All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
goldmine8483
join:2002-01-05
Palmyra, PA

goldmine8483

SMC Combo Deal

Any thoughts on this combo deal? is the equipment good?

»www2.warehouse.com/produ ··· c&blind=

seejaywhy
Premium Member
join:2002-10-23
Lotus, CA

seejaywhy

Premium Member

said by goldmine8483:
Any thoughts on this combo deal? is the equipment good?

»www2.warehouse.com/produ ··· c&blind=
I use the pcmcia cards in my home network and have had no problems. I don't have the barricade, I use a SMC 2655W Access Point with a separate firewall & switch. If you get it, let me know the barricade worked out.. I was thinking of getting one for my mom's house.

cj
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt to goldmine8483

to goldmine8483
Check on the SMC hardware forum to get thoughts from someone with similar hardware.

My 7004AWBR had numerous issues that were never resolved since it was apparently at the end of its life cycle (any lifetime warranty is for the life that the particular model is still currently sold). My unit fails to link with 10/100 PC Cards unless card is forced back to 10baseT, it is supposed to be able to fallback to dialup, but it only works with PPP for a couple of minutes before hanging (still says connected), etc. Maybe they ironed out those problems in newer 7004VWBR.

My SMC 2632W wireless PC card works fine in Win98 or Linux, but they apparently have same model with several different chips (multiple versions).

So I am now using Linksys WAP11 v2.2. But Linksys seems to bring products to market, then uses customers for beta testing firmware to get the bugs out of it over a prolonged period. It is hard to make recommendations when I have not gotten hardware that worked out of the box, except my Dlink DI-704 gateway (which is now obsolete).