spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Donkaroo
join:2000-07-02
Hawley, PA

Donkaroo

3com cmx or sharkfin?????

I signed up with OOL about 6 months ago and I had a choice of 3 cable modems. I went with the 3com cmx external. I get speeds of 3500-4900k according to dslreports. I have been reading posts that say the sharkfin modems are great. Is my modem outdated? What does the sharkfin or other modems offer that the cmx dont? I really want the BEST cable modem that will unleash OOL's full potential. Thank you very much for the help!
F22RaptorX
The Faceless User
join:2000-11-28
Boston, MA

F22RaptorX

They're all basically identical. If you don't have a problem with the CMX, then there's no need to upgrade. I am still using a CMX (only choice about a year ago), and it's still working great with no need to upgrade.

Donkaroo
Hawley, PA

Donkaroo

Does the CMX and the Sharkfin both have the same download speed limits? I read that the CMX has a limit of 3mbits down, but I get speed test results of 4900k? How can this happen? I always thought that my cable modem could max out at 10mbps?
F22RaptorX
The Faceless User
join:2000-11-28
Boston, MA

F22RaptorX

The CMX is not really capped at 3mbs. It says on the box up to 3,000K, but it can do better. The sharkfin and CMX perform identically. 10 mbps is the theoretical max of the line from cable modem to network card, though OOL network traffic always prevents 10 mbs speeds. I also posted the same question on the OOL forum a while back here. Look a few posts down (some posts contains wrong info).
[text was edited by author 2001-03-08 19:45:57]

Donkaroo
Hawley, PA

Donkaroo

Thanks Raptor, I appreciate the help. You just saved me some cash!