uniqs
share rss forum feed

MPScan
Premium
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA

Help with my line quality and stats.

Click for full size
Here is the stats for my WAN interface connection on the Cisco 678 for the past 13 hours. Sometimes my interface will stay up for 12-18-24 hours and other times it will flake after only an hour. There has even been a handful of times where it will try to sync and lose the connection every 30 seconds or so for a period of 20 or 30 minutes.

See my noise on the lines with item #1 and #2 above. This is high for my connection. Sometimes #1 will drop to 4, 4.5, or 5, and #2 will go as low as 6.5 or so. Also see the errors in the lower half of the stat page above.. those seem like alot for only 13 hours of uptime!

Background:
I am only synched at 768/384 on my 1500/768 connection. I am about 12,800 from the CO, on the third floor of a triple decker house, and pluged into the wall outlet with a short 4' cord. There is NOTHING else plugged into any phone jack in the house.. no alarm, no phones, nothing!

I have tried a different Cisco, no luck. I've tried a different modem all together (Westell). I've tried different phone cords. I've tried different jacks in the house. Nothing seems to help me with my losing sync problem.

What can I do? I'm in an apartment and don't have free access to the NID but may be able to get it. How hard is it to run a new line from the NID to my apartment... does anyone have step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!

Gigantopithi

join:2000-08-08
Homewood, IL

I also live in an apt. Second floor. I purchased a box of cat5e cable and rewired all phone lines from my apt to the nid. Went through a hall, down the length of the back porch, and two stories to the nid. I didn't even ask the landlord, I just did it. Since I was not going to make any new holes, and it was improving the value of the apt., I didn't think that I should give him the opportunity to say no. Modern telephones only need two wires. So what I did was to use 4 wires, 2 for the dsl jack, and two for the POTS jack. So, the signals would be separate until they got to the NID. You can splice a filter on the POTS line just before connecting to the NID if you want. I thought that was too much trouble. Regardless, the POTS still needs to be filtered somewhere.

When you are feeding the line through, you can tie your new cable to the existing cable and pull it through. Makes it easier when pulling down several stories, or through walls.

Overall, the new cabling made a heck of a difference. No hissing sounds anymore. Connection is capable of handling much greater speeds now since is cat5e.
--
Do you think that's air you're breathing?

MPScan
Premium
Boston, MA
reply to MPScan

My problem is that I can take apart a car, computer, or VCR in 5 minutes flat and put it back together with no problems... but I know squat about phone wire, NID's, wiring, etc.

But I definately want to do this. Any help on step-by-step instructions, links, graphics, etc... I'm interrested.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Since you are pretty far from the telephone central office you may benefit from rewiring and using a POTS/DSL splitter.

As an experiment find where the telephone lines enter the building. This is called the Network Interface Device (NID. Assuming a reasonably modern building the NID should have a test jack for each line. Find your line and plug the DSL modem into the test jack. This disconnects your apartment. If connecting directly solves your problem rewiring and using a whole house POTS/DSL splitter rather then micro filters should help.

I've written up my experience wiring phones and a LAN it may help you get started.
»www.tschmidt.com/writings/HomeLAN2003.htm

MPScan
Premium
Boston, MA
reply to MPScan

Thanks for that link, good info, I am reading it all.

One question.. I can't move my computer and DSL modem down to the NID to see if it will work. Is there any problem with using a 20/30' telephone cord to run a temporary test line from my PC in the apartment to the NID test jack? Just to see?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by MPScan:
Is there any problem with using a 20/30' telephone cord to run a temporary test line from my PC in the apartment to the NID test jack? Just to see?
That should work fine. Make sure the cord has "real wire" not tinsel cord. The better phone cords use tinsel wrapped around a string. This provides great flexibility but is not very good at carrying the high frequencies used by DSL.

Even better if you already have the Cat 5 wire temporally run it to the NID. In your apartment get a jack and hook the wire up.

20-30 feet of wire is not going to make much difference, unless it is terrible, since the signal has already traveled thousands of feet to get to your apartment. The idea is to prevent inside wiring form degrading it further.

MPScan
Premium
Boston, MA
reply to MPScan

I guess that's my problem. Ok, so I run a physical Cat 5 Wire down to the NID. In my left hand I hold the Cat 5 wire.. in my right hand, it's on the NID box. What's next? I have no idea how to 'hook it up', what to cut or screw in, etc.. That's where I need the help.. hooking up the Cat 5 to the NID for my DSL line.. while still keeping phone service to the rest of the house on the regular lines.

dslmadeasy
Got Ghost??

join:2003-02-01
Milky Way

Your noise margin is indeed very low to sustain proper connectivity between your modem and the Central Switching Office equipment. Ideally, it should be 8 and above. You may also have a half-ringer at your NID. Please check out the following link about how to remove half-ringer and some other wiring tips:

»Residential Install with PICTURES!!!!!