Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Crissy1977

join:2001-02-12
Niagara Falls, NY
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Re: Name Just One Disease/Illness You Wish Cured

I'd have to say Parkinsons Disease. It has effected a lot of my grandfathers siblings, and is known to skip a generation. This leaves me with a scare. Cancer is another disease that has taken the lives of many people close to me. I've never experienced the effects of losing, or even knowing someone with AIDS, but I know this needs to be cured too. I feel selfish wanting a cure for all of the things that have somehow effected me personally, but I guess that's just a human response. Good Topic! It has gotten the attention of a lot of people, and it really makes you look at life in a whole other perspective!

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
join:2000-10-08
Bordentown, NJ

reply to Zhen-Xjell

I have good friends that are afflicted with AIDS. Family members passed away to Cancer that I haven't mentioned earlier. One grandfather who died before I was born supposedly died to a brain artery bursting. A family almost died because of Lyme's, and other family members have that.

Some members have terrible Rheumatoid Arthritis.

EDIT
Almost all of these are not immediate family. Most are married into. But they are close ones nonetheless.
[text was edited by author 2001-03-20 11:32:59]

MRK8
Premium
join:2001-01-11
San Antonio, TX
reply to Zhen-Xjell

I have 2 wishes.
My father died from complications due to severe Parkinson's Disease. Near the end he had lost total control over his bodily functions. A cure for Parkinson's is the first wish.

My mother suffered from kidney failure. She was on dialysis for over 12 years and also had to live with crippling osteoarthritis that left her bedridden. While her kidney failure thankfully wasn't due to diabetes, most of the other patients at the dialysis center she went to 3 times a week did.
Though arthritis can be painful and crippling, I've seen the ravages diabetes can cause, and diabetes is *much* worse. Diabetes is my 2nd wish for finding a cure.
--
MRK
the other Golden Rule: Do unto others... then run

aatucker

join:2000-03-10
Belton, MO
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Must not be very many here that are diabetic. Diabetes has to be #1 on my list - you (and your family) have to deal with it every day - all day. And you know that eventually you will die from the complications of it. Expensive too. Just read an article in the Sunday paper that diabetes is the fastest growing chronic disease.

Allen T.

homergreg

join:2000-05-20
Greenfield, IN
reply to Zhen-Xjell

I would like to see any congenital birth defect cured. My son was born a year and a half ago with a hole in his heart (VSD). Open heart surgery was a possibility until he turned one, when the hole closed on his own as he grew (thank God).

The most important thing I learned was that we were the lucky ones. We went several times to a children's hospital for tests and saw so many children that were born with death sentences and what their families were going through. I walked away in tears every time I went there seeing those babies that were playing with mine and all I could think was that some of those kids wouldn't be around the next time we came back.

Sunsetstrip
Go Kings
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
West Hollywood, CA
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Thumbs up to all the posts,and I like to make one comment that besides finding cures we need to make access to medical care,education,prevention,and early detection top priorities with out these we will lose the war on suffering

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

Excellent point. If we have the cure, but it is too expensive for the general masses to obtain, then it is as good as having no cure.

ethics$
Premium
join:2000-12-27
Brooklyn, NY

If there's one thing I've learned about this thread it's just how MUCH we are all affected one way or another, with one disease over the next.

God, if this thread doesn't tell you why we need to fold, I don't know what will.
--
Folding can save a life!

meeow
I'm a little spacey
Premium,MVM
join:1999-08-20
Portland, OR
kudos:2

Thumbs up ethics13!
Couldn't be said any better than that!

PC Doc 54
aka fcapes
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Middle Island, NY
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Well I'm late as usual but you said you want everybody so here goes my .02:

Like most of you, I find it difficult to pick one; I have aunts who died of cancer, a grandfather who died of heart disease, an uncle who had Parkinson's and a grandmother who died after years of Alzheimers.

If I had to pick one that had the most profound affect on me I'd say it was Alzheimers. Though it is heartbreaking to lose anyone you love from any disease, I'd have to put this one at the top of the list for causing the most suffering to the largest number of people.
--
WOW! I'll bet you'd look really hot in a DSLR Shirt!

gpbarth

join:2001-03-04
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Zhen-Xjell

I didn't even have to think. When I saw this thread, all I thought was HATE! Known by other names, like prejudice, intolerance, or envy, it is probably destroying more people than most of the other diseases combined. And one commandment we can ALL fight this disease with is this:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's non-denominational and easy to accept. You can be a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, anything.

I have had intimate experiences with several types of cancer, polio, diabetes, and heart disease. I wish there were cures for all of them (even polio is still biting some of us years after it was "cured"). But I truly wish that all of us could get along together in this world. That would be the greatest "cure" of all.

-= Gary =-
--
All your 10baseT are belong to us!

callipygian2

join:2001-01-30
Albuquerque, NM

I'll second that.

doublec16

Jersey City, NJ
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Perhaps this is silly or unrealistic, but I am hoping that with enough research on the way proteins fold and enough calculations done by our computers, diseases which are related to the folding of proteins will be much better understood and cures can be found for many or all of them at once.

I have known people who suffered from cancer and it is a truly horrible illness, to have one's own body wasting away, but there are many diseases like that which cause such suffering, so that if a cure for only one illness is found with this research, it will be worth it.
--
Please don't click the happy face or the mad face.:):(

eadarling
Premium
join:2000-10-25
Sacramento, CA
reply to Zhen-Xjell

As other's have said, it is difficult to pick just one...

I lost my fiance to heart disease.
29 days later a granddaughter, at a month and a day old to SIDS.
My father to heart disease as a complication of diabetes.
I lost my mother to Alzheimers long before she died from a stroke.
Too many of my friends have lost their children to various cancers.
This weekend we lost another child from hate.

A cure for any one of these or those mentioned in other posts that I have omitted, just one cure.

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Many of you have touched me in this thread more than you may ever know.

In commemoration of this thread and all those who we lost known or unbeknownst to us, I have created a top-level link called "Your #1 Cure" directly to this thread.

Let us keep this thread alive for the duration of the forum. For all those in the future to see, and for new DSLR members to partake and share.

Buggy

join:2000-10-24
Tampa, FL
reply to Zhen-Xjell

A cure for stupidity would be nice. Seriously though, It would be nice to cure mental illnesses of all kinds to allow people equal opportunity in life.
--
Me

Enzo_F360F1

join:2001-02-07
Ferrari Land

I would like to see someone come up with a solution to ignorance and under-education. I think that plagues this country and the rest of the world as much as anything else. If that we solved I feel that a lot of the other problems would then solve themselves due to better knowledge on the part of the people. Aids can be reduced by education of safe sex and IV drug use. Granted there are a lot of diseases that nothing but a cure will work but in my opinion Ignorance and under-education are a disease to the world!!!!
--
My reality check bounced....

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Things like these (»Fold and fold hard!!! ) are very upsetting. Many have stopped consuming bovine meats due to ailments such as these, but who knows if we aren't already incubating the disease?

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1

Zhen, some of this stuff we do to ourselves

Like mad cow. Cattle aren't known for eating meat as a habit. and, like they are just strating to find out in cheap pet food, If you use any by product reguardless of what it died from, or if it was diease free, you run the risk of transferring that sickness to a healthy creature.
Reason I tossed pet food in there. I was watching a show on Animal Planet. A woman makes her own dog chow after she went under cover to see why her first dog died. What she found out was sick. Basically if the bag reads animal by product don't get it [or any by product]. If it says animal you'll be feeding yer pets dog, cat, or what ever the plant purchased from local animal shelters, got off the road, or from slaughter houses.
Another point to mentioning pets, People will pay whatever they can afford to take care of their pet. When I was a kid, a dog had a broke leg you shot him, or let the vet put him down. Today you shell out 400 bucks and let the vet fix him up.
--
I am a Gnome at home Folding Space in my spare time.

doublec16

Jersey City, NJ
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Re: Name Just One Disease/Illness You Wish Cured

Things like that make me glad I'm a vegetarian. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I'm much more healthy since I stopped eating meat.

ethics$
Premium
join:2000-12-27
Brooklyn, NY

I am not a veggie eater but I did cut beef altogether about 2 years ago and do not miss it one bit.

I love chicken and fish and whenever I can, I get the dead chickens, but the ones that had free roaming priviliges.
--
Folding can save a life!

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

I have recently taken beef out of my diet. I focus now on chicken and fish. Now I know some may say.. if I have it I may not see anything in 30 years... but I plan on living far longer than that.

So, let us pray for a cure.

dmehegan
Premium
join:2000-09-11
Anaheim, CA
reply to Zhen-Xjell

I would love to see a cure for cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease.

dainbramage
Take the 'F' out of cat
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Lynn, MA
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Even though my dad died from Parkinson's disease (that would be my number two wish for a cure); I would have to say: all forms of mental illness. I was recently diagnosed as having bipolar II. I hate it, I wish it was gone. It is going to take a while before the right combination of drugs work. At times I am embarrassed that I have this.

kendive

join:2000-09-27
Milton, FL
reply to Sebastian

Yes Cancer for sure...

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ
reply to Zhen-Xjell

There was something mentioned earlier in this thread, that I would use for selfish reasons: aging. I love my grandfather very much. He is alive, but aging is not going well. I would wish a "cure" for aging, so that people may age well without the problems associated with it.

This is a dream.

System
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Hello guys,
happy to find you in your forum and happy to answer to this interesting question.

Here in Italy the cancer is,like in other part of world, the big Monster.
If you know that a cancer meet your life..... you know that the end is very close

This is my dream .... that the my computers power with the power of the rest of my Team can help to cure the Big C.

Bye

Nieddu Marzio

Genome Research Group Italy Supreme Admiral BORG

Zhen-Xjell
Prolific Bunny
Premium,ExMod 2001-04
Bordentown, NJ

Welcome and thanks for sharing your thoughts in this thread. This topic has taught me much about people and their lives.

I have known many good souls that were afflicted with Cancer. They say now, from a scientific study in Great Britain, that indeed high-power voltage lines are a problem.

System
reply to Zhen-Xjell

Thanks to You Zhen-Xjell,
is with this kind of question that many peoples can know that this Distribuite Project are sane and can help many persons in the world...
Not important if we are in different nations ... the only important thing is " Computer Power " .

I know that the first results will arrive in 5-10 years but.... i like to be a pioneer

Go Genome !!!

Bye

Nieddu Marzio

Genome Research Group Italy Supreme Admiral BORG

p.s.= if you want meet me and my team here : forum.setihome.it you are welcome

CabMonk
Gold Fish Boy
Premium
join:2001-03-09
Toronto
reply to Zhen-Xjell

I am getting into this thread a tad late, I am new here. I would have to say Cancer. My mother died of cancer and I saw
as she went through it that she was very brave but I know she was scared and just did not want me to worry. Altough all diseases are in need of getting the boot. (hopefully we can find a way of doing it for good).