kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

AD-Aware Question on 4.5...

I have had problems running AD-Aware a while back, and it did a job on my PC! Due to the fact didn't know about removing web-h etc. Now noticed this with the new version 4.5 AWARE

**AD-AWARE now includes the detection and removal of Adware, Alexa, Aureate v1.0,2.0 and 3.0, Comet Cursor v1.0 and v2.0, Cydoor, Doubleclick, DSSAgent, Flyswat, Gator, TimeSink v1.0 and v2.0, Web3000 and Webhancer. EverAd and OnFlow detection added in version 4.5
Download: Version 4.5 (593 KB) and latest**

Does this mean I don't have worry about using it, just find and have AD-Aware do the rest, or do I still have to uninstall certain programs like 'WEBHANCER,WEB3000'?
tnm456
join:2001-01-28
Connellsville, PA

tnm456

Ad-Aware wills till screw your connection if used to remove
Webhancer

To remove the agent, Click: START-->SETTING-->CONTROL PANEL
double click on ADD/REMOVE Programs.
scroll down to WEBHANCER AGENT and click ADD/REMOVE.

1. In your Windows (Winnt) directory, you can delete these files as well, as they are dll's and files used only by the agent:
sporder.dll
webhdll.dll
whagent.inf
whInstaller.exe
whInstaller.ini

2. Delete the WebHancer folder in the Program Files directory. (If you get a sharing violation on the wbhshare.dll its because its been loaded, you'll need to reboot before deleting this directory).

3. Delete all the files out of you temp directory (most likely c:\temp). These files were put here temporarily during installation.

atlansi.dll
atlunicode.dll
license.txt
regwebh.dll
sporder.dll
wbhsh are.dll
webhdll.dll
whAgent.exe
whAgent.inf
whAgent.ini
whiedc.dll
whiehlpr.dll
whi ehlpr.ini
whieshm.dll
whInstaller.exe
whInstaller.ini

If you used Ad-Adware to remove this application and lost connecttivity

You should Reinstall Webhancer, Then uninstall using prescribed method

Best method for Web300o is using Add/Remove programs
If this fails, reinstall program and remove again.
you my want to run Ad-Aware after removal to clean any
left over registry entries

Wildcatboy
Invisible
Mod
join:2000-10-30
Toronto, ON

Wildcatboy to kcazzie

Mod

to kcazzie

Regardless of the kind of spyware Ad Aware finds it would always be a good idea to uninstall the program first and then clean what's left by Ad Aware. The problem is usually caused by Ad Aware deleting certain portions of the software that do the spying and not all of it. As a result your software may end up not responding well and you may not be able to uninstall it because now it has lost some portions of it and Windows gets confused as how to get rid of the rest. Noe it may not happen all the time and for all spyware but it would be a good idea to ask around first before clicking on that remove button.

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

Is it just WEBHANCER & WEB3000 that I have to worry about?

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro to tnm456

to tnm456
Had (another) recent run-in with webHancer. Got installed, but I detected it before rebooting my system. Once more there was no listing in the Add/Remove Software applet in the Control Panel. If you run into this situation, use this:

Start/Run c:\windows\whInstaller.exe /uninstall whAgent

After you've done that, reboot the system because some of the files associated with webHancer will most likely be in use, even at that point. Rebooting releases them so they can be deleted. After you've done that, AdAware can safely take care of everything in the Windows folder, the Windows/Temp folder and the registry.
tnm456
join:2001-01-28
Connellsville, PA

tnm456 to kcazzie

to kcazzie
Conducent/Timesink - can be a nasty read from my page
Aureate/Radiate- Special removal tool
Webhancer - look at earlier post
Web3000- Add/Remove programs
Gator-Ad Aware will do 90% removal (misses G2fsg.exe)
Comet-Special Removal program

Cydoor doesn't seem as hard to clean. My experience with
it, It will reinstall itself every time the program
that installed it get launched.

Information reguarding these spyware application is availible at link below

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
I kept an .exe file of WEBbaster, just in case! (to install to un!!!!) Don't they care, the frist time I ran AD, never had my PC go done so hard,thought that was it! I was very mad at JOHN, but was when 4.0 just came out, not sure he knew about what would happen!

EmilioG
Whats This?
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
New York, NY

EmilioG to 2kmaro

Premium Member

to 2kmaro
2KMaro; How is it that WebHancer is getting installed so often on your systems? You've written how you've had a few run-ins with WH in the past, is there anyway to block it permanently?

2kmaro
Think

Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

May try the "put a dummy file in its place and make it read only so it can't be overwritten" trick. Really don't care. I keep finding it, and just making note of who I lovingly received it from. Actually, I've only had it twice: once from Crescendo audio player and now from someone's effort to sell what DrTCP and DSLR gives away free: a TCP/IP tweaker.

In both cases, the notice that webHancer was going to be installed was hidden below 'eye-level' at the tail end of the software use license window during installation. No option as to whether or not to include it during the installation is provided. No way to get around it - if you want to install the software, even to just examine it, you are going to end up with webHancer on the system.

I don't even know why they try to hide it since they're going to install it anyhow. Might as well put up a BIG BOLD STATEMENT: We're Giving You webHancer as a No-Cost Addition since they aren't giving anyone the option of not installing it during setup. By not rebooting my system, in effect it only got about 1/2 or 3/4 installed - and I think that's why it never seems to show up in my Control Panel Add/Remove Software list. Good thing I wrote down those how to get rid of it instructions the first time around!;)

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I should probably just try this myself, but with the "read-only dummy" trick, does Ad-Aware still find the files name and complain that you have Spyware, or is Ad-Aware more sophisticated than that?

2kmaro
Think

Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

I thought of the same thing after posting the above. Two problems I'd see with that strategy:
#1 - AdAware would probably flag it every time it was run, but that would be acceptable.
#2 - during installation of software containing webHancer, the installation would probably fail and that might create more problems than just letting it go on to completion, and then uninstall webHancer.

Given those thoughts, I'll just let webHancer have its way with the system, trust in AdAware to find it (I'm getting in the habit of running it after new installs anyhow), and throw the trash out as it piles up!:)

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

Rxdoxx

Just a reminder that when I saved information on doubleclick to a notepad file and named the file doubleclick.txt, AdAware spotted it and wanted to remove it. So I would guess that it will spot anything also similarly named also