how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

twid

join:2001-03-21
Santa Clara, CA

My thoughts on picking a replacement

I'm another DirecTV refugee. I just signed up today with Cyberonic. Here's what I looked at.

PacBell (SBC) - The prices are cheap, but for me the Acceptable Use Police is ridiculous. Basically, you are agreeing to do nothing with your connection but surf the web. That's not what I wanted.

Here is the AUP if you're curious: http://support.sbcglobal.net/legal/aup.shtml

Speakeasy - A little more expensive ($99 for the worldcom line), but everyone says good things. Unfortunately, we're not sure when we might be moving and Speakeasy requires a 12-month contract. Also, their web site is TERRIBLE. You have to go through prequal to see their options, and then comparing the options requires clicking, going back, clicking, going back. Hint to speakeasy: a good DSL tech doesn't make a good web designer.

DSLi - Um, no. Never. Not after all the stuff on them here recently. 8-)

BritSys - They wanted a 12-month contract too.

Cyberonic - They offered a no-contract line for $99 up front and $49.00 a month for a worldcom 1500/768 line. No equipment fee. The guy on the phone picked up within four rings, took my info, and got me the contract quickly.

So, I'm still a little iffy about the stability of the little guys, but I'm month to month so if service stinks I can switch. Honestly, I would have signed up with speakeasy and paid a little more if they offered month-to-month contracts, but I don't want to be stuck with a $300 cancellation fee if we move out-of-state, which we're considering.

CitYbYdBaY

join:2002-12-10
San Francisco, CA

said by AHaxton :
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Everyone,

I got the WAIVED FEE Deal worked out!!!!

Tom from Cyberonics has told me we need 100 people. Please E-mail me (ahaxton@directvinternet.com) or Private Message your phone number and address and I can get your info to Cyberonics. Cyberonics will call you to set up everything; I won't be in contact with you.

ADSL - 1.5m/768k bps

$49.99 a month

Set-Up Fee Waived! (100 People), if we only get 50, $50 Set-Up Fee

No Contract! Cancel Anytime

One static IP included. Add $10 to upgrade to five static IPs.

Customer equipment is provided at no additional cost.

Features and Benefits:
Fast backbone connectivity, Full-time Internet access, Unlimited access, 5 email accounts, 10mb web space, Secure end to end connection, Cost effective, Scaleable, First class support by expert network support engineers, Robust and reliable networking, 24x7 Network watch

Regards,
Alex Haxton
Great! Here are the guide lines for the group deal:

- The deadline for the list is Monday, December 23 noon EST. This offer will be available to all the people that you refer by this time.
- I need Name, Address, Install phone number, and email address of everyone in the group.
- Following is the breakdown of the setup discount:

20 - 50 singed contracts - $20 off activation
51- 100 signed contracts - $50 off activation
100+ signed contracts - Free activation

- Once we have all the names by December 23 noon, we will send a contracts to everyone in the list who will qualify for our 1.5m/768k ADSL residential service by Tuesday, December 24 10:00pm. All contracts signed and faxed back to Cyberonic by Wednesday, December 26 10:00pm will be counted to calculate the group activation fee discount. Any contracts send after this time will not be counted and will not receive the group discount. It is the everyone's responsibility to contact Cyberonic before December 26 10:00pm to confirm we have received their contract.

- This offer is only available to residential customers.

Sincerely

-Tom

We need to hurry up and get going with more people added to our group!
73 keep 'em coming!

Please ask no questions in your email and include everything I need please. Im going to start to ignore emails that ask questions or dont have complete info.

EDIT: 74
I will be closing the registration for this group offer Sunday at 1 am (officially monday).

Regards,
Alex

»New Offer (expired)
[text was edited by author 2002-12-21 21:59:41]

CitYbYdBaY

San Francisco, CA
81 and counting

tacs

join:2002-12-22
Olney, MD
hi alex....i'm a directvdsl cust also..i just emailed my info to you.......does cyberonic let you use hotmail or yahoo....and how about 2 computers...any extra charge..i'm thinking of speakeasy, covad too...maybe even earthlink....i don't much about any of them..not very puter savvy here........thanks

dritchie

join:2001-05-07
Euclid, OH
reply to twid
I just received a e-mail from Alex telling me that I'm to late, yet he said in his post

"The deadline for the list is Monday, December 23 noon EST.
This offer will be available to all the people that you refer by this time."

it also sez "100+ signed contracts - Free activation" notice the plus sign !

Alex also said .
" I will be closing the registration for this group offer Sunday at 1 am (officially monday).

My guess is that all Alex was interested in is Alex, he got "his" 100 and said the hell with everyone else.
What do you say Alex ? did I get that right ?

I will call Tom in the morning and try to be added to the list.

Adam L

@dsl.chcgil.ameritech
Yeah I was hoping to get in on that too, but guess I won't bother e-mailing him.

Does Tom have an e-mail address we can reach him at?

CitYbYdBaY

San Francisco, CA
reply to dritchie
NOTE: this is in response to the post by AHaxton
Ok. If you still want to make the offer. Email sales@cyberonic.com and tell them you want to be apart of my deal, include my email address ahaxton@xiom.net

Gerbil0

join:2001-08-09
Farmington, MO
I just called Cybertronics to be included in the Haxton list, but I found out they cannot provide service to my area

Too bad, since the guy on the phone was very helpful and they seemed like a great company. Plus, their ADSL service plan looked great.

pscalare

join:2002-12-19
San Jose, CA
reply to twid
I am 13000+ ft from the CO and am enjoying 1200/90 with DirecTV due to an intervening RT. I dont believe anyone will set me up with 1500/128 or better at this loop length. AFAIK SBC is doing the provisioning for DirecTV since I don't think SBC is allowing any other DSL providers access to the RT. If this is all true does this mean I am stuck with SBC and its partners? I am loathe to go with SBC/Yahoo due to their poor record of tech support. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA.

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
You should probably stick with an SBC-ASI loop, on the RT, but you should be able to get the same speed you've got now with an independent ISP. Consider Sonic.net, »www.sonic.net

-Dane

pscalare

join:2002-12-19
San Jose, CA
Dane: thanks for the tip, they look like a winner. Is there some way I can get a list of SBC DSL partners in my area?

delta_tech
Premium
join:2000-11-19
Suwanee, GA
reply to pscalare
I have a similar issue in GA. CO is 25000 ft away and my local DSLAM 3000 ft away, mine being controlled by Bellsouth. I checked availability with Covad and it says that I qualify!! I didn't think anyone but Bellsouth and it's resellers would offer service to my home via the local DSLAM. Does anyone know better?

tradergordo

join:2002-12-23
Phoenixville, PA
I ended up going with Covad too (it was the best deal in my area). I was very impressed with the switch, there was basically no downtime at all, didn't have to do anything with DirecTV, Covad handled it all. My service now is 2x faster for downloads and 6 times faster for upload. Online gaming is finally a reality.

delta_tech
Premium
join:2000-11-19
Suwanee, GA
reply to delta_tech
said by delta_tech:
I have a similar issue in GA. CO is 25000 ft away and my local DSLAM 3000 ft away, mine being controlled by Bellsouth. I checked availability with Covad and it says that I qualify!! I didn't think anyone but Bellsouth and it's resellers would offer service to my home via the local DSLAM. Does anyone know better?
UPDATE: My suspicions were correct, I had to cancel my original order with Speakeasy and find a Bellsouth reseller. I ended picking SnappyDSL due to its similarity to DTV. We will see how it goes . . .