All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
pppreese
join:2002-03-07
San Jose, CA

pppreese

[wired] BEFW11S4 Use two isps but directing specific traff

I'd like to use my cable modem connection for most of my surfing. I'd also like to use my DSL (from my university) network for tasks on that network.

In thinking about this a few ideas came into play. First, use a Linux box in router form to make this possible. Second, see if the Linksys Cable/DSL modem might work.

I could see configuring the network in the following ways:

Cable Modem
|
|
|
-------
| | Linksys 4 port
| | Static Route to DSL
--------
| | | |
/ / / \
/ / / \
/ / / \
Home net DSL Modem

I can see how you'd set this up in the web interface for the router. A couple of questions. How would the traffic know to use the DSL modem leg off of the switch? Secondly, someone around here mentioned that it would know which leg as the Linksys router would arp for the DSL modems address and respond according. If true, an issue is that the DSL modem doesn't have arp enabled, so it would never respond.

Does anyone think this should work or have a different configuration that would work?

Thanks!

Bisucas
join:2001-10-15
France

Bisucas

Your network is kind of tricky since the DSL modem cannot connect to the LAN port, but instead it should connect to the WAN port where you have the cable modem.

To do what you want you can connect a PC between the LAN port and the DSL router (unless it can be directly connected which is rare to find) set as a different network. Then use the routing functions on the router to direct specific addresses through the DSL modem/PC.
pppreese
join:2002-03-07
San Jose, CA

pppreese

Thanks for the suggestion Bisucas,

I've gone the Linux route for now.