All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

LiQiCE
join:2001-05-31
Herndon, VA

LiQiCE to 2kmaro

to 2kmaro

Re: ATTN! Cox HSI is setting transfer limits!

Sheesh, I didn't think to do the math ... but 7.5GBs is really nothing if you're using filesharing at all. Too bad I can't disable my upstream for the filesharing client I use. I really only utilize about 10k/s or about 80 Kbps of my upstream for uploads ... But you would still easily go through that by leaving a filesharing client open on a few nights during a given month.

Considering my roomate does the same thing (runs a filesharing client once in awhile overnight to finish downloads) ... Its probably fairly easy to go through the 7.5GBs ... Probably time to search for a new service or see how crazy Cox is about enforcing these new policies.

I wonder if I should switch regardless since I plan on utilizing my broadband connection for X-Box Live, and I know I need a fairly decent amount of upstream bandwidth for the service. Even without filesharing it wouldn't be hard to imagine going over 7.5GB simply by playing a game obsessively for a few weekends.
said by 2kmaro:
Don't know where their basis is coming from. They do have the ability to monitor bandwidth user on a per user basis - I've known that since day one of the service with @Home. Can't wait to see if I get one -- while I do no file sharing, I am here several hours per day.

Oh - again, I would suspect the upload of files more than anything else unless you're (and I mean "you're" in the anyone sense, not you personally) an avid MP3 or movie collector, it shouldn't be a problem on the download side.

--- Let's do some upload math (someone check me on these numbers, sometimes I misplace decimals)---

7.5GB = 7,500,000,000 * 8 = 60,000,000,000 bits

192,000 bits/sec upload speed (per LiQiCE's post earlier)

60,000,000,000/192,000 = 312500 seconds = 5208.333 minutes = 86.806 hrs = 3.617 days.

3.617 days is just over 10% of a month's worth of days. Basically that says that if someone is uploading from your machine for 6 minutes of each hour throughout the month, then you've just exceeded your 7.5GB limit.

[text was edited by author 2002-11-11 23:12:23]

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

You've brought up an interesting point with the XBox thing! Wonder how Cox is going to figure that into their service model when they and Microsoft go on line in their teamed effort! Might just have to take a lesson from SpeakEasy and offer a "Gamers" service option! That service runs $59.95/month.

charterengr
Premium Member
join:2002-03-09
Newnan, GA

charterengr

Premium Member

We're working directly with Microsoft on Xbox. Initial indications are that b/w consumption by Xbox will not run up against these limits.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to 2kmaro

to 2kmaro

Re: ATTN! Cox HSI is setting transfer limits!

I will try an get some answers on the bandwidth issues using X-box live and gaming.

This is still relatively new for our tech support people and so I'm sure they too have a few questions of there own.
TechLarry
join:2002-02-02
Fairfax, VA

TechLarry to LiQiCE

to LiQiCE

What about Online Gaming ?

What about Online Gaming? This is one of the main reasons for betting broadband!

Liquid Ice brings up something else interesting. Why do we in NoVa get our bandwidth cut in half compared to other Cox area's ?

TL

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

I don't think on-line gaming is going to be a heavy player - of course I've been wrong twice this year already.

But you might want to check out the link in this post:
»Bandwidth Use Chart
which is to a table of how much traffic various activities generate - including some gaming numbers. Remember that the table is based on a 5GB/month download limit, not 30.