Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Techie2000
In Vertigo
Premium
join:2001-12-05

Avatar isn't copying from library

I click use and it says it copies okay but nothing happens, or does it have to be approved still?

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

It needs time for the servers to update - an hour or two.

Mav3rick$
A Man Among Men
Premium
join:2003-01-24
Mirkwood
reply to Techie2000

said by Techie2000:
I click use and it says it copies okay but nothing happens, or does it have to be approved still?
Yeah Techie2000 im having the same problem. I hope it gets fixed.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

reply to Techie2000

I've found if after I click the USE button I re-click the SAVE button and then the USE button again it will push it through. But of course you'll then want to delete the copied avatar from the library.

- FM
[text was edited by author 2003-02-04 02:06:55]

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Techie2000

said by Techie2000:
This might be the result of the request by other users to preserve the date on the avatar.

Since the timestamp of the newly copied file is reset to the original date it was uploaded, the browser does not consider the new avatar to be a replacement so does not download it.

You could try clearing your browser cache completely? does that fix it? the image server does not cache images, if the file on disk changes, it will deliver the new file to a new browser when requested.

Techie2000
In Vertigo
Premium
join:2001-12-05
reply to Techie2000

Thanks for the explanation justin. I didn't realize this thread was still alive, but as you can see it is now fine...:)
--
"And I'm right. I'm always right, but in this case I'm just a bit more right than I usually am." - Linus Torvalds

slash
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-01
Boston
reply to justin

I just had the same problem where it wouldn't copy. Clearing the cache did clear it up though.

Garbs
Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-27
Garden State
reply to Techie2000

Suffering from the same problem here. I tried clearing the cache and no dice. I'm going to give it an hour or two and see if that changes it over.
--
Help FIGHT for a cure with Team Discovery!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

I saw your old avatar, somebody throwing a baseball.

So I went to tools .. internet options .. delete files .. and hit ok.

Then shift reload, and got the knicks/stadium image instead. So my conclusion is that the browser was caching the old avatar but the server was delivering the new one if asked.

Garbs
Premium,MVM
Garden State
reply to Techie2000

Thank you Justin.

I went and dug out the original .gif image I wanted, and then uploaded the file once again, and it's now showing up on my end.

Do you think I need to re-load my avatar library (there's six of them or so)? Or this may be a problem on my end, correct?

Thanks for your help Justin.
--
Help FIGHT for a cure with Team Discovery!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
Reviews:
·iiNet

No, your avatar library is as it is shown in your browser.
Unfortunately I don't know when in my experiment with clearing the browser cache, that you uploaded the new file.

Either way, using an avatar from the library works fine, its just that either browsers or the image servers cache the old one for a while.

Garbs
Premium,MVM
Garden State

Thank you very much for your fast responses and help.