All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spdrcr5
join:2002-10-20

spdrcr5

BEFSX41 and Apache 2.0 . . .

Has anyone setup a Linksys with a webserver?

I got my GuildFTPd server running just fine, so I fully understand how to forward a port to my server. I have configured port 8080 to one of the NIC's on my Win2k Server. I have configured the httpd.conf file to Listen to my ipaddress:8080

When I run the command "apache -k install" I get the following error:

C:\PROGRA~1\APACHE~1\Apache2\bin>apache -k install
(OS 10049)The requested address is not valid in its context. : make_sock: could not bind to address ipaddress:8080 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs

If I change to a different port then the error changes to that port, but I get the same error. I can't progress beyond this if I can't get the Apache Service to run on my server . . . help!

Thanks.

Larry

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

Please tell me you didn't actually put in "ipaddress:8080" -- that's not going to work unless the hostname "ipaddress" is resolvable.

Make sure the IP address you're trying to bind to is actually bound to an Enabled NIC. You may also need to use the "BindAddress" directive in Apache, but in most cases it's not really necessary.

You may also want to refer to the Apache 2.0 (NOT 1.3) documentation for full details. If I remember correctly, they severely messed with the Listen/BindAddress code, and the parser there is very very sensitive (and incorrect in some areas, again, if I remember right). Things rely a lot more on VirtualHost directives than before.

Apache under Windows is shady flaky voodoo anyways.
spdrcr5

spdrcr5

I am not using ipaddress:8080. lol I am just not going to put my ipaddress on here, so instead of type in 123.123.123.123:8080 I wrote it that way.

I don't have any of my NICs bound to my true IP Address as that would completely defeat the purpose of having the Linksys router as my gateway to the internet.

My network is configured the same way everyone else's network is configured:

Cable modem --> Linksys(real IP) then I have my computers all running 192.168.1.x IP's on the private network.

I am trying to IP Forward the HTTP port, in my case I want to use 8080 and redirect it to one of the NICs in my server.

Make sense now?

Maybe I will just go and install 1.3.x and see how that goes, then if that runs, I can always upgrade to 2.x

Thanks.

Larry

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to spdrcr5

Premium Member

to spdrcr5
just change that to listen 8080
spdrcr5

spdrcr5

Thanks, that got my Service installed. I can now see the default Apache page and open the manual . . .

Trying to figure out where to place the location of my website files. This is changed quite a bit from Apache 1.3x.

Thanks again.

Larry

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to spdrcr5

Premium Member

to spdrcr5
Sorry I dont have a config file at hand, but in windows there should be a directory like htdocs inside the apache directory where to put your files.
spdrcr5

spdrcr5

You mean you can't use a pointer telling the server within the httpd.conf file where the website files are stored?

If that is the case, then I have to reinstall the software and put it on a different partition. lol

Thanks, need to do more reading tomorrow.

Larry