Search similar:

uniqs
Vertigo1
join:2001-11-04
UK

Vertigo1

Router reboot

My 806 rebooted itself this morning:

"System returned to ROM by error - a SIGTRAP exception, PC 0x80135318 at 19:57:45 GMT Sun Nov 3 2002
System restarted at 04:31:37 GMT Sat Jan 25 2003"

Two questions:

1. What on earth is a SIGTRAP exception?
2. Why does it say Nov 3 2002 on the first line, then the correct date on the second? The unit is synced to an NTP server.

Domwilko
CCVP, CCNP, CCNA, CCDA
join:2002-03-02
UK

Domwilko

What version of IOS are you running?

Sigtrap (Signal Trap) Exception
This is usually a software problem. If possible, upgrade the router to the latest Cisco IOS Software version in your release train. If you are already running the latest Cisco IOS Software version, collect as much information as possible.

If the problem re-occurs, then try and do a 'Show Stacks' on the router and post the output here.

[text was edited by author 2003-01-25 09:47:05]

PA23
join:2001-12-12
East Hanover, NJ

PA23 to Vertigo1

to Vertigo1
sigtrap is a software bug....

the reason the time was wrong initially is that the 800 series routers do not have a hardware based clock and since it hadn't sync'ed to an NTP server yet is had to use its default starting time until it was corrected.

I believe the unsync'ed time shows a "." in front of the date or something simular.
Vertigo1
join:2001-11-04
UK

Vertigo1

Thanks for the replies.

I'm running 12.2(2)XK atm, and this is the first time since I've owned it that I've had such an exception and spontaneous reboot, so I'm not too bothered by it at present.

Domwilko
CCVP, CCNP, CCNA, CCDA
join:2002-03-02
UK

Domwilko

It looks like this could be an IOS bug which is still under investigation. It was first spotted in IOS version 12.1(15), but has also been reported in 12.2(2)XK. It seems to be very intermittent and most reports are for the Cisco 2600 series router. Cisco are requesting more information and so the bug fix is in a 'holding' state. The bug details are below:

CSCdz70886 Bug Details

Headline: system returned to ROM by error - a SIGTRAP exception
Product: c2600 Model
Component: c2600
Severity: 3
First Found-in Version: 12.1(15) All affected versions
First Fixed-in Version: No Fix Yet. Information required - Holding state for bug reports that are awaiting additional information needed to determine the cause of the problem. This is typically easily retrieved information, such as a trace or dump, or a more-descriptive definition of the problem and symptoms. This state is also used when a diagnostic or special image has been provided to the customer in order to gather more information to continue the analysis. In either case, development engineering cannot make progress until the required information is provided.

Release Notes:

System returned to ROM by error - a SIGTRAP exception, PC 0x802CB974 at
20:17:58 EST Wed Jan 1 2003
System image file is "flash:c2600-jk2s-mz.121-15.bin"