uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mark
Premium
join:2001-11-15
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:1

SSDPSRV - Port 1025

The Simple Service Discovery Protocol finds UPnP devices on your home network. For security reasons, I recommend disabling it along with all other UPnP services.

Edit: I've also heard reports that MSTask and DCOM also use this port, your mileage may vary. Also, keep in mind that ports >1024 are designated for dynamic allocation by Windows.
[text was edited by author 2003-01-26 00:32:49]

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA
Ports 1025 and above are the start of the dynamic range for almost all TCP/IP stack implementations. When programs start and ask for "next available" socket, they get them sequentially starting at 1025.

Depending on what's running on your computer and the order it starts in, this port (and those above it) could be almost anything.

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
Well, not quite sequentially. If the allocation would be done sequentially then it would open the door for a class of guessing attacks. The security increases with the randomness of allocation.

A second note, some systems can set the range of ports to be used for the next available port.

flydancer

join:2001-07-19
Portugal
reply to Mark
how can I disable it?

the guy

@telia.com
try the program at www.grc.com (unPnP)

astrobill

join:2002-05-05
Centreville, VA
You can uninstall Universal Plug N Play in the Windows Control Panel in WinXP...but then I suppose you would have to reinstall it again, rather than simply using that guy's utility to enable it.