All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
askmrlee0
join:2002-12-21
Saint Louis, MO

askmrlee0

No Contract DSL besides Cyberonic and slow Covad?

Hi. I am a DirectvDSL customer in St Louis. I tried Cyberonic (after numerous busy signals) only to find they do not serve my area. Covad has a no contract, low speed package for $39.95 ($21.95 for first 4 months) that's 384/128, but that's too slow for me. Everyone else, Earthlink, SBC (I avoid them like the plague anyway), AT&T Worldnet DSL has one year contracts and termination fees of at least $150.

I will be in my apartment for only 6 months max, so I cannot do a one year contract. After all I already fulfilled this with DirectvDSL. Google searches have not yielded results. Anyone have any info?

Thanks
hok (banned)
join:2002-02-27

hok (banned)

Most DSL providers require 1-year contract except Verizon, Cyberonic, Covad, and AT&T DSL do have an easy to get out 1-year contract. Can you get cable Internet access? I heard Charter is OK in Saint Louis, MO, at least their headquarters is there. All cable Internet access providers have no term contract, but they do charge rent for cable modem.
askmrlee0
join:2002-12-21
Saint Louis, MO

askmrlee0

Re: No Contract DSL besides Cyberonic and slow Cov

Thanks, but I also forgot to mention that Charter Cable broadband is NOT available in my area of St. Louis.
askmrlee0

askmrlee0

...and Charter Cable has a 3 month minimum term, although I could live with that if they had service here.

Mad_dog0
join:1999-10-18
Saint Louis, MO

Mad_dog0 to hok

to hok

Re: No Contract DSL besides Cyberonic and slow Covad?

said by hok:
Most DSL providers require 1-year contract except Verizon, Cyberonic, Covad, and AT&T DSL do have an easy to get out 1-year contract. Can you get cable Internet access? I heard Charter is OK in Saint Louis, MO, at least their headquarters is there. All cable Internet access providers have no term contract, but they do charge rent for cable modem.

Charter has their Pipeline service in some parts of Saint Louis County. The City proper has no cable modem service and isn't likely to get it anytime soon. Since I live in the city, less than a half mile from the city/county line, I'm stuck with either what ever DSL is available, or dial-up.
Mad_dog0

Mad_dog0

Re: Cable modem service in Saint Louis

said by Mad_dog0:
Charter has their Pipeline service in some parts of Saint Louis County. The City proper has no cable modem service and isn't likely to get it anytime soon. Since I live in the city, less than a half mile from the city/county line, I'm stuck with either what ever DSL is available, or dial-up.
Sent an inquiry to Charter. The question was
said by Mad_dog0:
Are you ever going to have Charter Pipeline in the city of Saint Louis?
The reply I got this morning read:
quote:
Thank you for your interest in Charter Communications. We appreciate your interest in our services.

yes the upgrade starts next quarter, it will start in North city then move to south city. the marketing department will send out mail pieces when the upgrade is complete in each section.

Linda H.
I live in the Central West End. No telling when I can get cable service, but I'm inclined towards it.