Butler, PA

Maranello to leonard082

MVM

to leonard082

Re: How to build a water tower (bong)

said by leonard082:
k.. sorry
It is just I get so excited
I ll change the question to the one that has connection to water cooling then. Here they are:
1. What is the different between submersible and regular pump? Can regular pump work under water?
2. Is it true that ping pong balls inside bong will drop the water temperature?
1. submersible is one the runs in the water. inline is one that runs out of the water. the via aqua 1300 is both and can be run either way... it is the one i use...
»becooling.safeshopper.co ··· .htm?710

2. yes its true if the ping pong balls are suspended. poke a hole in the ball and put fishing line through it, tie them at different heights to the drain grate.... dont use too many or you kill air flow. basicly they give the falling water a longer time to travel thru the up-rising air (more surface area) thus cooling the water more.
Maranello

Maranello

MVM

to help you understand the ping pong thing....

blue = falling water
purple = cool airflow
black = ping pong balls
red = fishing line

leonard082
Hopping Zone
join:2002-10-18
Woodside, NY

leonard082

I see, thx you .
You are such a good teacher, are you interested in having a student right now?
I do some research in the net and I find out that one of the web site suggesting to have 60 degree T instead of 90, is that gonna make the bong better?

»www.daocplace.com/index. ··· cle=bong is the link

This is the picture

And about the pump.. can I put 2 pump in the water and connect the hose with Y connector instead putting them in separate location?
[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 16:50:40]

Toasted Comp$
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Pasadena, CA

Toasted Comp$ to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello
said by Maranello:
said by Toasted Comp$:
You forgot to mention that when you use a bong the water evaporates really fast and you half to refill it a bunch...which is a pain because you usually want to run distilled water through it, because then you need to keep buying this special water to run through it.

If you get a big heatercore with some good fans you can beat those temps no problem.

Looking good though
said by Maranello:
Towers use about a gallon of water every 24 hours so just use tap water.
and no a heatercore or radiator cant beat a towers temps. with a h.c. or rad. your cooling the water by dissipation. during the process not all the water is cooled... the water touching the walls of the radiator is doing all the cooling leaving the water in the center still trying to cool.

the tower works with evaporation. the water leaves the showerhead and is cooled by passing air. the hot water molecules are evaporated. a big benefit to this is the fact that the falling drops of water are all completely cooled resulting in a water temp that is below ambient.

-----
said by leonard082:
Is innova water block better than maze 3 danger den? It almost cost the same. Can you suggest a good water block but cheap I am not feeling spend $ 70 for a piece of copper.
i still say swiftech makes the best block.....

»www.crazypc.com/Merchant ··· ode=9303

»www.sidewindercomputers. ··· 2uh.html

but the maze3 is very close in performance....(get the copper top)
»www.dangerden.com/mall/maze3.asp

innovatek makes great stuff but they want too much for their blocks and i personally like 1/2" systems. you wont be unhappy with either of the blocks above.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 09:26:56]

Radiator dissapate the heat from the water and the fans cool the radiator which it turn moved the heat away and cools the radiator.

Bongs sprinkle the water in little droplets which cools the water...

In both cases you will not get a much lower temp then ambient with out an aid of something to chill the water.

So what I am trying to get at is that you can use an inline setup with a radiator and won't half to keep refilling, you dont half to find a special place to put all that bong stuff, and get the same temps as a bong and in some cases better than a bong cooled rig.

A nice sized heatercore with high CFM fans setup in a shroud will get you ambient and below temps easily and you won't half to refill the water every 24 hours or whatever if it is inline.You also won't half to waste all that money on multiple pumps, showerhead, all that distilled water, ect.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-22 19:55:39]

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello
Click for full size
In other news: pot smokers are now able to reach 3GHz on AMD chips

Maranello
MVM
join:2000-12-08
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

one radiator (or two for that matter) can not get lower temps then a tower system..... i owned 3 different kind of radiators... including the black ice pro extreme and not one of them came within 5C of my tower temps. its simple really.... think about it. metal absorbs heat from water then air has to cool metal..... in a tower air cools water directly..... its pure physics. air is the worst when used to transfer heat, add a hunk of metal between the air and what your trying to cool and things set worse. direct contact with an object will cool better.... thing is in a rad system there isnt direct contact. you expect the air to cool a metal ..... a metal that isnt having full contact with the water, some has to be in the center right?

as for not getting much less then ambient, it is 70F/21.1C in my house on average. my water temp is always a steady 56F/13.3C.... in both towers.

as for filling the water i personally dont think every 24 hours is a big deal but even at 48hours you arnt going to run out and your water wont change in temp.

as for cost its about $65-70 to build a tower with 2 pumps. compared to a cheap radiator or heater core and pump thats about $50... my "top of the line" black ice and pump was $85 (black ice was $65 alone) so dollar for dollar its on par with radiator cooling.

dont like the look of it?? HRM and i were just talking about this. instead of PVC use lucite tubes and neon or better yet use black light die... you can have this effect in green or blue

and yes i know this isnt for everyone. ill be working with Cody0 See Profile to help him build something he can transport since he goes to lan partys (hell, im giving him my black ice). something like a tower would not work for him.

Toasted Comp$
Premium Member
Pasadena, CA

Premium Member

to Maranello
No wonder you were getting bad temps...black ice sucks.They are small and don't work well, you should try a heatercore that will fit 2 120mm fans and make a shroud, you will see what I am talking about.

Got any temp screens you want to share with us???

sjohnson3
join:2001-02-28
Sioux Falls, SD

sjohnson3 to Maranello

to Maranello
I *HATE* Dr. Spock. Where are the switches, corner chairs and dunce caps when you need'em...

KAD Imaging
Just Shoot It
Premium Member
join:2002-09-21
Hialeah, FL

KAD Imaging to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello

Okay so assuming I decide to go that route, how far away can you place the bong?

How do you have it put away and not lose (or gain) temperature one the way to the pc?

I mean if the water temp is 13º at the bong, how can the water run all through your house and not at least increase to room temp by the time it reaches the box?

If you used metal tubing for the long run, would that keep it cooler?

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

hows 30C for a 2.26 pee4 @ 3ghz running 1.75vcc?

cobrakon: mine is about 8 foot from the computer on both systems. temps wouldnt go up and if they did not much at all. as for metal tubing, i think it would hurt the temps.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-23 00:00:10]

Toasted Comp$
Premium Member
Pasadena, CA

Premium Member

to Maranello
Xp 2400+@2314Mhz 1.85V using a MCW372, 1/4ID 3/8OD tubing Eheim 1048, Heatercore that holds 2 120mm fans(Enermax ajustable fans)...and no shroud .Also using 6 month old distilled water

In my new Lian-Li PC65B...heatercore didn't fit inside so is running ghetto style ontop of the case.

Is that any good???

sjohnson3
Sioux Falls, SD

sjohnson3

Water cooling with radiators is a great solution.

Physics 101 quicky: The best a closed radiator at 100% efficiency is to cool water to room temperature.

With a bong (evaporative cooling), with less than 100% room humidity, the water will evaporate, cooling the water below ambient (room) temperature. At 100% humidity and 100% efficiency, the best the bong will do is to cool water to room temperature. So, a bong may or may not be as efficient as a closed radiator system, but it can and will provide cooler water than a radiator under normal conditions.

Toasted Comp$
Premium Member
Pasadena, CA

Premium Member

to Maranello
And here are some pics of my setup

Sorry for the crappy pic quality.

Carbon Unit
MVM
join:2001-07-21
Saint Charles, MO

Carbon Unit to Maranello

MVM

to Maranello
Click for full size
OMG will I need drano with that plumbing system
[text was edited by author 2002-11-23 04:56:29]

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Cody0 to sjohnson3

Premium Member

to sjohnson3
said by sjohnson3:
Water cooling with radiators is a great solution.

Physics 101 quicky: The best a closed radiator at 100% efficiency is to cool water to room temperature.

With a bong (evaporative cooling), with less than 100% room humidity, the water will evaporate, cooling the water below ambient (room) temperature. At 100% humidity and 100% efficiency, the best the bong will do is to cool water to room temperature. So, a bong may or may not be as efficient as a closed radiator system, but it can and will provide cooler water than a radiator under normal conditions.

glad someone has sence

leonard082
Hopping Zone
Woodside, NY

leonard082 to Maranello

to Maranello
Is 60 degree T better than 90 one?
Is putting 2 pump in the bucket and connect them with y connector a good idea?

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

i dont know what you mean.... why would you need a "T"?

i see what you mean... 60 or 90 degree is fine. about the "Y" connector, its best to run the pumps inline for this.... like the pic.
[text was edited by author 2002-11-23 19:47:41]

pipexuser
@pipex.com

pipexuser

Anon

why do you need the second pump? surely its just one continuous system so one pump should suffice (unless the tower is enormous)an eheim 1250 is rated for 2 metres?

leonard082
Hopping Zone
Woodside, NY

leonard082 to Maranello

to Maranello
I see, thx u
are you feeling having another student than Cody?

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
Spokane, WA

Cody0

Premium Member

said by leonard082:
I see, thx u
are you feeling having another student than Cody?
*cracks knuckles* *cowboy music plays*

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Click for full size
Might as well get the obligatories out of the way

leonard082
Hopping Zone
Woodside, NY

leonard082

LoL
You read that Cody? LoL
J/K

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

so..... leonard082 ..... do you have a cute sister too??

Cody0
Bob Vance, VR
Premium Member
Spokane, WA

Cody0

Premium Member

lol EY

leonard082
Hopping Zone
Woodside, NY

leonard082 to Maranello

to Maranello
I don't have sister but I have a church friend with a nice @$$ ... man that @$$ is so... You have to see it to understand it. I was gonna go after her but dang she is older than me so if you are older than 23 I will be more than happy to introduce her to you .

Torinalth
join:2001-02-18
Chapel Hill, NC

Torinalth to Maranello

to Maranello
thought enlightened monks take a vow of chastity to keep the mind clear..... on the other spectrum.... I',m not monk, just an enthusiest.... bring on the women!

hopefully come january or so I'll get my tower going and maybe make it a little prettier for those that want something a bit less..... ugly (no offence maranello). oh thee well.

Torinalth
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Maranello

Premium Member

to Maranello
i have some normal plumbing knowledge, if i do build one of these it will have auto filling off the water lines hehe.

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

said by Kearnstd:
i have some normal plumbing knowledge, if i do build one of these it will have auto filling off the water lines hehe.

my stuff is in the same room as my furnace/air so there is already pluming in there. ive been putting some serious thought into a float system for automatic filling.

sjohnson3
Sioux Falls, SD

sjohnson3

[Screams] "Kids, don't flush the toilet, the float valve has tripped and the bong is filling up!!!!"

Maranello
MVM
Butler, PA

Maranello

MVM

said by sjohnson3:
[Screams] "Kids, don't flush the toilet, the float valve has tripped and the bong is filling up!!!!"

LMAO!!! too true....lol. i live alone so ill more accurately be able to time my flushing...lol.