how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Macross233

join:2003-01-10
Chicago, IL

Newsgroups?

Does cyberonic provide newsgroups? i'm interested in the binaries, of course. i've seen the server name tossed around here, but some have said it doesnt work.

so, what's the whole story on cyberonic's newsgroups?

dellerdsler
The Other Side Of The Drum

join:2001-12-05
Berwyn, IL
They have newsgroups but they're not the best, by a long shot. The address is wcnews.cyberonic.com, however, it's down quite a bit and you won't be able to post anything as it's read-only access.

Macross233

Chicago, IL
reply to Macross233
read-only is fine. are binaries available? is a login required?

edamon

join:2001-05-18
Marina Del Rey, CA
reply to Macross233
it's a total waste of time for binaries.. as they don't keep any articles for the most part.

easynews.com is your friend.

-d

HAL6664

join:2003-01-15
Beverly Hills, CA
reply to Macross233
There is no login. The binary files are hosed if they are greater than about 700-800k. Apparently they don't have a real NNTP admin. They probably have some tech in the office who "thinks" he know how to manage a news server. There is also NO POSTING, so really the only thing it's good for is reading text news groups. Then if you want to post in a text group you have to have another acct. or go to »www.news2web.com

Macross233

Chicago, IL
reply to Macross233
$50/month and no newsgroups? damn, most of my internet use is binaries downloads. i guess i'll have to look into easynews...

HAL6664

join:2003-01-15
Beverly Hills, CA
...or better yet GigaNews (which has better retention, better completion, and faster posting)
»www.giganews.com
you can take a three day trial for FREE

Macross233

Chicago, IL
reply to Macross233
are there any with unlimited use? i download a lot more than a few gigs in any one given day.

Macross233

Chicago, IL
reply to Macross233
i found one:

»usenetserver.com/

$14.95/month, unlimited, with max 6 connections. looks good to me. anyone have any experience with them?

i know it might look "too good to be true", but i'm willing to take the dive.

deramon8

join:2000-09-20
White Plains, NY
reply to Macross233
Usenetserver has had a very bad time with their servers. Seems that all the new subscribers must have overloaded their capacity. I just cancelled them and signed up with ultrafeed.com Both have $15 unlimited download accounts. ention is pretty short 3 days in the large groups, maybe more in non binary ones. Ultrafeed is running pretty good right now.

I just tested each service using alt.binaries.mp3. Here are the stats as per xnews;
usenetserver = total articles 12209
multipart binaries = 824
complete multiparts 806 (97.8%)
the earliest date header is late monday (looks like 4 days)

ultrafeed = total articles 22868
multipart binaries = 1660
complete multiparts 1611(97.0%)
the earliest date header is early sunday (looks like 5 days)

I can test any other group, if you want. Also note that usenetserver uses a "load balancer" server. You can ping and find out each server's dns and try each server. Some have more parts than others. This was the reason I bailed on them as I had to use 5-6 servers to get what I wanted...

YMMV

Macross233

Chicago, IL
reply to Macross233
yea, i saw ultrafeed soon after i found usenetserver.

so with ultrafeed, you dont need to search different servers to complete the parts?

i figure at the same price, more articles, longer retention, i'll probably go wtih ultrafeed. ah, but my cyberonic services is not up yet. my phone line just switched back to sbc yesterday, and i'm waiting until monday to see if it's all hooked up. if not, i'm going to digizip.

sorry, got sidetracked.

can you check the anime binaries for me? any one of the groups with the highest posts will be fine. thanks.

IgorKane

@66.58.x.x
reply to Macross233
Are there any read/write services that are not too great with Binaries? Personally, I am looking for a few text-only groups, but I post too.

stuntcow
Mooo

join:2001-08-09
Bay Area
For text only, news.cis.dfn.de should do. They allow posting, but you need to register (free) at »news.cis.dfn.de first.

Also, »www.teranews.com and »www.bubbanews.com allows you to post and contains binaries but is capped at 50MB/day. You need CC to register for these, but except for TeraNews' $4? setup fee, they are free.

Ghoztx

join:2001-10-29
New York, NY
reply to Macross233
can you use other ISP's newsgroup? I have other friends that uses other ISP, I want to know if I can use their newsgroup since they don't use it, but I use it once in a while.

IgorKane

@140.192.x.x
Normally, you cannot. Other ISPs check your IP address against their list; you wouldn't be on it. If their news server requires an id/password, you could use your friends', but that is rare.