Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Allentown, PA

Nam Vet4 to winsyrstrife

Premium Member

to winsyrstrife

Re: Announcing the ZoneAlarm forum

it worked after i put the site in "trusted"
but there is no need for the little q mark in front of password, if the site wants 5 characters min.
just say so on the registration page
why hide that fact under that q mark?

John2g
Qui Tacet Consentit
Premium Member
join:2001-08-10
England

John2g

Premium Member

said by Nam Vet4:
it worked after i put the site in "trusted"
but there is no need for the little q mark in front of password, if the site wants 5 characters min.
just say so on the registration page
why hide that fact under that q mark?

You can change your password to a 4 letter word (if you want) AFTER you have registered. I have done it
IGGY9
No Guru Just Here To Help
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to Nam Vet4

Premium Member

to Nam Vet4
Having to add the site to the trusted sites is odd. Actually maybe not odd depending on your setup. But when I signed up during the beta run of the forum. I didn't have to lower any of my ZAP settings. And didn't have to add the site to trusted sites in IE. But this may just be a difference in how we have things setup.
IGGY9

IGGY9 to John2g

Premium Member

to John2g
Well some frustrated users might find that of delight!!:D:D
I went for about a 17 character password.

Randy Bell
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24
Santa Clara, CA

Randy Bell to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9
said by IGGY9:
Having to add the site to the trusted sites is odd. Actually maybe not odd depending on your setup.
Most forums require cookies to register: perhaps some folks block cookies outside of their trusted zone? :)

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
join:2001-12-14
Houston, TX

marti

MVM

No persistent cookies allowed on the ZA forum.

Cookies

Persistent "cookies" are small pieces of information that your browser stores on your computer on behalf of a Web site that you have visited. The Site does not use persistent cookies. In order to provide discussion board functionality, we do use session cookies. These session cookies do not collect information about you, only about your browser session, and they are destroyed when you close your browser. No data is stored on your computer.

Complete privacy policy: »forums.zonelabs.com/zone ··· age.id=3

Nam Vet4
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Nam Vet4 to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9
thats cause i have everything disabled in the internet zone
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to marti

Premium Member

to marti
That's all I have enabled - unless I'm doing online shopping. Only session cookies enabled. I allow ZAP to handle all cookie control. The only issue I've found so far is that I must turn off ZAP Privacy features to use the Dashboard feature. Also at least 1 user has asked me if there email will be displayed in the forum. I can't find anywhere to turn this off in the Profile. Or any info in the Help related to this. I did a users search in the forum but it didn't seem to find me or any of my post. I don't see an email addy next to my name in any post. But wouldn't want it public in a profile. Anyone have an thoughts or info on this?
Well thanks go out to Nam Vet!!:D:D Who just clued me in. Clicking on the avatar by your name gives you your profile. And indeed there is in fact an email addy displayed. Is there a way to turn this off that I've missed? If not. We need to have this looked into ASAP in my opinion.
IGGY9

IGGY9 to Nam Vet4

Premium Member

to Nam Vet4
Yep different setup. So not all users would see what you saw. But good info for those that would!!

CalamityJane
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Eustis, FL

CalamityJane to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9
said by IGGY9:
I can't find anywhere to turn this off in the Profile. Or any info in the Help related to this.
This was a concern to me too.

In your preferences you can choose to show your profile to
l. All
2. None
3. those on your friends list

But you can't turn it off separately, that I have found either

Edit to fix Typos. - the ZA Forum DOES have a spell Checker! Found that, need one here!

Nam Vet4
Premium Member
Allentown, PA

Nam Vet4

Premium Member

jane i just went back to the za forums
at the bottom of the preferences page i picked "none"
i go back to a post of mine and when i click on my own icon
i see my email addy.
can you check(if you made a post)
click on your icon in your own post and see if you can see
your email addy?

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
Houston, TX

marti to CalamityJane

MVM

to CalamityJane
I played with the forum for a few days before it went "live." No option to omit the email address and allow the rest of your info to be displayed, so set your profile so no one can view it.
marti

marti to Nam Vet4

MVM

to Nam Vet4
What screen name did you use? I tried to find your post in the new forum.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to CalamityJane

Premium Member

to CalamityJane
The spell checker here is on auto & will highlight a misspelled word.
I agree with your evaluation of how things are setup. I don't mind having my profile shown to all. I just want the option to choose what is shown within that profile. I think others feel the same way. I have the option to change the email to a publicly known address. But would prefer not to have to go that route. As I prefer any ZoneLabs related email goto my personal account.
IGGY9

IGGY9 to marti

Premium Member

to marti
Well that needs looked at in my opinion. For reasons I mentioned above. I have a public profile here. But if users want to email me they have to do so without knowing the actual address. Then I choose whether to reply from that address. This type of option should be made available or at the very least a email address blocking option should be implemented. It's just a matter of privacy & courtesy. Shouldn't have to not be able to say nice things about yourself without compromising your privacy ( unless you wish to ).

CalamityJane
Premium Member
Eustis, FL

CalamityJane to IGGY9

Premium Member

to IGGY9
Iggy,

I just looked at your profile - do not see your e-mail addy anywhere. (I think it is only when you yourself see your own that it appears).

Nam Vet - I couldn't find your post either (at least not under Nam Vet)

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
Houston, TX

marti to IGGY9

MVM

to IGGY9
Iggy,

It's all or none. That is, profile with email address showing, or no profile at all. The preferances can be customized, the Dell forum uses Lithium forum software, and they have a block for "public email address." (If you don't have a log-on for the Dell forum, you can't see the area I'm talking about.)
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9

Premium Member

Well now CalamityJane has added an interesting comment to the mix. Has this been tested? I'll try with myself not logged in & see what results I get. All or nothing yuck. Options are what make the world go around & what sell ZAP & ZA+ software!!:D:D Should be the same for the ZoneLabs forum.

marti
Color outside the lines
MVM
Houston, TX

marti

MVM

not logged on means you can't view profiles at all. I played with the forum before it went live, and tested that option.

CalamityJane
Premium Member
Eustis, FL

CalamityJane to Nam Vet4

Premium Member

to Nam Vet4
Ok - Nam Vet, I am in this thread
»forum.zonelabs.com/zonel ··· ge.id=94

If you click on my profile you will NOT see anything but the name.

However, if I click on my own profile I do see it.
IGGY9
Premium Member
Chatham, IL

IGGY9 to CalamityJane

Premium Member

to CalamityJane
said by CalamityJane:
Iggy,

I just looked at your profile - do not see your e-mail addy anywhere. (I think it is only when you yourself see your own that it appears).

It seems by default it sets things to "friends only" I haven't set any friends yet. So no 1 can see my email addy yet. Thus the reason you didn't see it.
IGGY9

IGGY9 to marti

Premium Member

to marti
Yep confirmed. As I said - I think - before I didn't have time to do much testing. This is a very busy time of year for me. Even though testing began around the 11th. I just didn't have the time to devote to it. The more I post here - the more behind I get with other things. None of the other users seem to have a public profile set. So I couldn't test the above theory properly.