spc
uniqs
Feedboy
join:2002-11-18
Daytona Beach, FL

Feedboy to darkadept

to darkadept

Re: Help Networking Road Runner w/Linksys Router

When I bought my D-Link router, the guy at Best Buy said not to go Linksys. Something about some sort of conflict between the modem and the router. It didn't make sense to me, but I bought the cheaper D-Link and have had no problems.

AmnChode
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
San Antonio, TX

AmnChode

Premium Member

said by Feedboy:
When I bought my D-Link router, the guy at Best Buy said not to go Linksys. Something about some sort of conflict between the modem and the router. It didn't make sense to me, but I bought the cheaper D-Link and have had no problems.
i agree that it makes no sense, and it is the 2nd time i have heard someone being told that.....quite frankly, i think a few peeps need to be slapped around a bit for saying it....that is like saying a monitor is not compatible with a video card....

ethernet is ethernet, no matter how you really look at it...well, in simple terms that is...hehehe
gregc63
join:2002-12-04
Vandalia, OH

gregc63

There were some rumors out there that RR was filtering MAC addy's of Linksys router, but after thinking about it a minute, why would the single out Linksys?

I am a network admin by trade and have found out the the most important thing was the issue presented by Smellslikeip; your connection sequence with the cable modem and the router.
If you take the router out of the box and change nothing other than the admin password(which I highly suggest!), it should work absolutely fine.
I had some problems at first but I was trying to set thing up to quickly without thinking(had to get to work!), I also have a few more things going on on my home network such as a server doing DHCP rather than the router, as well as doing my own DNS resolution.
But if you only have Win9X, 2k or XP on your network, just make sure you remove the power from the modem and connect everything, once you do that, fire up the modem and wait until ALL the lights stop flashing, then fire up the router and go to the admin page and check the setup tab. You should see entries for an IP address for the router on the WAN side as well as DNS servers and the time left on you IP reservation.
After that is all done you may want to reboot all of your system so that they will get an IP address from the DHCP server built into the router.
You will probably need to rerun you connection setup from within IE to tell it you are connected to a LAN.
Hope this was of some help.

I've been running this setup for about 2 weeks and it works wonderfully, been getting over 2Mbs downloads, much better than our T1 at work! I've been waiting for this for a long time, well worth the price!

Good Luck!
[text was edited by author 2002-12-24 10:10:38]

[text was edited by author 2002-12-24 10:11:45]

[text was edited by author 2002-12-24 10:14:42]

AmnChode
Premium Member
join:2001-03-27
San Antonio, TX

AmnChode

Premium Member

said by gregc63:
There were some rumors out there that RR was filtering MAC addy's of Linksys router, but after thinking about it a minute, why would the single out Linksys?

yeah...it does seem kinda discriminatory....but either way, you could clone your MAC address to the router and they wouldn't know the difference.....