Search similar:

uniqs

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
join:2001-06-26
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez

[XP] and 98 se upgrade, says it can't copy

mfc42.dll and then it can't copy migisol.exe, and then setup fails. This is on a 98se box updating to xp pro. cant find any knowledges bases, and I am grumpy!

Any ideas

Bigcheez

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

I don't really know why people try to upgrade a 9x system to XP. In my opinion, it is a pain in the rear end. Nothing but problems, as you can see.

Just wipe the drive and install clean. It will go in a lot better and run a lot better.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to bigcheez

Mod

to bigcheez
said by bigcheez:
mfc42.dll and then it can't copy migisol.exe, and then setup fails. This is on a 98se box updating to xp pro.

Any ideas

Bigcheez

You are probably trying to perform the upgrade from within Windows.

As stated by trparky See Profile a clean install is usually the preferred path to follow.

However you should be able to upgrade your Win98SE, and avoid the error, by booting your WinXP CD (rearrange the boot sequence in the BIOS to boot your CD-ROM first) and choosing to then upgrade your Win98SE install.

Here's a link on performing a clean install (Setup should give you a choice to upgrade your present installation):

»www.winsupersite.com/sho ··· lean.asp

[text was edited by author 2003-01-22 11:39:25]

dja
Happy to Help
Premium Member
join:2002-03-25
Niagara

dja to bigcheez

Premium Member

to bigcheez
HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98

»support.microsoft.com/?k ··· d=310064

You Receive a File Copy Error During Setup
When you try to install Windows XP, you may receive the following message, where file_name is the file that Setup cannot copy: Setup cannot copy the file file_name. Press X to retry, Y to abort.
»support.microsoft.com/?k ··· 310064#3

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez

ok, so i tried to do a clean boot and the CD rom wont boot up, so then I try to get the 6 disk floppy method, and on disk three, it jumps up and says that my acpi.sys file is corrupted and aborts!

ARGH

What now?

Rusty Dusty
join:2002-11-23

Rusty Dusty

What does 'clean boot' mean? Perhaps there is something wrong with your CD.. (is it an original?) or perhaps you have a virus.

Other posters gave you some good info links to completely clean your drive and start as if new. The CD not booting is a problem that you need to fix; boot sequence in BIOS or bad CD.....or bad drive.

Good luck.

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez

well, when i said clean boot, I meant that I was going to attempt to do a clean install, boot from the cd. Now, I know that I have the CD selected to boot properly(first) but it seems as if it does not give it enough time to boot up. Almost like it skips over it or something. The board is an Asus k7v and the cdrw is a tdk 24speed. I would use my other drive, but it died, and really doesnt like reading discs anymore! Could a change in drive help? It seems like I have booted other discs before(win98 original i think). Yes, my disk is original, and the 6 floppies I download and loaded directly from microsoft.

As I understand it, I should be able to boot up to CD(or floppy, which works) and then install XP. It will do the formating etc for me. I was hoping that atleast because if it does hose up, like it has been, during the install, I will still have an OS to go back to so I can find help and answers.

So, what do I do? When it claims that my acpi file is corrupted, is it speaking of the original, or the one on the floppies that I downloaded? GRR

I wish XP would behave

thanks all

bigcheez

DSmithLady
MVM
join:2002-04-23
Deep South

DSmithLady to bigcheez

MVM

to bigcheez
I found this about the ACPI error.

»support.microsoft.com/de ··· s;299340

Are you using the SP1 boot disks? I think they will give you less trouble, because they fixed some of the error messages in the original xp install.

BTW..in some cases...you can tell XP install to skip the file and it will be ok.

Here's another link about installation troubleshooting.

310064 - HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez

well, I am using the disks linked in the previous link from the winsupersite. I am not sure they are SP1 or not

Also, I appreciate the acpi stuff posted, but where can i find if my board is acpi complient, or it is something else?

K7V asus board. I would check but I am teaching a class in 5minutes.

Thanks all

bigcheez

DSmithLady
MVM
join:2002-04-23
Deep South

DSmithLady to bigcheez

MVM

to bigcheez
Here's a site link to the SP1 disks.

Oooppps »The Broadband Reports Windows XP FAQ »How can I create Windows XP bootdisks?
[text was edited by author 2003-01-23 14:57:54]
DSmithLady

DSmithLady to bigcheez

MVM

to bigcheez
Removed link.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-23 16:06:05]

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez

Ok, now i get all the way to disk 6 and I get a disk.sys is corrupted.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anyone?