spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pk2000
join:2003-01-03
San Jose, CA

pk2000 to ninersfan

to ninersfan

Re: [Poll] Where is everybody going now?

Wanted to go with Cyberonic, took a couple days to get through on their phone lines, but support guy said I was too far from TelCo. The guy was a little "duh" if you know what I mean. Who said they had good customer support???

Tried SpeakEasy as well, they have this cool "DirectSwitch" thingie going on over there, clean and easy, Spencer in customer service was excellent, but they can't service me either! Something about fiber on my line or ADSL circuits maxed out. Man, how come DirecTV DSL was able to hook me up and no one else can, crap!

I guess SBC Yahoo DSL is my last hope.

Neoprimal
join:2002-09-13
Alexandria, VA

Neoprimal to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I switched to netrox. If I hadn't done it through the holidays, I think my service would have been up in 4 days (yes, I said FOUR days). I switched from DirecTVDSL ofcourse. So far, 2 thumbs up to Netrox. The modem doesn't LOOK as slick as the DTV modem, but I plugged it in, plugged the crossover they provided to my Linksys *network everywhere* DSL Router and boom, my MSN Messenger signed in almost instantaneously.

I haven't gotten my first months bill or been on for a full day yet, but so far I'm just here to say it's looking good.

Go ahead and add netrox to that poll so I can vote for something else than other.

Oh...for those who still haven't switched yet and are under Bellsouth as their LMP, go ahead and check out Netrox; www.netrox.com

Very simple process, they'll email you a form to sign and you have to fax it back to them, 4-5 days later your modem will be there and you can plug stuff in and be online.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-03 12:46:13]
tamarisk3
join:2002-12-11
Santa Rosa, CA

tamarisk3 to ninersfan

to ninersfan

Sonic.net for me.

I'm going with Sonic.net. They are local to me and I truly look forward to dealing with a locally owned company that treats their customers like what they are; their bread and butter. I've heard nothing but good reports of their operation and customer service and they supply my workplace with internet connectivity, too. We've had a couple of down times at my work in the last 3 years and everytime we were able to get comprehensive replies to our questions and quick remedies to problems. Yes, it's about $8 more per month than DTV was... What's that? A sandwich and a coke?

Should there ever be a problem where I have to call customer service and get put on hold for an hour or more like what happened with DTV's customer service (won't ever happen I'm told) I can always drive 3 miles and walk into Sonic.net's office and speak with them in person.

g4jedi
join:2002-12-23
Escondido, CA

g4jedi to ninersfan

to ninersfan

I went with DSL Extreme! They do month-to-month and offer the same speed and price as DTV even with a static IP. I placed my order today.
Rvosper
join:2002-01-22
Rescue, CA

Rvosper to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Already moving to Sonic.net - couldn't be more impressed with Tech Support and service. Dial up is fast (42k) in the interim.

I notified Directv I was switching to Sonic and they authorized Sonic to disconnect their circuit right away - of course my login to Directv seems to have simultaneously been disconnected at the same time - no great loss!

IronManCapeCod
join:2000-04-10
Buzzards Bay, MA

IronManCapeCod to radougherty

to radougherty
said by radougherty:
However, after going through Rythems and Northpoint and now DirecTVDSL I'm going with the ILEC's if cable still isn't available. My staff has better things to do then keep finding DSL providers because they keep going out of business. I know there's a bunch of great small ISP's out there (like SurfCity in CA) but my staff needs a stable environment to work in.
A very valid point, which I've made before in other discussions. It seems ISPs appear and disappear on a fairly regular basis, sometimes regardless of the length of time they've been in business or how good their service seems to be. If you don't mind changing ISPs every couple of years, sometimes being without service in the meantime, I guess that's not a problem; but if you need constant, reliable service that's going to be here for the long term, going with the company who directly services your area may be a wiser choice.

garyhgaryh
@telocity.com

garyhgaryh to ninersfan

Anon

to ninersfan
With directv DSL I did not have to install any software to
get my network to work with DSL. When I installed a
friend's SBC Yahoo! DSL, I had to install various software
packages that it was a turn-off. So I decided not to go
with SBC yahoo!

Can I get up and running with no software installs
for DSL Expreme or CYBERONICS?

Gary

directtvsux
@64.130.x.x

directtvsux to Random Nut

Anon

to Random Nut
where does it say $50? I am looking at their site (prob wrong spot) but only found $69 for business w/5 static..

pls post url

thanks
directtvsux

directtvsux to Here

Anon

to Here
definitely... i tried speakeasy but they charge $200 for equipment and are more expensive with lower dwnloads and uploads.. i cant believe ppl dont see that, are speak votes by the employees?

rocket scientist
@telocity.com

rocket scientist to jonescod

Anon

to jonescod

Re: Cyberonic Rocks

I checked the Cyberonic web site and you can't even order service online. Great prices but the lack of info on their web site makes me suspect they're a fly-by-night operation.

CitYbYdBaY
join:2002-12-10
San Francisco, CA

CitYbYdBaY to directtvsux

to directtvsux

it's pretty strange how speakeasy and cyberonic are very close in the poll, makes u wonder hmmmm. but im sure anybody can see the drifference when the two are compared.

Landshark
Premium Member
join:2002-05-09
San Diego, CA

Landshark to directtvsux

Premium Member

to directtvsux
said by directtvsux:
definitely... i tried speakeasy but they charge $200 for equipment and are more expensive with lower dwnloads and uploads.. i cant believe ppl dont see that, are speak votes by the employees?
One can send for a refund on the hardware (I will be putting my refund form in the mail tomorrow).

As for speeds - can only speak for myself, but I am getting same speeds I had with DTV, for same price.

(And no, I am not a Speakeasy employee)

maximus_808
Proud Veteran
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Rainier, WA

maximus_808 to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
My download will be the same but my upload will be smaller. I simply wanted a reliable company with a good reputation. I did not want to go with Bell South.
I am willing to pay 10$ more a month for those qualities.
Whether or not i made a mistake will be determined once i am up and running.
I am NOT a Speakeasy employee.
speed_change
join:2001-08-20
Saint Augustine, FL

speed_change to raddicott3

to raddicott3
about dsl express(DSLX.NET), do they have newsgroups? what about homepage space?? i didn't find anything about that on the homepage. any other benefits to make up for the extra money they want?
thanks for any insight you have.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-05 12:56:55]
micoman7
join:2002-12-29
Raleigh, NC

micoman7 to ninersfan

to ninersfan
BellSouth in the East was my choice. They have many many remote DSLAMs which gives me 1.2m down and 212kup....and I'm 5 miles from the CO. I investigated others like COVAD, but they could not qualify my line because they do not use the remotes, limited to CO equipment only. I had worked with BS on some customer setups in the past, and was not pleased with the support, but that seems to have improved significantly. I signed up online on Sunday (the 29th), and my line was provisioned Tuesday (the 31st), and the modem arrived same day, but to the wrong house. I found it Thursday (the 2ond) and wala..instant success! Sofar, I'm a happy camper!

Neoprimal
join:2002-09-13
Alexandria, VA

Neoprimal to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Been on Netrox for a few days now. www.netrox.com
My speeds avg. out at around 1.3 down/190 up. They take something like 59/60 dollars from your account for the service and shipping of the modem. Haven't been down since.

As I said, Bellsouth is my LMP so all those who have BS as their LMP, I'd suggest you take a look at Netrox. Oh yeah, for the record, I'm not affiliated with em'. I just think they'd be a better choice (especially in the Miami area) than other companies who 1. charge more for supposedly better customer service and reliability and 2. don't have good customer service at all.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-05 15:42:20]
blackjack29
join:2000-12-28
Memphis, TN

blackjack29

HEY I NEED SOME HELP HERE PLEASE, speakeasy sent me this!

2003-01-04 06:05 AM Manual type

The working loop is on Pair Gain, (line sharing will not run over Pair Gain). Looked to see if Bell South has spare facilites available to provide the Line Sharing Service requested, and they advised that they have no facilites available to provide Line Share Service. As a result this order is not qualified for Line Sharing, and will have to be cancelled.

CAN ANYBOBY TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS ? DO I HAVE TO CANCEL DIRECT TV DSL FIRST? HELP!!!!

blackjack29@yahoo.com

[text was edited by author 2003-01-06 01:31:08]

[text was edited by author 2003-01-06 02:02:28]

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
Remote Terminals are a form of pair gain. You are likely being served DSL through a remote terminal, which Covad does not have access to. BellSouth cannot provide Covad a straight line from you to the CO, and thus your order must be canceled. A lot of SBC Pronto customers are in a similar situation. You should find an ISP that resells BellSouth rather than a CLEC reseller like Speakeasy.

BellSouth may be doing you a favor if you're far from the CO. You may have had slow speeds or an unreliable connection, where a RT would serve you a rock solid 1.5/256 because it's closer. They probably have you hooked up to it for a good reason.

-- Rob

delta_tech
Premium Member
join:2000-11-19
Suwanee, GA

delta_tech to blackjack29

Premium Member

to blackjack29
I tried Speakeasy, also, but cancelled the order before I got the reply you did. I am 25,000 ft from my CO, but have an RT around 3,000 ft away. The choice of BS resellers is slim. Very few have rates and AUPs and service without PPPoE that is desireable. I finally chose SnappyDSL, which had a switch-over deal that expired on the 3rd. I chose them mostly for their static IP and relatively lax AUP. There is also Netrox, which sounded good.
blackjack29
Memphis, TN

blackjack29

thanks delta_tech I am going to give SnappyDSL a call and see what they may able to do for me and look into Netrox also.

I am running out of time, and need to make a move fast before I am out in the dark.

Can you explain to me what speakeasy was saying? I mean one minute they said they could give me service then the next thing I got that message.

good news: SnappyDSL
This is a limited-time offer. Offer expires today 1/6/03.
(In order to accommodate the many last-minute requests that we have received, we are extending this promotion until Jan. 6)

Service available in FLORIDA - GEORGIA - NORTH CAROLINA - SOUTH CAROLINA
LOUISIANA - MISSISSIPPI - ALABAMA - TENNESSEE

[text was edited by author 2003-01-06 13:15:59]
royta
join:2002-09-24
Corona, CA

royta to ninersfan

to ninersfan
I just signed on with DSLExtreme. Month to Month, 1500/128, supply my own modem. I told them to take care of freeing up my DirecTVDSL connection.

Here's looking to a successfull transition, hopefully.

Roy

I forgot to mention static IP address.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-06 17:09:13]

delta_tech
Premium Member
Suwanee, GA

Premium Member

to blackjack29
I haven't figured it out either. It seems like all they look for is whether your phone exchange has service. It seems that initially, distance is not even considered. It said right there on the SE status page that my CO was 25080 ft away, yet Covad still accepted the order. Then, it sounds like Covad tries to hook up using the closest CO, which may or may not be the one you currently connect to. Of course, I knew that was the closest CO, so after talking to someone here (a SE DSLR rep), I cancelled the order. As far as new service, I would probably give Netrox more attention, due to less out of pocket expense. If you don't care about a static IP or running a server, you might try Speedfactory, also.

lnphoenix
join:2001-01-05
West Covina, CA

lnphoenix to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Go back to Charter Pipeline. Don't want to be hanged by Verizon. Bad memory lasts very long.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ninersfan

Premium Member

to ninersfan
quote:
Can you explain to me what speakeasy was saying? I mean one minute they said they could give me service then the next thing I got that message.
When you first ordered, Covad estimated that you were within range and accepted your order. But when they went to actually hook you up, BellSouth informed them that you cannot get a copper line directly from your home to the CO, so Covad canceled the order. BellSouth (or a BellSouth reseller, like SnappyDSL) can still give you service through the remote terminal, where Covad currently cannot.

A remote terminal is likea Mini-CO in a box or vault located on the street somewhere (it's not a building). It is usually connected to the CO by fiber. That allows the phone company to reach customers that are further out. Many newer communities are built almost exclusively with remote terminals ("pair gain") because it's cheaper to run a couple fiber strands than it is to run individual copper lines for each customer back to the central office. The problem for your Speakeasy order is that Covad is not currently serving DSL out of these boxes.
blackjack29
Memphis, TN

blackjack29 to delta_tech

to delta_tech
I gave Netrox a call and they was not able to service me in my area.
So I am going with Snappy dsl. Could you tell me if you used there modem or purchase your own? They offer one for $75 or should do my home work and buy my own.
Any ideas you may have on the modem would be of great help thanks. Static IP is the only way for me, due to I run a small home network.

With modem $109.95 ( start up price promo offer) with my own $25.00

What do you think????

[text was edited by author 2003-01-06 20:31:37]

KBoyKool
@telocity.com

KBoyKool to ninersfan

Anon

to ninersfan
Finally voted. Ordered Cyberonic on 12/26. Got a call from them asking me to disconnect. Asked them to try my second line. Will hopefully have DTV until they complete the setup.

delta_tech
Premium Member
Suwanee, GA

Premium Member

to blackjack29
Blackjack29,
I went ahead and got their modem. It is an industry standard modem and I found it hard to beat or match that deal. I would imagine that you can find a compatible modem for less money, but I felt it would be too much of a hassle. If you do some shopping and find a cheaper one you can email their support department to see if it is compatible. To answer your question, I don't think it matters, as long as it is compatible with their network. Also, I got an email from DTVBB last night saying they would continue to provide service until 1/31. So, you may have more time to figure this thing out. My DTV service has not changed whatsoever since the shutdown announcement.
speed_change
join:2001-08-20
Saint Augustine, FL

speed_change

its getting so you can hear yourself think around here. did you ask about newsgroups at snappydsl??

david270
@ras11.floca.alerondi

david270 to ninersfan

Anon

to ninersfan
»www.dajaz.net

CitYbYdBaY
join:2002-12-10
San Francisco, CA

CitYbYdBaY to ninersfan

to ninersfan
Looks like Cyberonic is going to win after all.