Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GreatPumpkin

join:2003-01-24
Knoxville, TN

Possible Customer

Hi!
I am moving back to Knoxville, TN soon and I'm wondering about the Knology service. I currently use Bellsouth DSL and have used it in the past when I lived in Knoxville before. The service has been good but want to check my options.
My biggest concerns are stability and latency. If one of you could post a trace route to DSLreports.com and/or let me know how stable connections are that would be helpful.
Thanks.
GP

penguin356
Premium
join:2001-02-01
Somewhere
kudos:1

Hey Great,

I'll post a tracert tonight when I get home. As a far as stability, my connection has been rock solid for over a year.

Mike

Cop
Premium
join:2001-09-05
Auburn, AL

I would have to agree that the cable never dies unless we have noticed you ahead of time of upgrades. Pings are great also. If you have any problems or questions just ask.

penguin356
Premium
Somewhere
reply to GreatPumpkin

Great,

Here you go:

Tracing route to dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms smoothwall [192.168.0.1]
2 18 ms 20 ms 14 ms 24.X.X.X
3 20 ms 14 ms 16 ms eth1-1-0.Knox.TN.US.knology.net
4 28 ms 36 ms 34 ms atm1-0-1.Atla.GA.US.knology.net
5 34 ms 30 ms 32 ms gig3-1-0.Atla.GA.US.knology.net
6 40 ms 32 ms 33 ms 205.215.2.65
7 41 ms 50 ms 44 ms p5-core02.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com
8 40 ms 40 ms 47 ms p15-core01.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com
9 46 ms 47 ms 42 ms mae-east-atm.peer.nac.net
10 58 ms 55 ms 53 ms 0195.at-0-1-0.gbr1.oct.nac.net
11 54 ms 51 ms 53 ms 0095.gi-1-1.msfc1.oct.nac.net
12 48 ms 65 ms 58 ms www.dslreports.com

Trace complete.

GreatPumpkin

Knoxville, TN

RE: possible customer

Thanks guys for your responses. I'll definitely look into Knology when I get moved. They offer cable and phone also correct? Is there a package deal there or some kind of discount included?
Also, about the latency/ping thing. I'm a gamer and I just wanted to know if any of you all notice any ping spikes at certain times of day. Mine are always consistent w/ Bellsouth but I know w/ cable modem providers like Comcast, pings will shoot up really high during peak hours. Any of you gamers or take notice of this with Knology?

penguin356
Premium
Somewhere
reply to GreatPumpkin

Re: Possible Customer

Knology does 3-in-1 (Cable, Phone and Internet) or just individual services. They offer discounts when you get two or more services. Knology advertises 1.5/256. I almost always get over 2 D/L and 256/384 U/L. I did that tracert last night at 8:00 PM. Comcast sucks durring peak times (Used to have Comcast before I moved and switched). My pings do not vary very much. I have gamed with my connection with both PC and Xbox live.

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

I agree when gaming my pings stay very consistence. The highest ping for me while playing counter strike around 6 PM was 70 ms.

Also the 3-in-1 is a great plan. If you do get their Phone, Tv, and Net, you will get $20 taken off your net bill insted of being charged $50 for the net.

Thanks, Scott
--
gone

GreatPumpkin

Knoxville, TN

Sounds really good guys. Thanks for your help. I'll definitely consider Knology when I get settled in. May even do the 3 in 1 deal!!

hifidelity

join:2003-04-03
Columbus, GA

GP, I was a customer of Knology until I switched to BLS DSL. I had no outages for the almost 2 years I was with them, or I just didn't notice or wasn't there to notice it. The reason I went with the DSL is I wanted something new I like DSL a little better thus far, but wouldn't mind referring people to Knology. I paid $136 a month for local phone, LD Phone, Digital platinum TV (all channels), and Internet. It rocked. You won't be disappointed.

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

Cable has many addvantages over dsl. For one cable is capable of so much more speed.

Scott

hifidelity

join:2003-04-03
Columbus, GA

You are right Scott. Cable has the potential of being faster than DSL. The speed tests for Knology when I had them were faster for the download, but not the upload. I do notice that on Kazaa, my DSL seems to download faster than my cable modem did, but I guess to each his own I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Knology to people though. I never had a problem with it. I just wanted to try something new

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to Cop

said by Cop:
Cable has many addvantages over dsl. For one cable is capable of so much more speed.
Very true, but only if the node size and bandwidth consumption is properly maintained and balanced. If a cable ISP adds too many new subscribers on a node, bandwidth consumption can easily exceed the node's capacity. For reference, a node can supply about 27Mbps on the downstream, and 6Mbps upstream. With the continuing explosive growth of P2P and online gaming, that 6Mbps pipe can get clogged very quickly, leading to higher latency and slower downloads. Splitting a node can alleviate congestion by affectively doubling the available bandwidth.

I know in N. Columbus, Knology has been adding more nodes in existing neighborhoods. Even more so where new subdivisions and apartment complexes are going up. The same is probably true for other areas of Columbus that are growing, or has a higher concentration of folks who love to utilize their broadband connection...teenagers and young adults!

The best example I can show for adding nodes is along Double Churches Rd. where Knology and Mediacom have nodes placed at about 1/2 mile intervals! When you think about it, this is an insane amount of bandwidth provided for this road. But if you look at the demographics, this area is mostly apartment complexes and high density housing developments filled with young families and teenagers...prime broadband candidates.

Cop
Premium
Auburn, AL

said by DJ:
said by Cop:
Very true, but only if the node size and bandwidth consumption is properly maintained and balanced. If a cable ISP adds too many new subscribers on a node, bandwidth consumption can easily exceed the node's capacity. For reference, a node can supply about 27Mbps on the downstream, and 6Mbps upstream. With the continuing explosive growth of P2P and online gaming, that 6Mbps pipe can get clogged very quickly, leading to higher latency and slower downloads. Splitting a node can alleviate congestion by affectively doubling the available bandwidth.

I know in N. Columbus, Knology has been adding more nodes in existing neighborhoods. Even more so where new subdivisions and apartment complexes are going up. The same is probably true for other areas of Columbus that are growing, or has a higher concentration of folks who love to utilize their broadband connection...teenagers and young adults!

The best example I can show for adding nodes is along Double Churches Rd. where Knology and Mediacom have nodes placed at about 1/2 mile intervals! When you think about it, this is an insane amount of bandwidth provided for this road. But if you look at the demographics, this area is mostly apartment complexes and high density housing developments filled with young families and teenagers...prime broadband candidates.
Very good point. It also depends on what cable ISP you get. I know of many ISPs that dont care if a not gets overwelmed. Knology for one actually will keep working to give you the same speed or more.

Scott