Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

latichever

join:2000-06-09
New Haven, CT
reply to Just Looking9

Re: These Ducks Quack !!!

Anybody have real world experience with the parabolic antenna and 802.11a equipment? I have a Netgear HR314 router/access point. Love the throughput. Am disatisfied with the range. Would like to get consistent coverage on the second floor--AP on first floor where everything is fine--and get some coverage on the third floor.

Got a four pack of Pringles at the local BJs Warehouse with a dollar off coupon.

IMHO the key design issue is getting the cardboard or whatever is used to hold the parabolic reflector's shape and through which the dipole goes through. I've looked at all the pictures and am wondering if a thick piece of styrofoam could do this job. Anybody have any tips on this issue? Thanks in advance.

Am trying to avoid shooting up wires to the second and third floor of my house and/or not having to buy additional access points. Netgear is having a 50 dollar off rebate deal on their APs that expires 3-31, so I'm going to have build this and try it out before then.

boomerbubba

join:2001-06-15
Austin, TX

The parabolic design should work on the 5 Ghz frequencies without modification. Be aware that these frequencies are inherently more susceptible to attenuation in walls, etc., than 802.11b.

The dissected pringles cans should work fine, I think, with styrofoam. But if it were me, I would look first to the EZ-12 template on the FreeAntennas.com site. I haven't built it, but it really does look easy.