Premium Member
join:2002-04-12
France

Old Computer8 to EmilioG

Premium Member

to EmilioG

Re: Ghost 2003: Floppy for BootCD

Many thanks for idea.
I have created mine in only one floppy disk only with the Pc dos provided in the installation wizard, and have removed all Adaptec drivers as I have IDE CDR/W to give space for mouse driver and the Ghost large Ghost.exe.
All fit in one diskette.

EmilioG
Whats This?
Premium Member
join:2000-09-19
New York, NY

EmilioG

Premium Member

Could you upload your custom floppy minus the Ghost.exe file? Do you have WinImage 6.0? If so, create a self extracting .exe.

macboy8
Any Questions? Let's Roll
join:2001-12-22
USofA

macboy8 to Old Computer8

to Old Computer8
OC-

Do you think that your approach would work for me? I've got a QPS Firewire CD/RW attached to my IBM T-23 laptop running Win 2K, with Ghost 2003 installed. The Firewire interface is via a PCMCIA card and the drive shows up with no problem as G: in Windows.

My hard drive has two partitions: C:\ and F:\IBM SERVICE (IBM's recovery software). Any time I try to backup either the C:\ partition only or both partitions to CD-R, when the backup wizard completes and then Ghost restarts in PC-DOS, it aborts and I get the following error message: "Error 2203: Invalid CD/DVD drive specified." Then Windows reboots.

The CD/RW is available as G:\ in Windows and I have no problems with it otherwise. I've manually checked Ghost's options for firewire support and selected "no compression", thinking this might do the trick, but no luck. To make matters worse, I can't get any information from Symantec's knowledge base about Error 2203 or how to fix it, so I'm looking for any help I can find on a workaround. TIA for any reply.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
France

Old Computer8

Premium Member

I have no idea about this "Error 2203", I have not Firewire on my Motherboard and for the CDR/-W I use the generic driver provided by Symantec witch works well with my IDE Yamaha CRW3200E.

EmilioG I dont own Winimage, I use an old dos program (DCF53) for imaging my few diskettes but I can zip mine.
(Not very useful for most of you as it is in French )
Sorry for late response, I was out of home this afternoon.

EmilioG
Whats This?
Premium Member
New York, NY

EmilioG

Premium Member

Old Computer;
Check to see if your recorder is on Symantec's list of supported drives. Error 2203 is more than likely and incompatibility indication. I've not used Firewire, so I don't know which drivers, if any, you would need to Ghost your drive(s).

You can still burn your Image backup to CDr if you have Nero5. Just create your Image and split it if it's over 650 Mb.'s so they'll fit on CDr's. The custom floppy I posted will work well with Nero when making the first Ghost disk bootable. No, you don't really need WinImage. Thats just for creating/editing floppy images, .IMA, .VFD....

And yes jOOk, Ghost 2003 uses a virtual partition so you don't need a floppy drive to use it, but in some cases, the floppy comes in handy, i.e. Burning Ghost Images w/ Nero 5 is just one example.

Old Computer8
Premium Member
France

Old Computer8

Premium Member

EmilioG, Yes my burner is in the list and have no problem to backup to CDR if i use 8x or 12x speed max and ghost using max compression.
The screenshot show the content of my Boot Diskette i have created few time after I bought Ghost 2003. You can see the drivers I use for.
I dont use the feature using virtual drive from Windows as i am an Old timer i still trust Dos ...

EmilioG
Whats This?
Premium Member
New York, NY

EmilioG

Premium Member

Could you post the contents of the autoexec.bat and config.sys files in English?