spc
Search similar:

uniqs

joemontana
join:2002-06-13
San Francisco, CA

3 recommendations

joemontana

AOL - PS2 ONLINE PROBLEM FINALLY SOLVED!!! :-)

Click for full size
Hi All,

Like many of you, I have been unable to access the online features of my PS2 due to the fact that I have AOL Plus and Win 2000/XP. Fortunately for us AOLer's, this no longer holds true, YOU CAN GO ONLINE WITH YOUR AOL BROADBAND CONNECTION!!! And best of all, you DO NOT need the Sony Network Adapter to get online with your console. (But, if you already forked out $40 bucks for the over-priced Sony Adapter, you’re still OK though...).

Well before we start, I want to clear up a few things for you Aoler’s who are new to networking and to those who are skeptical.

First, you cannot hook your modem or AOL’s router directly to the PS2 because in order for it to work the PS2 would have to have the AOL software installed on the console. And since we all know that AOL is NOT installed on the PS2…this would not be an option. So, since we have established that we cannot go online with our AOL connection and PS2 via direct hardware hookup I had to find a way for our computer to rout an internet connection to the PS2 while we are signed on.
As you all know, (or maybe don’t know) it is possible to go online with your PS2 using an AOL connection (any version) by activating Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on Windows 98/ME. Unfortunately, Windows XP's ICS does not work with AOL... maybe it has to do with that little disagreement AOL and Microsoft had months before XP was released... just my little observation. In conclusion, Microsoft screwed us... NOT AOL! Shocking Huh? Well anyways, ICS is pretty much just a NAT (Network Address Translation). So, I figured that all us AOLer's would need is a NAT program that works with Windows XP and AOL and we would be good to go. Well, after testing several NAT programs (and having my OS crash and 2 reformats), I finally found one that worked!!!

Its name, Wingate 5, TADA!

I have tried this program on my HP, Compaq, self-built computer and even my girlfriend's Dell Laptop and I have not encountered an OS conflict yet. In addition, it works with Zone Alarm. Nonetheless, if you installed WinXP on your Commodore 64 and it crashes and dies, don’t blame me... continue at your own risk!!
Of course, do not forget to create a restore point before installing this software just in case you do encounter a problem. So that being said lets continue...

OK LET’S START!!

Hardware requirements:
You cannot proceed unless you meet ALL of the following hardware requirements:

- (1) Ethernet DSL/CABLE Modem

- (1) Internal Ethernet Card (NIC)

- (3) CAT5 wires

- (1) 3 or more port 10/100 Dual Speed Hub w/ an UPLINK PORT!
(Recommended - Netgear 5 PORT 10/100 Fast Ethernet Hub/Switch - Model FS105)

- (1) Sony Network Adapter - OR - Linksys External USB Ethernet Card 10/100 TX

- Playstation 2

Software requirements:
- Windows XP

- AOL 6.0 w/RASPPPOE, or 7.0, or 8.0

- Wingate 5.0
Get it here - »www.wingate.com

Hint: If u would like to use Wingate longer than it’s free 30-day trial period…
Check out »www.PostWarezAgainMikeBa ··· ever.com

Setup Instructions:

Hardware Setup:

REFER TO PICTURE ABOVE FOR HARDWARE SETUP!!!

~ SET UP HARDWARE BEFORE YOU INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE !!! ~

Software Setup:

I. Install America Online software.

II. Install TCP/IP and Wingate
-Your Computer:
The following is a step-by-step tutorial on how to install TCP/IP and Wingate 5.01.
1. Verify configurations of TCP/IP
2. Configure the internal network adapter with a private IP address
(Note: A private IP address is suggested, such as 192.168.0.1)
3. Install WinGate
(Note: The WinGate file is typically called wgsetup.exe)

1. The first step is to configure the Network Interface Card (NIC) that is connected to your computer. If you have already added TCP/IP to the internal adapter, skip to Step 2:
Verify that TCP/IP is installed on the Network Interface Card (NIC) that connects to your internal network.
a. Under the default Start menu select Start, Control Panel, and double click on Network Connections. *note* if using the classic Start menu you will have to right click on My Network Places located on the desktop.
b. Right click Local Area Connection to open a drop down menu
c. Select the Properties option - This will open the properties for all adapters and protocols installed on this computer. If TCP/IP in NOT listed, proceed with the next step. If it is installed, you should move to step 3
d. Click Install to open a new Dialog box
e. Single click Protocol and click Add
f. Double click TCP/IP
g. Click OK
h. Close the Select Network Component Type Dialog box
i. Click OK - you will then have to reboot your computer

2. The next step is to configure the TCP/IP protocol on the Internal NIC. Under the default Start menu select Start, Control Panel, and double click on Network Connections. When using the classic Start menu you will have to right click on My Network Places located on the desktop, which was added in Step 2.
a. Right click Local Area Connection to open a drop down menu and select the Properties option.
b. Select the Advanced Tab and verify everything within this tab is unchecked.
c. Double click the TCP/IP protocol listed in the General Tab
d. Select use the following IP Address
e. Enter 192.168.0.1 for the IP Address, the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, leave the Default Gateway blank
f. All other settings (for both DNS and Advanced) should be left AS IS
g. Click OK until you leave the set-up screen - you will then have to reboot your computer

3. Install WinGate on your computer. You will need to choose the option for Configure this machine as a WinGate Server. While going through the install process make sure to only install the component called “ENS” this is the NAT component that will allow you connect your PS2 to the internet. Continue through the installation process entering your registration key when requested.

III. Setup PS2 Network Adapter or Game Software
- Make sure that DHCP and DNS options are set to automatic!

IV. POP IN YOUR FAVORITE PS2 GAME AND ENJOY!

Remember to give thanks to the greatest QB to ever play the game!

Your Friend,

#16 JOE MONTANA

[text was edited by moderator]
joemontana

joemontana

Almost forgot... I would like to sincerely thank all those who have posted and helped people like myself tune my AOL connection and make my AOL DSL the best it can be. I would especially like to thank Meteor Dive for his kick-a$$ posts. Without people like him I would have never got as far as I did.

ENJOY YOUR ONLINE GAMING EVERYONE!
pjgem
join:2002-09-06
San Jose, CA

pjgem to joemontana

to joemontana
anyone else tried it yet? its too late for me to try because i am sleepy. i will try tomorrow.
pjgem

pjgem to joemontana

to joemontana
IT WORKED OMG it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevNYC
Premium Member
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

KevNYC to joemontana

Premium Member

to joemontana
One tiny correction, Hubs don't work with AOL Cable...only routers.
pjgem
San Jose, CA

pjgem to joemontana

to joemontana
sometimes when i get kicked out of SOCOM it won't let me back in. Dunno if its teir servers or what. HAs anyone else had this problem? and that wingate thingy at the bottom right asks for a username . why>? i think it called gatekeeper?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

said by pjgem:
sometimes when i get kicked out of SOCOM it won't let me back in. Dunno if its teir servers or what. HAs anyone else had this problem? and that wingate thingy at the bottom right asks for a username . why>? i think it called gatekeeper?
If you get dumped by the servers, your name is "in use" for a few minutes, so have two names, and flip between them.

joemontana
join:2002-06-13
San Francisco, CA

joemontana

When you first open Gatekeeper(prog. that comes with WINGATE)you will see the ONLINE OPTIONS SCREEN(for security purposes)and it will ask you for your USERNAME and PASSWORD. (SEE ABOVE)
HOW TO SETUP:
Press OK when you see the box above...leaving the username "Administrator" as is and the Password box blank.
The next screen you will see will be a warning message saying ""You have not specified a password
do you want to continue without a password?""
Click "OK"
The next screen that will pop up will be a box asking you to input a new password... make sure to enter something you wont forget!!
The password you just entered will be your ONLINE OPTIONS Login Password for the Wingate/Gatekeeper program.

So, everytime this box(above) pops up type in your password and your good to go.
joemontana

joemontana

Ouch!! Just found out that AOL CABLE subscribers have to buy the overpriced AOL Router. SORRY FELLAS!
I do not have AOL CABLE... so I am assuming you could substitute the HUB for the ROUTER in my setup instructions. But then again, I assumed I could take the Kansas City Chiefs to the Super Bowl. (DUMB ME)

P.S. - Would one of you AOL Cable users try a 2 NIC setup instead of a Router/Hub configuration.

CABLE MODEM connected to NIC#1 ....
NIC#2 connected to PS2 via crossover cable.

Maybe that will work...someone give it a try and let us know!

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
join:2001-10-23
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

Don't worry! cable users may buy the linksys BEFSR14 router.

Meteor Dive
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive

MVM

See, now I see why it works. It couldn't be done with ICS or with just a main network setup. It was necessary to install allaboard or wingate to get such a console to work under AOL. It didn't work in my previous trials when I tired with just pure plain ICS/Network.

This works, since I just a confirmed it about an hour ago. Thankyou joemontana.
BBMAN8
join:2002-12-23
Roselle, IL

BBMAN8 to joemontana

to joemontana
This is great!!!! joemontana your the man! I just called aol and they will exchange my USB modem for the ethernet modem so i can go with the Wingate and router setup just posted.
One thing is I recommend the ps2 network card because it has modem too and to free up usb ports in ps2 for keyboard and socom headphones ect.
tekpc2k2
join:2002-07-05
Miami, FL

tekpc2k2 to joemontana

to joemontana
Can this same setup be used for the xbox?

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

i bet it is. i'm not 100% but at least 49.9999% sure

Mario813
@aol.com

Mario813 to joemontana

Anon

to joemontana
do we need the ethernet adapter?what will it be for?

mario813
@aol.com

mario813 to joemontana

Anon

to joemontana
nevermind...how dumb of me...:p its either that or the ps2 adapter. i got the adpater. but is it necessary to have CAT 5 wires? or can we get any ethernet cables?

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

cat5 are a type of ethernet cable. it doesn't matter

MarkyD
Premium Member
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

MarkyD to joemontana

Premium Member

to joemontana
CHEERS JOE MONTANA! YOU ARE THE MAN! Thanks a jillion!

Freakx45
join:2001-09-01
Everywhere

Freakx45 to joemontana

to joemontana
can any brand of usb to ethernet adapter work with the ps2 or just linksys?
pjgem
San Jose, CA

pjgem to joemontana

to joemontana
weird i just home from the local store and i can't login to SOCOM.it stays on the screen where it says connecting to socom. the top never changes to logging in then a messege pops up saying if the connection i shooked up correctly. HELP
jim718
join:2002-03-27
Collinsville, OK

jim718 to joemontana

to joemontana
do you have to have (1) 3 or more port 10/100 Dual Speed Hub w/ an UPLINK PORT!
(Recommended - Netgear 5 PORT 10/100 Fast Ethernet Hub/Switch - Model FS105)
or will two nic work

Mario813
@aol.com

Mario813 to joemontana

Anon

to joemontana
plz help! joe!anyone!do i specificly need CAT5 cables?does it have to be a hub?can it be a switch?

thx in advance

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

hub will work
[text was edited by author 2002-12-31 00:14:52]

panocha21
@aol.com

panocha21 to joemontana

Anon

to joemontana
do you really need a hub? Can't you just connect your PC straight to the PS2 via crossover cable? Another question: what about Windows 98 users? Are the instructions the same?

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

correction: yes, no, yes
[text was edited by author 2002-12-31 00:22:59]

panocha21
@aol.com

panocha21

Anon

another question: this works with a USB modem too, right? I have a USB modem, which leaves my computer NIC card open to connect to my PS2 via crossover cable.

thebombs12
Mr. Bombs
San Francisco, CA

thebombs12

right now i don't think usb will work with it. i'm not really sure though. no, the crossover cable wont work.

Meteor Dive
MVM
join:2001-08-31
Silver Spring, MD

Meteor Dive to Mario813

MVM

to Mario813
said by Mario813:
plz help! joe!anyone!do i specificly need CAT5 cables?does it have to be a hub?can it be a switch?

thx in advance
I'd recommend CAT5. Other cables would do fine like CAT3 and so on. But again, CAT5 is recommended. And yes you can use either a switch or hub. There's not much difference between a hub/switch. The only difference between them is how they handle communications between computers.

Mlouka
@aol.com

Mlouka to thebombs12

Anon

to thebombs12
must i have a hub?(mario813) cant have a switch or a router?
Mlouka

Mlouka to joemontana

Anon

to joemontana
nevermind thank you metor drive