Hey Macleod, Get Offa My Ewe
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Minneapolis, MN

Optimum1 to Gargoyle

Premium Member

to Gargoyle

Re: Team Helix Foldinator Donations....

For FAH, I highly recommend it --- especially now that they have optimized the cores such that Windows no longer has a significant speed advantage.

The administration of the diskless systems is really, really easy. They literally run until I turn them off -- one board stayed up for over 4 months until a brown-out freaked it out. I also have mine setup so that EMIII can read all the client directories, allowing me to keep tabs on all those boards. Since I know they "just run", and I can watch their progress, their administration is zilch.

Another advantage: the stripped down Linux environment they run in has almost NOTHING competing with the FAH client, ever. It truly makes the board 100% dedicated, without any additional or unnecessary processes running to distract it from its mission. It's very elegant

//steps down from soapbox//

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium Member
join:2000-09-28
Tha Zone

FKrooG2

Premium Member

I agree with Optimum1 on this...

The BOUNCE project is being created to do just this...

Diskless blades is the way to go if you ask me. An another cool effect of going diskless is you can run more that one mobo off a single power supply...

Gargoyle
MVM,
join:2000-12-29
Planet X

Gargoyle to Optimum1

MVM,

to Optimum1
Well ... it sounds like we have a winner! In fact, it sounds almost too good to be true

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0 to FKrooG2

Premium Member

to FKrooG2
It has been my intention all along to setup a BOUNCE server to run the FAH blades from...

But, lest we forget GAH CLassic can not be run from BOUNCE. So, in this instance for the GAH Classic blades they will have to have a HDD and OS.

I think for now we need to focus on this and get the exact hardware that we are going to purchase...

I can not find the Biostar M7VIG Pro available yet, so I was thinking the Biostar M7VIQ.

Y'all need to decide though as I will not order a thing until this is more organized...

Optimum1, I don't see where you see three systems... I see two MOBO's, no procs RAM yes, Two PSU's but I have to wait on the one to arrive and order the other, HDD's I am still waiting on as well.

Optimum1
Hey Macleod, Get Offa My Ewe
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Minneapolis, MN

Optimum1

Premium Member

Two boards + roughly $300 is what I was figuring....all the other parts seem to be there. Correct me if I misunderstand

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

Yes, you misunderstand.... The total at the bottom is for all $$$ received or pledged... Does not mean that I have it in hand yet. This includes the donations of $$$'s to purchase the items above. If there is a $$$ amount posted by the item donated that means that it was a $$$ donation to purchase the item. Once there is a * by that persons name, then this means that I have received the donation and have it in hand.

If I am doing this wrong it would not be the first time that has happened and someone should please correct me.
MstrBlstr0

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

Jeeez, don't I wish I knew a student....

»www.newegg.com/app/viewp ··· 2&DEPA=6

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra

join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

1 recommendation

Starfish to MstrBlstr0

to MstrBlstr0

I'm getting the impression that there is a lot of potential BOUNCE-ing

I'm doing what I can my friends...but in case you didn't know: I'm trying to graduate from University and hope to have that small piece of paper I've worked so hard for in my hand by July or so

I've developed the first bit of the 'project configuration screen' as well today. Hope I can get it finished near the end of next week (1 difficult exam and 1 paid webdesign project in between)

Gargoyle
MVM,
Planet X

Gargoyle to MstrBlstr0

MVM,

to MstrBlstr0
said by MstrBlstr0:

If I am doing this wrong it would not be the first time that has happened and someone should please correct me.
You are doing a great job MB ... keep it up!

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium Member
Tha Zone

FKrooG2 to MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

to MstrBlstr0
MB,
I will test the classic version of GAH with Bounce tonight but if I am not mistaken, it does work with BOUNCE...

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

said by FKrooG2:
MB,
I will test the classic version of GAH with Bounce tonight but if I am not mistaken, it does work with BOUNCE...

I do not see how it could possibly work as I thought it was a Windows only version.... Unless you have Wine built in or something... I am talking the 0.99 Classic version not the GAH2 version.

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium Member
Tha Zone

FKrooG2

Premium Member

Quick question...
Is this link not to the classic version of GAH?

»gah.stanford.edu/clients.html

I see a linux version there...
[text was edited by author 2003-01-22 20:36:07]

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

OK, my bad then... When the heck did they do that... LOL

OK, if it works on BOUNCE let me know... COOL.... =o)

[text was edited by author 2003-01-22 21:33:44]
MstrBlstr0

1 recommendation

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

Click for full size
OK, people the boards are in.... This is what I am looking at from Newegg so far if all are in agreement... Any complaints post soon....
[text was edited by author 2003-01-23 12:01:02]

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra

join:2000-12-28
Netherlands

Starfish to MstrBlstr0

to MstrBlstr0
For Your Information (FYI):

A few new screenshots of BOUNCE have just been posted

»The BOUNCE Development thread

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

:O)

Gargoyle
MVM,
Planet X

Gargoyle to MstrBlstr0

MVM,

to MstrBlstr0
This looks great to me MB. I like that you went with faster CPUs. I say, go ahead and order'em tonight
Gargoyle

Gargoyle to MstrBlstr0

MVM,

to MstrBlstr0
Hey All ... don't forget the For Sale forum for some inexpensive parts that could be used in our project. Just a thought for your XMAS Foldinator shopping

P Ness
Premium Member
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

said by Gargoyle:
Hey All ... don't forget the For Sale forum for some inexpensive parts that could be used in our project. Just a thought for your XMAS Foldinator shopping

you kidding...i love it over there....

DSmithLady
MVM
join:2002-04-23
Deep South

DSmithLady to MstrBlstr0

MVM

to MstrBlstr0
I have been following this thread and trying to decide how I could help. We've had computers way back to a 540 MB HD (Well to tell the truth, I actually had a couple that didn't even have an HD ...but I digress)

Others have mentioned that they have various older components saved from previous comp's. I also have quite a few of those.

I was wondering, if one of y'all, more knowledgeable people, thought it would be beneficial to compile a list of 'minimum requirements for components'? (i.e. cpu size..Simms RAM...PSU's..HD's...etc.)

I'm pretty sure that Mstrblstr..does not care to be the recipient of useless components that would require adding the chore of disposal to his already generous offer of set-up and purchasing. (Not to mention the money that would be wasted in shipping these items to him.)

Just an observation on my part. What do y'all think?

P Ness
Premium Member
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

software: full versions of NT4/95/98/xp...or one copy of NT and 20 licences... :O)

HDD: 500mb or better

cpu: we are really looking at 1800+ or higher....but i am sure we would takr 1600+'s or higher.

ram: 128mb 2100's or better...no need for bigger...

PSU i am not sure....

MB- i think we are sticking to the new ones on this....since its all in one...
P Ness

P Ness

Premium Member

Oh hey MB...i have a full version of NT & 95 want them both??? i just need to know where to send them?

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

said by P Ness:
Oh hey MB...i have a full version of NT & 95 want them both??? i just need to know where to send them?

Yes, it looks fairly grim right now for the LAN booting thing... Might have to wind up going with HDD's on all these bad boys, although, I didn't want to have too... I am still looking into it.

P Ness
Premium Member
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

hopefully when we convert to XP in march there will be thousands of little nt disk and keys laying around....i mean there are 2700 of us now at the home office....

i still remember when i worked in the local site....700 of us and we had an entire room full of NT disk and books...that was before the real volume licence kick like XP...

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to MstrBlstr0

MVM

to MstrBlstr0
MB, do you need LAN cards that the systems can boot from? I have some, but didn't offer them since the motherboards had LAN on them.

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

Beck,

That would be great... I have a couple of other boards here that do not have onboard LAN that I could throw into the mix, if I could get them to boot off the LAN.

P Ness
Premium Member
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

let me know i have one extra card i can send with the software....

coolspot4
join:2002-09-17
Glendale Heights, IL

coolspot4 to MstrBlstr0

to MstrBlstr0
I've been following this thread for a while and I was wondering if you could write up some small documentation on what choices have been made hardware wise and why those choices were made. My reason for asking is I have an interest in putting together something similar and it would be really cool to be able to build on someone else's work rather than reinventing the wheel.

It would be cool to have on a web page, so we can see what's been done and could see the progress that has been made so far. It gets a little tedious picking the specifics out of the forum.

Also, if there is anything I can do to help let me know. I have my own webserver, but I think it would be cool if something about the Foldinator/Bendinator could go up on TeamHelix.net.

Cheyenne.

MstrBlstr0
Premium Member
Corpus Christi, TX

MstrBlstr0

Premium Member

There certainly will be a webpage as soon as we get a little more organized... I agree it is rather hard to keep up with it all right now.

We are still working on the charter and deciding exactly what to purchase. Right now we a deciding on a mobo.. I may have that solved, but I really hate to go to an outside vendor other than newegg.

This is a Team project and we are accepting any advice we can get right now....

[text was edited by author 2003-01-25 11:08:30]

DSmithLady
MVM
join:2002-04-23
Deep South

DSmithLady to P Ness

MVM

to P Ness
Thanks Mr. Ness...that was very helpful