share rss forum feed

wsanders

join:2002-09-18
Lafayette, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to boomerbubba

Re: Login to BEFW11S4 without password using lynx

No - I cannot see the password and WEP keys in lynx - thanks for asking I had not checked that. The "WEP Key Setting" button is also visible only as [BUTTON] and cannot be selected (this is how the 'Apply" button at the bottom of each page is rendered), and password fields are blank.

wormie

join:2000-11-19
Lowell, MA
reply to wsanders
said by wsanders:
It appears that I can log in my BEFW11S4 without a password using the unix browser "lynx". I have firmware 1.42.7, Apr 03 2002.
There's something wrong with that firmware, I'd think. There's no way it should be letting lynx in without a password. I have both a BEFSR41 and WAP11 and lynx can't get into either without a username (anything works) and the password.

Those damn buttons are a source of irritation, though. They use Javascript, which lynx can't do.

FROSTY
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL
Something I've known for a while
Applies to IE6, and probably / possibly other browsers.

Open 'window 1' and log into router
Open 'window 2' and browse to a website
Close window 1, leave window 2 open

Now, open another window to the router.
Pops right into the main setup page w/o logging in.

Yet, close all browser windows, then open browser window to router, must log in like normal.
--
"When you set yourself on fire and aim for the sky, you hope to leave behind some sparks of heat and light ... Like a vapor trail." - Neil Peart 2002

Farseer

@64.198.x.x
This is because the linksys firmware uses session cookies to remember when a user has signed in. You might notice the same effect on a lot of other sites that use authentication. Session cookies are cleared after you close all the instances/windows of your web browser. Thus, the effect you've noticed.

FROSTY
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-10
Leeds, AL

Thanks for the description. I had a suspicion it had something to do with cookies.

Netscreen firewalls act the same way. Problem with them is, if you don't click the 'Logout button', after 10 minutes, when trying to re-access the web interface if a browser window has remained open, the Netscreen will deny access. Have to close ALL browser windows before it will allow access again. Very irritating.

--
"When you set yourself on fire and aim for the sky, you hope to leave behind some sparks of heat and light ... Like a vapor trail." - Neil Peart 2002

[text was edited by author 2003-03-22 01:01:56]