Search similar:

uniqs

emjayef4
Mjf
join:2000-10-10
Pleasant Hill, CA

emjayef4 to pc4play

to pc4play

Re: [Poll] Where is everybody going now?

>>ATT Broadband is DHCP and SE is static. Since I don't host, I didn't think it was a big loss. Am I wrong?

I don't think so. DTV was DHCP, also. AT&T doesn't usually change the IP address, anyway. I have a friend who complains that he always has the same address, and would rather it change to provide more anonymity.
B_B_A
join:2002-12-24
Jacksonville, FL

B_B_A

quote:
emjayef4 See Profile
DTV was DHCP, also.
DTV...are you talking about something other than Directv DSL, because the big benefit to DirectvDSL was it's static IP. At least it was for me.

CitYbYdBaY
join:2002-12-10
San Francisco, CA

CitYbYdBaY to ninersfan

to ninersfan
[text was edited by author 2002-12-30 00:20:16]

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
DHCP = Automatic configuration of IP addressing
Static = IP never changes

The two aren't mutually exclusive. DirecTV DSL had a static IP, DHCP that could configure your computer with your static IP address automatically.

AT&T Broadband, at least in my area, offers what I'd like to call "Semi-static" IPs. They are nearly static - as long as you have the PC or a router on most of the time, their servers will continue to give you the same address, even surviving a reboot. I had AT&T Broadband cable for over a year, and my IP changed only once, and that was because they expanded their IP pool and needed to move us to a new subnet.

Now that I'm back with them, I was surprised to see that they've removed port 80 blocking. Not that I was planning on running a web server anyway, but I was very surprised to see that they had lifted that block, considering servers are against their TOS.

-- Rob
[text was edited by author 2002-12-30 01:51:10]
Hodad3
join:2002-12-30
San Diego, CA

Hodad3 to ninersfan

to ninersfan

Should I choose SBC Yahoo or Earthlink in San Dieg

DirecTV obviously going out of business. My dsl choices in my area of San Diego are SBC Yahoo and Earthlink. Because I am connected to a remote terminal, for Earthlink I must first cancel DTV before earthlink will send the modem, etc. SBC Yahoo says they can do the whole disconnect and set-up without me separatly cancelling DTV. Price is nearly the same, but am wondering which is the better service to go to. Any suggestions? Anyone know how long DTV is taking to disconnect? I would like minimum disconnect (5 business days at most) time, and more importantly, great customer service. All comments deeply appreciated!!
navychop
join:2001-10-09
Fairfax, VA

navychop to ninersfan

to ninersfan

Increased speed w/Speakeasy over DTV

Just thought I'd report my results. Went w/Speakeasy and was up and running 1 week after ordering. Very simple, smooth switchover. Both Speakeasy and DTV provided my service as "1.5/128." But I'm running over 60% faster in actual download speed with Speakeasy, per DSL Tools speed tests. My DTV email account is still accessible, and the last time I checked, I still could dial up access using the DTV phone #. I hope DTV doesn't plan on billing past the cutover....
Natopotato
join:2002-01-18
Yuba City, CA

Natopotato to Hodad3

to Hodad3

Re: Should I choose SBC Yahoo or Earthlink in San Dieg

well id say stick with sbc cuz dtv has worked out a deal with them and ur gona switch to them any way

i dotn like either personaly

vbp6us
Intel Overclocker
join:2002-10-16
San Diego, CA

vbp6us

Well being in SD myself, go w/ cyberonic. They are available to me. What part of SD?

emjayef4
Mjf
join:2000-10-10
Pleasant Hill, CA

emjayef4 to Hodad3

to Hodad3
said by Hodad3:
DirecTV obviously going out of business. My dsl choices in my area of San Diego are SBC Yahoo and Earthlink. Because I am connected to a remote terminal, for Earthlink I must first cancel DTV before earthlink will send the modem, etc. SBC Yahoo says they can do the whole disconnect and set-up without me separatly cancelling DTV. Price is nearly the same, but am wondering which is the better service to go to. Any suggestions? Anyone know how long DTV is taking to disconnect? I would like minimum disconnect (5 business days at most) time, and more importantly, great customer service. All comments deeply appreciated!!
After 12/30, Earthlink should be able to have your line disconnected as easily as SBC, due to DTV's blanket release authorization. Maybe the agent was unaware of this - you should maybe talk to them further. If they're unwilling to do it for you, tell them to forget it.

You can use DSLExtreme - in fact, I'd recommend them over either SBC or Earthlink from what I've heard. Also, Sonic.net is an SBC affiliate and can use the RT as well. Their customer service is known to be very good (they've been very good for me, so far).

garyhgaryh
@gte.net

garyhgaryh to ninersfan

Anon

to ninersfan

Re: [Poll] Where is everybody going now?

Can I still get in on the cyberonics deal?
I posted on 12/13, but didn't check back until
now 12/30 and am bummed to discover that I missed
the deal!!

Gary
deplorable42 (banned)
join:2002-11-24
Seattle, WA

deplorable42 (banned) to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Going with DirecWay.
petr0lb0mb
join:2002-12-24
Santa Barbara, CA

petr0lb0mb to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Well it looks like Cyberonic for me since Robsliva hooked up another package deal.

Landshark
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
San Diego, CA

Landshark to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
My loop was moved at the CO yesterday while I was at work, and I am now active with Speakeasy as of last evening. Happy days.
rmturner
join:2001-10-18
Kennesaw, GA

rmturner to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I originally tried to sign up with Earthlink, at my roommate's request, "sign up with a big company this time, and no, not Bellsouth!". Instead of provisioning me with BellSouth through my remote DSLAM (as they have a partnership with Bellsouth) they tried to put me through Covad at the CO, 38,000 ft. away. After it was rejected, they seemed to know what they had to do but weren't sure it would get translated down the chain. Since cutoff date is the 16th, I signed up with SpeedFactory, who at least seem to have a clue and a more cooperative attitude. Everyone else says SpeedFactory is smooth sailing. I'll see. At least it'll be NO MORE PPPOE!!
cjl2001
join:2001-08-03
San Diego, CA

cjl2001 to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I'm going with Covad. Signed up on the 23rd, the install kit should ship in 24-48 hours, and I'm scheduled for cutover on the 6th. The DTV connection has been solid so far, so hopefully there is minimal downtime for the switch.

I liked the speed options with Covad better (Telesoho package) than what SBC was offering (only 384 down), and the static IP was worth it. I actually told this to SBC when the cold-called me last week, so maybe they'll improve their options.

Chris

pdunham
Censored By Explative Removed
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Mandeville, LA

pdunham to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
I went with i-55 in the southeast louisiana area. so far so good, they had me setup in 2 days. Speed is good, about the same as directvdsl and a static ip. not many other options in this area.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
Not going anywhere. Staying with cable. Charter, that is. Still rock solid after almost 3 years!
raddicott3
join:2002-12-29

raddicott3 to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Add me to DSL Express, a local provider that offers everything Directv did.
raddicott3

raddicott3 to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I'm Going with DSL Express (local ISP) who uses static like DTV and gives you multiple mail accounts without charging you more money. Anyone who doesn't do there homework deserves substandard service.
jennajon
join:2001-11-17
60021-1326

jennajon to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Earthlink--and they were actually helpful when I had installation problems!

The speed I am at now is 2X times what I had with Directv/Telocity!

mondoz
join:2000-08-26
Houston, TX

mondoz to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I'm signing up with Oplink.net...

»www.oplink.net/

SMCinAZ
Premium Member
join:2000-11-29
Glendale, AZ

SMCinAZ

Premium Member

Looks good...makes me want to live down there!
blackjack29
join:2000-12-28
Memphis, TN

blackjack29 to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Static IP is the only way for me! Speakeasy here I come!!!

Speakeasy.net / promo deal, first 3 months $39.95 then $59.95 ( one year contract
5 email accounts $199 rebate on self install kit and best of all 1 Static IP.
$9.96 more than what I was paying DirectTV with no contact due to I was with Telocity before they took over. You can't put a price on good service, learn this now not later or you may be sorry.
ChrisPC2
join:2002-01-30
Hermitage, TN

ChrisPC2 to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I didn't want to change over, but there were only a couple weeks left, and DTV's network finally started going flaky. I didn't want to go with the ILEC, since they helped take DTV down, but Bellsouth was practically the only one I qualified for, (no EarthLink or Speakeasy here ) and I really don't have the money for anything else.

BTW, BS now has an external ethernet modem that does PPPOE for no extra fee, unlike the first time I looked into their service. So it won't be much of a change, except for static IP, but I really never used that anyway.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-02 18:17:27]
tazmet
join:2002-12-28
Burbank, CA

tazmet to ninersfan

to ninersfan
DSLExtreme

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to cork1958

Premium Member

to cork1958
said by cork1958:
Not going anywhere. Staying with cable. Charter, that is. Still rock solid after almost 3 years!

And so you are doing just what here but to stir up muck??? Just what those dealing with this need right now.

And CHARTER?? Hardly the stellar provider... though maybe where you SPECIFICALLY are.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

How do you figure I'm stirring up muck? Just offering an alternative.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

But you are admittedly not a DTV subscriber... or do you WORK for Charter??? Even worse.

You think cable IF EVEN available has not dawned on anyone here??
Phelanjw
join:2001-11-19
Chicago, IL

Phelanjw to ninersfan

to ninersfan
OMFG I hate Ameritech. Those F*CKING SH*THEADS, I cant get Cyberonic DSL because I have RCN phone service. Thats the biggest bunch of F*CKING BULLSH*T. I am going to look into a class action law suit toward SBC and there hoolagens. I need fast speeds for my business and oiwjaskldfjasl;fjasiopv afiasjdfklasdfjasdfl jasofijasfdokasldjfaskl;jl;jlfkjasfkl....I want to rip my head off.
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

radougherty to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I find broadband providers for our work at home folks. I normally say cable first since it can get installed quicker and usually less ongoing problems (based on three years of doing this). When cable wasn't available I recommend DirecTVDSL, I stayed away from the ILEC's due to their PPPoE requirements. However, after going through Rythems and Northpoint and now DirecTVDSL I'm going with the ILEC's if cable still isn't available. My staff has better things to do then keep finding DSL providers because they keep going out of business. I know there's a bunch of great small ISP's out there (like SurfCity in CA) but my staff needs a stable environment to work in.