Search similar:

uniqs

1busyman
join:2001-03-22
Lake Worth, FL

1busyman to hoffa3

to hoffa3

Re: best cable routers

Go for the Netgear RT314 with 4 port hub. Read the user reviews on CNET.com on the linksys and the Netgear and you will see the Netgear is far superior to Linksys as reported by users. In fact you will see many Linksys users posted there after they returned the Lynksys and bought a Netgear. Almost 100% of users who bought the Netgear reported this is a quality product they were happy with. Also Netgear tech support blows away Linksys. Netgear may cost $20-$30 more out the door, but well worth it. Amazon.com hasthem for $130 with free shipping, and there is a $30 mail in rebate making the net cost $100.

Rhaps
Premium Member
join:2001-02-23
New York, NY

Rhaps to hoffa3

Premium Member

to hoffa3
I ll go for the linksys, I have had mine since it was released and it works just fine either with my former DSL and now my Road Runner cable.
Easy to install. It is just great!
Just dont forget to switch off all your boxes (cable, router and computers) before making any changes or you ll have some little troubles to configure it. And you dont need any hub.
It has many possibilities even to expose one PC to the web and keep the others cloaked.

scragg2
join:2000-10-01
Virginia Beach, VA

scragg2 to 1busyman

to 1busyman
said by ustiny:
Go for the Netgear RT314 with 4 port hub. Read the user reviews on CNET.com on the linksys and the Netgear and you will see the Netgear is far superior to Linksys as reported by users. In fact you will see many Linksys users posted there after they returned the Lynksys and bought a Netgear. Almost 100% of users who bought the Netgear reported this is a quality product they were happy with. Also Netgear tech support blows away Linksys. Netgear may cost $20-$30 more out the door, but well worth it. Amazon.com hasthem for $130 with free shipping, and there is a $30 mail in rebate making the net cost $100.
Ever read something and go hmmm.... I just did so; I went and read all 64 reviews of the Netgear RT314 on CNET. I saw two reviews of people who had the Linksys and took it back and got a RT314. Both where using DSL and had PPPoE problems. Maybe I missed a few or something but two does not count as "many" that returned the unit and got a Netgear in my book.

93% of the 64 reviews liked the Netgear. 87% of the 316 reviews of the Linksys liked it. I did not have time to read the 316 Linksys reviews. I did read a few, one person even had a Linksys and a Netgear and took the Netgear back because he said the Linksys was easier to configure and had more features.

I'd say for the money the products are about equal. The Netgear is a bit more expensive and might be a better box (I'm not sure, I own a Linksys).

While at CNET I noticed that three products from Linksys where on the top 10 produtcs people where looking for information about and buying. #1 was a Linksys BEFSR41, number three was a Linksys BEFSR11. (Netgear had no products on the top 10 list).

There is noting wrong with passionately indorsing a product but please don't spin the facts to support your argument.

1busyman
join:2001-03-22
Lake Worth, FL

1busyman to hoffa3

to hoffa3
»www.practicallynetworked.com/

Try that site listed above. It has reviews of every router. I personally just ordered a NG RT314 because the reviews I have read on it indicate it is the better choice. Plus I already own a NG hub and think their tech support is terrific. If I had a few weeks to wait I would personally hold off and buy the newly released NG RP114 that will be replacing the RT314. Is is in essence the same router, but 1/3 the size. It was just announce last week but not in distribution as of yet. The new model has a street price of $145. The RT314 is on Amazon.com for $129 with free shipping and has a $30 mail in rebate. Net cost =$99. Can not go wrong at that price
System

to erothenbaum8

Anon

to erothenbaum8
My com21 modem would not work with my Linksys BEFSR41 router so I tried the Netgeart RT314 and didn't either. So I bought a Bestdata CMX110 cable modem and everything worked perfectly. There seems to an issue with the Com21 (or atleast some versions) and the WAN port on routers.
blckshdw8
join:2000-07-22
St Catharines, ON

blckshdw8 to hoffa3

to hoffa3
said by hoffa:

Is it possible to get a router that will replace the cable company's com 21 modem? This will save me money if I don't use the cable company's modem.

Most of the routers I have seen just hook up to cable or dsl modems and don't replace it.
There is one modem actually, the old Cisco modems have a hub built right into them. So you just plug your coax cable into the modem and you've got a 4 port hub also.. However, these are old, and they're not the best. With @Home if you have any problems with the modem flagging (with multiple computers) its got to go all the way up to NOC and they have to send a signal down to the modem to flash the firmware inside the modem.. ANd ive come accross the problem a few times where this had to be done and it can take a while....

Anyway, thats the only modem that i know of that you could possibly use as a 2 in 1 combo deal
blckshdw8

blckshdw8 to SisterDiscord

to SisterDiscord
said by SisterDiscord:
Also, COM21 is a proprietary hardware system...only COM21 modems will work with a COM21 headend, and vice-versa. You won't be able to buy a DOCSIS cable modem you can just plug in and let fly. I'll also vote for the RT314 mentioned above...heard lots of good things about it.
Yes you can.. thats the whole point of DOCSIS.. Any DOCSIS modem will work in under a DOCSIS headend,