share rss forum feed

Mark
Premium
join:2001-11-15
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Universal Plug and Play - Port 5000

"Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is an architecture in Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me) that supports peer-to-peer Plug and Play functionality for network devices. The UPnP specification is designed to simplify device and network service installation and management. UPnP accomplishes device and service discovery and control through a driver-less, standards-based protocol mechanisms. Universal Plug and Play devices can auto-configure network addressing, announce their presence on a network subnet, and enable the exchange of descriptions device and service descriptions. A Windows Me computer can act as a UPnP control point to discover and control the devices through a web or application interface."

»support.microsoft.com/support/kb···4/58.ASP

Note: There are known vunerabilities in UPnP, and it should be disabled unless necessary.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-25 20:01:31]

raw
War Eagle
Premium
join:2001-01-17
Madison, AL

For clarification:
It is also built into Windows XP and can be installed on a Windows 98 machine when using the Network Setup Wizard off the XP CD.
--
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.

wesleychk

join:2003-03-16
reply to Mark

how do you disable plug and play on a WinXP system? thanks.

Wesley

BoogeyMan7

join:2003-04-24
Sherman Oaks, CA

There is a port closer for just that port
»grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

wesleychk

join:2003-03-16
reply to Mark

i have the newest version of ZA Pro, which i think close all open ports including the UPnP port. any chance you might know if that's indeed the case? and assuming it does, would i still need to download that program you provided a link to?

thanks,
Wesley