uniqs

cyboid
Got Boost ?
Premium Member
join:2002-04-08
Medford, OR

cyboid

Premium Member

[W98] Help!!!! VMM32.VXD missing or corrupted...

Everything I've read says I moust re-install Windows. can't get to the desktop not even in safemode. I can get to the DOS prompt. This file apparently is needed to load win98se. Can anyone HELP please!!!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I believe that this KB article will be of some help.
»support.microsoft.com/de ··· 129605#7

cyboid
Got Boost ?
Premium Member
Medford, OR

cyboid

Premium Member

Thanx Wedge but the path is missing so cannot boot to win98se period.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Can you make a book disk on another computer then boot from it?

cyboid
Got Boost ?
Premium Member
Medford, OR

cyboid

Premium Member

Yea, I have a boot disk...not sure how to replace the vmm32.vxd file. Research sez that this file is specific to each compu, and you can't copy this file from one machine to another...the msg is as follows: "vnn32.vxd is required to run windows. If this file is not in your Path, you may need to reinstall windows".

pillageone
Madison Soleil
Premium Member
join:2001-09-22
Baraboo, WI

pillageone to cyboid

Premium Member

to cyboid
I had this happen before on WIN98SE, I just found the file on one of my other computers and copied it to same directory on the one that the file was missing.

So find the file on another system(the file is generated by windows during install) and after booting with a win98 startup disk copy that file to C:\windows\system directory

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan to cyboid

MVM

to cyboid
said by cyboid:
Yea, I have a boot disk...not sure how to replace the vmm32.vxd file. Research sez that this file is specific to each compu, and you can't copy this file from one machine to another...the msg is as follows: "vnn32.vxd is required to run windows. If this file is not in your Path, you may need to reinstall windows".

VMM32.VXD is the virtual memory manager. You should find it on your Windows setup disk in the following location:

DRIVE:\WIN98\WIN98_48.CAB where DRIVE is you CD drive letter.

You need to extract the file to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory.

EDIT: To extract the file use this command:
EXTRACT /C DRIVE:\WIN98\WIN98_48.CAB C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to cyboid

Premium Member

to cyboid

Re: [W98] Help!!!! VMM32.VXD missing or corrupted

Found this also!

Method 1
At the command prompt, type:

dir vmm32.vxd /s
If the Vmm32.vxd file is not found, you must install Windows 95 or Windows 98 again. If the Vmm32.vxd file is found, note the folder in which it is located, and then continue with step 2.

At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after each command

cd windows
ren folder system
where folder is the folder you noted in step 1.

Restart your computer.

Method 2
Using a text editor (such as Notepad), edit the Autoexec.bat file and add or modify the PATH line so that it includes the Windows\System folder. For example, add the following line to your Autoexec.bat file:
path=c:\windows\system

cyboid
Got Boost ?
Premium Member
Medford, OR

cyboid

Premium Member

Re: [W98] Help!!!! VMM32.VXD missing or corrupted...

Thanx all...Reinstalling W2K. Thanx to Billy G
Sparky12
join:2000-02-27
Nokomis, FL

Sparky12 to cyboid

to cyboid
Do you happen to have a UMAX scanner attached by any chance?

This is a common problem with their drivers and Win98SE, there's a fix on their site.

Possible another peripheral is causing it too.

Sparky

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by Sparky12:
Do you happen to have a UMAX scanner attached by any chance?

This is a common problem with their drivers and Win98SE, there's a fix on their site.

Possible another peripheral is causing it too.
Good point, you should ask yourself what you have done recently (added hardware, updated drivers, etc.) which would allow you to isolate the cause. Reinstalling the OS should be used as a last resort because in most cases it is unnecessary and time consuming. Redoing the OS many times won't fix the problem if related to some of the causes listed above.

Booting off a Win98 floppy using CD-ROM support and using the method I described above will may save you *a lot* of work.

cyboid
Got Boost ?
Premium Member
Medford, OR

cyboid

Premium Member

I tried everything this forum and microsoft suggested to no avail.The machine was sitting unused, no new hardware or software. In the AM saw a blu scrn saying there was an error writing to drive c:, rebooted and could not get to the desktop no matter how I tried...gave up and inatalled win2k which is much more stable as I use it on my other machine. Yeah it's a bitch reinatalling software but I'm tired of fiddling with w98. Guess it would be too much to ask Billy to sell softwre that works. In my MAC days I neverf had to reinstall the OS in 3 years, I've redone win98 7-8 times in 1.5 years...go figure! A disgruntled MAC user.

javaMan
The Dude abides.
MVM
San Luis Obispo, CA

javaMan

MVM

said by cyboid:
I've redone win98 7-8 times in 1.5 years...go figure! A disgruntled MAC user.

Trust me, I understand completely:). I bought 95 & 98 the first few days after release and had to go through all the garbage that entailed. I almost never get the blue screen of death anymore but I've always got my fingers crossed. I decided to wait this time until most of the kinks got worked out of XP before making the change. But it looks like I can probably safely upgrade now; it seems M$ may have *finally* issued a stable OS.