaves you with X and all the other basics that most distros install for you. A Gentoo install leaves you with a working core system. A command line environment with no frills. It is up to you to decide what frills you want. That is the appeal of Gentoo. Everything you want and nothing you don't.

Read all of the documentation on the site. Everything you need to know is plainly there in the documentation.

»www.gentoo.org/index-docs.html

computx
nullus cogito ergo google.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-02
Kirksville, MO

computx to NeoGeo64

Premium Member

to NeoGeo64
the gentoo install guide will help you in selecting packages you need. By default there isn't even a system logger until you add it.
adding packages is easy with portage.

guycad$
In Search Of Free Speech
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Pompton Lakes, NJ

guycad$ to NeoGeo64

Premium Member

to NeoGeo64
Just a 'heads up'.

There have been problems recently with compiling glibc-2.2.5-r7 (during the gentoo install process) and with emerging kdebase (during the 'Set Up Your Desktop process).

IF you encounter these problems, there are workarounds.

The glibc-2.2.5-r7 compile problem can be worked around by changing the MAKEOPTS and FEATURES options in /etc/make.conf file.

The kdebase compile problem is the result of a negative interation between XFree 2.4.1 and KDE-3.0.x. This is because kde 3.0.x uses a customized version of library normally provided by Xfree. The workaround for this problem invloves applying a patch. I'll edit and post the relevant links tomorrow when I get back to work.

In the meantime, you can do a search at »forums.gentoo.org. Search for 'glibc' and 'kde

Have fun and good luck

delete
Bleek..
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23
Bronx, NY

delete

Premium Member

said by guycad$:

The glibc-2.2.5-r7 compile problem can be worked around by changing the MAKEOPTS and FEATURES options in /etc/make.conf file.2003
Actually not .. though i hear the problem has passed .. if you did a bootstrap at the time when thses problems where happening, nothing will save you .. i did what you stated above .. and a few other htings .. error was like "src_compile" ..

so .. anyway .. bootstrap again or face the error forever ..

dangerweasel7
Confirmed Luddite
join:2000-07-21
Portland, OR

dangerweasel7 to NeoGeo64

to NeoGeo64
Just follow the install guide and all will be well. Pretty much walks you through the whole process explaining as it goes.