uniqs

jp0469
JP
join:2000-12-13
Rochester, MA

2 recommendations

jp0469

Tip: login without password

I found that you can make a shortcut on your desktop or in your favorites that allows you to login to your Linksys config. without having to enter your password. Obviously, you must consider the security implications of doing this. No one but me accesses my main PC so I have no concerns. Create a shortcut with the properties shown above where "username" can be anything since the Linky doesn't seem to care and "password" is your login password. That's it! Hope this is useful to some.

JP
jthack
join:2001-12-24
Cibolo, TX

jthack

Great tip, JP. Thanks for sharing!

Jim

spweber1954
join:2002-01-26
Parker, CO

spweber1954 to jp0469

to jp0469

Re: Tip: login without password

Yeah, thanks!! Works great....I was getting tired of re-entering my password...over and over and over and over......

mbi777
join:2002-05-24
Orlando, FL

mbi777 to jp0469

to jp0469
I like it! Anything to make life a little easier!

runninwild
join:2002-05-11
Orange, CA

runninwild to jp0469

to jp0469
thats a pretty cool little trick, nice job

Whirlyblades
join:2003-01-18
Raleigh, NC

Whirlyblades to jp0469

to jp0469
You can also put %20 in as the username (Stores as a space) and then enter your password and check the save password box and this will save your password in the login box for future use.

WSoxRock
Go Sox
join:2000-10-10
Lake Villa, IL

WSoxRock to jp0469

to jp0469
Great tip! Does get tedious having to log in all the time. Great job and thanks for sharing!

GPorter
It Always Works Better When It's On
join:2001-03-21
San Antonio, TX

GPorter to jp0469

to jp0469
The trick doesn't work for me, but then I don't let Windows save any of my passwords-I'll bet that's the key.

In any case, I don't think that this is so much quicker that the convenience overrides the security of having to manually log in-that's just me.

jp0469
JP
Rochester, MA

jp0469

said by GPorter:
The trick doesn't work for me, but then I don't let Windows save any of my passwords-I'll bet that's the key.

In any case, I don't think that this is so much quicker that the convenience overrides the security of having to manually log in-that's just me.

I don't let Windows save any passwords either. It doesn't sound as if you prefer this little work-around anyway so there's no need for us to troubleshoot the problem.

JP
jp0469

jp0469 to Whirlyblades

to Whirlyblades
said by Whirlyblades:
You can also put %20 in as the username (Stores as a space) and then enter your password and check the save password box and this will save your password in the login box for future use.
Actually, the reason I came up with this is because I don't have a save password box. It might be because I don't allow Windows to store passwords.

GPorter
It Always Works Better When It's On
join:2001-03-21
San Antonio, TX

GPorter to jp0469

to jp0469
You're right, I'm not thrilled by this capability, but I'm not surprised by it, either. This is the same format for logging into an FTP server, and it makes sense that it would work.

My real issue with this trick is that it does save your password, and that it's saved in clear text in a shortcut. They're fairly easy to find, so using the trick reduces security (and I'm a security fiend, so that bothers me a lot).

Oh, there's no troubleshooting necessary. The problem wasn't Windows, it was how I entered the "username:password" string. I forgot about needing to specify "%20" or something like it for a null string username. It works fine with something in that space to work with.

wsanders
join:2002-09-18
Lafayette, CA

wsanders to jp0469

to jp0469

Login to BEFW11S4 without password using lynx

It appears that I can log in my BEFW11S4 without a password using the unix browser "lynx". I have firmware 1.42.7, Apr 03 2002.

The "Apply" button doesn't appear at the bottom of each page, so I can't make any changes; lynx doesn't always render pages accurately. Nevertheless ...

rcdiver
Premium Member
Monessen, PA

rcdiver to jp0469

Premium Member

to jp0469

I have to ask why you all are having to log into your router configuration all the time that this would be necessary?
Don't get me wrong, I do like the tips and helpful suggestions I learn here but I set up my router months ago and haven't had the need to go back into the configuration settings.

boomerbubba
join:2001-06-15
Austin, TX

boomerbubba to wsanders

to wsanders

Re: Login to BEFW11S4 without password using lynx

said by wsanders:
It appears that I can log in my BEFW11S4 without a password using the unix browser "lynx". I have firmware 1.42.7, Apr 03 2002.

The "Apply" button doesn't appear at the bottom of each page, so I can't make any changes; lynx doesn't always render pages accurately. Nevertheless ...
That's a little scary. Can you access the WEP settings page and see the stored keys?
boomerbubba

boomerbubba to rcdiver

to rcdiver

said by rcdiver:
I have to ask why you all are having to log into your router configuration all the time that this would be necessary?
Don't get me wrong, I do like the tips and helpful suggestions I learn here but I set up my router months ago and haven't had the need to go back into the configuration settings.

It is a good idea to change WEP keys frequently. (I change mine at least daily.) I also disable wireless when it is not in use.

RyanG1
Premium Member
join:2002-02-10
San Antonio, TX

RyanG1 to jp0469

Premium Member

to jp0469
some people have to re-do their settings for port forwardings and the like, just because you dont access your router's config doesnt really mean others dont.

rcdiver
Premium Member
Monessen, PA

rcdiver to boomerbubba

Premium Member

to boomerbubba
Thanks Boomer, I never thought about changing my WEP daily, mostly because it's such a pain. I put the WEP in the router with a word/number phrase but to put it in the wireless card on the laptop is a major pain since the laptop wireless card wants the 128bit code and not the word, if that makes sense.

boomerbubba
join:2001-06-15
Austin, TX

boomerbubba

said by rcdiver:
... I never thought about changing my WEP daily, mostly because it's such a pain. ...
I agree that it's a pain. That's what kept me from changing mine often enough, so I automated the process:

»Re: Hex WEP Generator (Passphrase)

rcdiver
Premium Member
Monessen, PA

rcdiver

Premium Member

I'll have to check that out tomorrow, from what I can tell it looks pretty cool to automate the process but the screwdrivers I've had over the last few hours is not helping me right now.
Time to put bonzo to bed...

FROSTY
MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL

FROSTY to jp0469

MVM

to jp0469
That's cool!

Now, how about a way to soft reboot these routers via webpage link that doesn't 're-apply' a setting to make it reboot?

Like double click a link that logs in and reboots the router.

wsanders
join:2002-09-18
Lafayette, CA

wsanders to boomerbubba

to boomerbubba

Re: Login to BEFW11S4 without password using lynx

No - I cannot see the password and WEP keys in lynx - thanks for asking I had not checked that. The "WEP Key Setting" button is also visible only as [BUTTON] and cannot be selected (this is how the 'Apply" button at the bottom of each page is rendered), and password fields are blank.

wormie
join:2000-11-19
Lowell, MA

wormie to wsanders

to wsanders
said by wsanders:
There's something wrong with that firmware, I'd think. There's no way it should be letting lynx in without a password. I have both a BEFSR41 and WAP11 and lynx can't get into either without a username (anything works) and the password.

Those damn buttons are a source of irritation, though. They use Javascript, which lynx can't do.

FROSTY
MVM
Leeds, AL

FROSTY

MVM

Something I've known for a while
Applies to IE6, and probably / possibly other browsers.

Open 'window 1' and log into router
Open 'window 2' and browse to a website
Close window 1, leave window 2 open

Now, open another window to the router.
Pops right into the main setup page w/o logging in.

Yet, close all browser windows, then open browser window to router, must log in like normal.

Farseer
@64.198.x.x

Farseer

Anon

This is because the linksys firmware uses session cookies to remember when a user has signed in. You might notice the same effect on a lot of other sites that use authentication. Session cookies are cleared after you close all the instances/windows of your web browser. Thus, the effect you've noticed.

FROSTY
MVM
Leeds, AL

FROSTY

MVM

Thanks for the description. I had a suspicion it had something to do with cookies.

Netscreen firewalls act the same way. Problem with them is, if you don't click the 'Logout button', after 10 minutes, when trying to re-access the web interface if a browser window has remained open, the Netscreen will deny access. Have to close ALL browser windows before it will allow access again. Very irritating.