spc
uniqs

Leif3
Force Me
join:2002-04-25

Leif3

Where to begin?

Hi everyone,

I am on a broadband connection and would like to ensure that I do not have any viruses and to block any potential security exploits. I use Win2K and update it regularly.

Could you tell me where to begin on securing my computer. Or perhaps suggest links.

Thanks.

user726195
Premium Member
join:2002-11-23
South Pole

user726195

Premium Member

first get zonealarm theres a free verseion and pro version which costs try downloading it and searching for other programs at www.downloads.com zonealarm is a firewall that helps let you control inbound/outbound data. also get yourself a virusscan if you don't have one alreadly.

foxsteve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Campbell, CA

foxsteve to Leif3

Premium Member

to Leif3
Download free DiamondCS RegistryProt from »www.diamondcs.com.au/web ··· prot.htm

Leif3
Force Me
join:2002-04-25

Leif3

I've installed both of these. I have received 7 attempts to access port 137. One of these came from a DNS in Germany. Should I be worried that there may be a trojan on my system?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

Rather than worrying about what to do with these probes, you could upload your logs to either »www.dshield.org or »www.mynetwatchman.com. By doing that, you will be providing a valuable service to these sites and to users of the Internet as a whole, and you won't have to be concerned about which ISPs need to have a message sent to them. These great sites take care of that and because it comes from an organized respected site such as these, if an ISP is going to pay attention, they will more to them than you and I as individuals.

Btw., you will see lots of probes, to 137 and many other ports. If they're blocked, your firewall is doing its job.
LowWaterMark
Premium Member
join:2002-05-16
Wallingford, CT

LowWaterMark to Leif3

Premium Member

to Leif3
Do you have any Anti-Virus protection currently? If not, there is a free one, AVG, available at: »www.grisoft.com