spc
Search similar:

uniqs

free2scour
Go Rangers
join:2000-11-24
Charlotte, NC

free2scour

Failed to initialize Winsock, please help.........

Hello,

I am running Win ME and when I either try and run WINIPCFG or try and access the Internet, I get the message, "Failed to initialize Winsock". I am able to connect to my network just fine.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

DR.

vwpirate
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Winter Park, FL

1 recommendation

vwpirate

Premium Member

I would go into control panel->add/remove programs->windows setup tab and uncheck communications. Reboot. Then control panel->network and remove all tcp/ip entries. Reboot. Control panel->network->add->protical, select microsoft and tcp/ip. Click ok and ok again. Reboot. Go to start->run and type "regedit". Click on the plus signs next to hkey_localmachine, then system, current control set, services. Scroll to the bottom and delete the winsock2 folder. Close the registry editor. Now go back to control panel->add/remove programs->windows setup tab. Highligh communications and click details. Check off on dial up networking, hyperterminal and virtural private networking. Click ok, apply, ok. Reboot. If it asks you at anytime for the cd you can point it to your winme cd or to c:\windows\options\cabs or c:\windows\options\install.

free2scour
Go Rangers
join:2000-11-24
Charlotte, NC

free2scour

Hey Pirate,

Thanks so much, that worked and all is well once again!!!! Maybe this is asking too much, but do you have any idea what would have caused this problem in the first place?

Thanks again!!

DR.

vwpirate
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Winter Park, FL

vwpirate

Premium Member

No problem. I am glad it's working again. This could have been a number of things from new communications software (aol, firewalls, etc.). A file may have just gotten corrupted during a reboot.