spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MajinKenshin
Too Much Talking, More Fighting
join:2002-04-10
UK

MajinKenshin

[Sci-Fi] Daredevil - Why is the Kingpin Black!!!!!!

Couldn't think of anywhere better to post this, a friend just mentioned something to me that i haven't really picked up on, In the new film Daredevil, the Kingpin, who we all know as a overly large white dude, is an overly large black dude.

Why is this? is there more to it that just not being able to find the right actor?

Well my colleague mentioned the fact and he's probably right, that the film makers probably changed the chubby crime lord to a black actor because it would be more acceptable that a black man is a powerful crime lord. I hate the whole idea and concept, but at the same time it is the most possible reason behind the switch.

btw, I am black, I'm not making a racist attack on the film making peoples(well kind of) but it just seems to be quite a strange change in the whole comic-film scenario.

Could you imagine a black spiderman(forget venom)? would that be right? why haven't they changed any spidey characters ethnic background? Why did it have to be a crime lord that was changed to a black man?

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Hi, we're discussing Daredevil and how they totally change comics willy nilly here in this thread:

»Daredevil

I agree with you, though I don't know if the change had racist motivations. Maybe it did....

Ganster rap is cool, no denying it....perhaps to make the film more modern and they wanted the kingpin to be a "black overlord"....though yeah, you raise a good question....did they do that because they were naturally identifying the black culture with crime?

I'm of the "if it's not broke" mentality on these changes....

wolfmanrobby
Define Normal
Premium Member
join:2002-04-29
Jefferson, GA

wolfmanrobby to MajinKenshin

Premium Member

to MajinKenshin
Really, I don't think it had anything to do with Race. I remember an Interview with M.D.Clark (The actor that played Kingpin) last year. He was asked about taking on the roll.

He was upset because they were going to have to PAD him to make him big enough to fit the roll. They wanted an actor that could fill out the roll without having to rely on CGI, or effects. They wanted him to look natural. Black or White, he's one of the BIGGEST actors around. Kingpin has always been a BIG, muscular, person whit a Deep, powerful voice. Personally, I can't think of anyone, other than a couple of Ex-Pro Wrestlers that could have filled the physical roll. But even then, their acting skills would leave a lot to be desired. (SCORPION KING, need I say more....)

I think that they felt that we were mature enough to not make a race issue out of it (Not saying anyone is) and just accept him as an actor playing a part.

I really have not seen many people complain that Billy D. Williams (Black) played Harvey Dent in BATMAN. But, was replaced by Tommy Lee Jones (White) as Harvey Dent/Two Face in BATMAN FOREVER. (Not to mention that we had a whole new Batman, but lets no go there...)

Really, M.D. Clark is a great actor, and he has the frame and build to fit the roll. I think he is a perfect choice. I've not seen DD, yet, but plan to this weekend. But given his performances in Armageddon, The Green Mile & The Whole Nine Yards (That's the only 3 of his films I've seen) I'm betting he pulls the part off.

Just my .02 on the matter!

Robby

MajinKenshin
Too Much Talking, More Fighting
join:2002-04-10
UK

MajinKenshin

I agree, M.D. Clark's previous roles have been played well, he was quite funny in Armageddon, but.........I dunno, I'll wait to see the film before making my final judgement.

As i stated, I'm not really bothered, even though the first post would make one think otherwise, just seen the trailers.

Let us know what you think of it, I may managed to see it...... eventually.

MikeJrod
join:2001-03-14
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

I think it is a simple as Clark is big enough physically and fame-wise. This was a high profile film, and it needed some high profile actors. If they were really concerned about every character looking exactly as they did in the comic, they would have to go with martial artists and gymnasts instead of the chick from Alias and Affleck (who really should have been forced to work out just a bit more: not too intimidating in a short sleeve shirt).
Atog
Sanity Is Not Statistical
join:2003-02-11
West Palm Beach, FL

Atog to wolfmanrobby

to wolfmanrobby
I had a lot of problems with the movie, but this wasn't really one of them. I can't think of any other actor that could have filled the part better than Clark. It's less annoying than, say, Spider-Man's webs being part of his superpowers instead of a contraption he built, or Iceman and Angel not being main characters in the X-Men movie despite the fact that they were part of the original team of 5. Wolfmanrobby also makes an excellent point about Billy Dee Williams/Tommy Lee Jones in Batman.

wolfmanrobby
Define Normal
Premium Member
Jefferson, GA

wolfmanrobby to MajinKenshin

Premium Member

to MajinKenshin
OK, so I got his name screwed up. It's M.D. Clark. - Sorry.

Reading this interview on Darkhorizons, He wanted the part:
»www.darkhorizons.com/new ··· are4.htm

"The actor was immediately attracted to this project for one simple reason: I just loved the idea of being an evil person, of being the kind of guy that strikes fear into everyone. I really haven't had the chance to do something like this. And the actor admits that he relishes exploring the dark side of himself. “When you’re playing an evil person you can go over the top with it and have fun with it by being mean, so hopefully I did a good job.” Clarke Duncan, who always wanted to play the villainous Kingpin from his adolescent days when he first read the comic, says that to tap into a guy like this, he uses his large imagination. “My fantasy mind is really out there sometimes. Once I got on the set and into that wardrobe I was the Kingpin and I acted that way”, he confesses."

Guess that answers the question. Unless I'm reading this all wrong...

Robby

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
It's star appeal that's why. What huge, fat, muscular, white guy do you know would fit that role perfectly but also has a huge box office draw? The entire film was damned near an all star cast. Elektra was the chick from Alias if I'm not mistaken, the reporter was Joseph Pantaliano (Syther from The Matrix, and he was also Eddie [at least I believe that was his name. The guy who got wacked last season by Tony.] in The Sopranos), Ben Afleck, even Bullseye was a star (don't remember his name off the top of my head at the moment but I've seen him in many things). Even Elektra's father I've seen in many movies (don't remember his name either right now).

It was all about box office billing. Nothing more.

Michael Clark Duncan really hit it big in The Green Mile and his star appeal kept rising after that.

Hollywood is all about money, and big name celebrities in movies are money magnets. It's as simple as that. Not everything is racially motivated you know. In Hollywood, it's all financially motivated.

wolfmanrobby
Define Normal
Premium Member
Jefferson, GA

wolfmanrobby

Premium Member

True, Hollywood can only see one color,

GREEN!

Robby

MrbR2D2
R2 Fixes computers
Premium Member
join:2002-07-25
Miami, FL

MrbR2D2 to MajinKenshin

Premium Member

to MajinKenshin
said by MajinKenshin:

Could you imagine a black spiderman(forget venom)? would that be right? why haven't they changed any spidey characters ethnic background? Why did it have to be a crime lord that was changed to a black man?

You do know the new Captain America is now a black character right?

aasawyer
join:2003-02-20
Shawboro, NC

aasawyer to MajinKenshin

to MajinKenshin
I don't see where the problem is with Kingpin's race.

Mr. Clark pulled off the character well and fit the physical/aesthetic description of Kingpin on all other points except race.

These "comic book" movies are should initiate some level of imagination....so use it.

M. D. Clark is an excellent actor and I believe that he definately filled Kingpin's shoes.

MikeJrod
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

And if they had only written a bit more for his character. Talk about two dimensional. The Kingpin actually has a pretty good back story in the comic, one that explains some of his motives and personality, which was totally absent in the movie. But he was bad and he liked flowers. Wow, what depth of character. It's a shame that a great character, portrayed by a talented actor was so hollow.

VeritechX
join:2002-11-28
Thousand Oaks, CA

VeritechX

Wait for the sequel.

RLGuy15
Premium Member
join:2003-01-31
GA

1 recommendation

RLGuy15 to MajinKenshin

Premium Member

to MajinKenshin

Too complicated

I think they just happened to find a black character that fit the role. I doubt there was some big conspiracy behind it like trying to say black people are associated with crime. I have a good explanation for it...they simply hired a black actor to do the part.

This sounds like the Japanese people whining when Pearl Harbor came out cause they thought it made them look bad. I hate to tell them but the Japanese were our enemies in that war so of course they're going to look bad in the movie.

MikeJrod
Milwaukee, WI

MikeJrod

In the realm of conspiracy, an opposite belief can also be held. It could be argued that having the Kingpin be black was positive in that he was successful in his chosen field and was not an underling. It would seem that there is a very fine line between legitimate and illegitimate business these days. What is worse, killing someone or ruining someone's future a la Enron?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to MajinKenshin

Premium Member

to MajinKenshin

Re: [Sci-Fi] Daredevil - Why is the Kingpin Black!!!!!!

IMO:
What White actor is large enough to play Kingpin? I mean the man is huge in the comic books, and if I remember from Spiderman, its not all fat. Kingpin is a very strong fella.

To me Mr. Clarke fits the role for Kingpin..

Derek_Wildstar
Professional lurker
join:2001-02-24
Iscandar

Derek_Wildstar to MajinKenshin

to MajinKenshin
Sorry. Every time I read this thread, I think about a bit from Eddie Murphy in the first concert film he did, Delirious. To paraphrase:

"Is that Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin?"
"YEAH, THAS' MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN, MUTHAF***A! S'MATTER? CAN'T A BLACK MAN PLAY A COMIC BOOK CHARACTER????"

Seriously, though, as soon as I heard that he was playing Kingpin, I immediately thought that he was a perfect physical match for the role. However, he is a far better actor than Ben Affleck and could easily upstage him. I don't know, as I haven't seen the movie yet. I will reserve judgment until this fall when it comes out on DVD.