Search similar:

uniqs
Tev41
join:2002-12-22
Arlington, VA

Tev41

noob problem with home network

Hi all
Recently up and running with cyberonics and all is well, except I can't access the other computer on my wireless home network. I think it might be because I'm not in "bridge mode"(whatever that is). When I talked with the cyberonic tech he told me it wasn't necessary to be in bridge mode, but everyone in these forums seems to think its pretty important. Umm, what is bridge mode? Would not having it screw up my my home network? Will I need to listen to the dreaded Sinatra CD?
Thanks,
Peter

MPScan
Premium Member
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA

MPScan

Premium Member

What equipment are you using for the wireless part of your network? If you're using a WAP (Wireless Access Point) connected through a hub or switch which is pluged into the Cyberonic provided modem, you may not need to be in bridged mode. If the wireless hardware you are using has a built in router then you need bridged mode with your Cyberonic modem.
Tev41
Arlington, VA

Tev41

Yup, its a router. Its called the Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router. My network card is plugged into my Belkin router which is in turn plugged into my Speedstream router from Cyberonics. Damn, I can hear Frankie already...
Thanks
PS What the hell is bridge mode anyway?

MPScan
Premium Member
join:2001-08-24
Boston, MA

MPScan to Tev41

Premium Member

to Tev41
Your Cyberonic provided dsl modem is acting as a router giving out IP addresses to connected components. Your Belkin is doing the same thing. You can't have both at the same time. (Well you can, but we won't get into that). You need to have Cyberonic switch their equipment to 'bridged' mode which disables the router functions of the equipment they provided... essentially making their equipment just a DSL modem and passing all the information to the Belkin. Once that's done you'll be fine.

Alternatively you can disable DHCP and NAT on the Belkin and use the Cyberonic equipment for that. You can then keep the Belkin hooked up for the wireless features, and it will get an IP address from the Cyberonic equipment. The one, and major, downside to this is if you want to configure anything on the Cyberonic equipment, they have to do it because they won't give you the password.

My advice: Hook up the Cyberonic equipment and remove everything else. Call Cyberonic and have them switch their router/modem to bridged mode. Once this is done, hook the cyberonic modem to the WAN port of the Belkin, input the DNS, IP, Gateway info they provide into the Belkin, and you're good to go.
Tev41
Arlington, VA

Tev41

Ok, I get it.
I'll make that phone call and get switched into bridged mode. Thanks for all your help,
Peter

LANMASTEROBIWAN

Anon

Going into bridged mode simply means you are switching from being a DHCP client to being a client with a static IP address. There's more to it than that, but that will do for these purposes. DHCP client using NAT is more secure, and you would have more difficulty accessing your network from the outside, hosting ftp, web server, etc... Having a static public IP address makes it much easier to access your network from the outside, but you should implement a NAT Firewall/Router for your LAN for security, port forwarding, etc... Neither of these would have much to do with the problems you are having with your WAP.

Mode 1: Hybrid (Wired and Wireless network)
Recommended: Use your own router/switch for DHCP/NAT.

Assign your router/switch to assign IP addresses above 100 (for example 192.168.0.XXX where XXX is over 100). *Note, if you are getting DHCP from your ISP, and you are being assigned IP addresses like I just gave in my example, you will need to use a different addressing scheme (anything will work, as long as it is on the LAN side). Assuming you are NOT being assigned 192.168.x.x from your ISP, leave the default IP address of your WAP and any other statically-assigned wireless device alone. They should be under 100. Connect your WAP to the router/switch and it will be just another client on the network. Then configure all your wireless NICs to be DHCP clients. They'll join the WAP network, as long as you have your security settings and any filtering done correctly. Then they'll get an address from the DHCP server. This should all take seconds and be transparent to you.

On the WAN side your router/switch can be a DHCP client or static, does not matter (but I ALWAYS prefer static)

Mode 2: Total Wireless Network
Get static IP from ISP. Get a good WAP that offers port forwarding, dmz, mac filtering, etc... Assign static IP to WAP on the WAN side, and make it a DHCP server for your LAN. Make all your wireless devices DHCP clients and you should be good to go as long as you've configured your security and filters correctly.
Tev41
Arlington, VA

Tev41

Thanks Obiwan. I think I've got the basics down. I spoke with Mike at Cyberonics (very helpful) and am now in bridge mode. My internet access is up and running, but my home network is still not working right. Sigh. This weekend when I have a little time, I'll double check all my settings and possibly try reinstalling it from scratch.
Wish me luck - I'll need it
Peter

Kevin Reed
@uu.net

Kevin Reed to Tev41

Anon

to Tev41
Remember you have to configure the access point with an IP on your LAN.