share rss forum feed

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to Icarus

Re: FP Open Board Meetings

All: One last time, my team mates, please pause, check temper, before hitting that post button. When it becomes aimed at a person, his/her motivation, his/her age level in terms of behavior, not only is insulting, but it tends to detract from any point one might be trying to make.

FP members, I believe you are capable of discussing issues on a higher plane than this. If an opinion different from yours upsets you so much you are willing to fling insults at your team mate, wouldn't it be a good idea to step back and think about what causes such strong feelings?

If your point is valid, it shouldn't require the insults for support. Your point should be able to stand on its own.
--
Team Helix Forum - Join Us?

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium
join:2001-08-29
way way out
Reviews:
·Comcast
i stand by my original post since i belive it is the reason why this issue remains open and it needed to be discussed but i will edit it.....

as for my stance, i belive closed board meetings are the way to go. Again i will leave it up to the general population and if you want to have open meetings then call a general vote and override the board....
--
Come join us at »www.xmfan.com for some Satellite radio fun!!!

apprentice9
Premium
join:2001-02-17
Wellington, KS

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
I think that the meeting should be open IF they can be done in a timely manner. IF not then they should be closed to the public and can be reported to the public after the fact. First off if it is time consuming to do it openly then NO it should not be. Everyone here has a life outside of here and has to tend to it. So why should we tie up 5 people while we get our fill. Just does not make good sence to me. I will trust and help in any way I can. To make this project work. I just want to see a cure.

Apprentice (Chuck)

RPM Jack
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-19
USA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

2 recommendations

reply to P Ness
I support retaining the option to have at least some part of a board meeting open to the association members; other parts of the meeting could still be held in closed session. There may be special circumstances where the entire board meeting was held in closed session, but hopefully that would not be a regular occurrence. I also support retaining/storing the full board meeting logs as mentioned by rfhar.

I have no plans to run for the board, but "exposing" some of the workings of the board may be beneficial to other people interested in joining the board in the future.

In light of sorto's post, I won't comment on any of the "trust" issues, etc.
--
"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

7 recommendations

reply to Icarus
I'll just throw in my brief comments and then stay out of the way, however as the "eldest" Moderator of the team forum I hope you add a little extra weight to my thoughts.

I can not for any reason see why those meetings should be closed. There simply is no good reason I can conceive that this project is so sensitive that it requires to be done under a veil of secrecy. It's a simple concept, no reason to "make things sanitary" for the public to view. Just do your business and let it get sorted out later. If someone accidentally cusses, no one should care.

I would recommend that the meetings are open for *observation only* and not allow comments from the floor. This would eliminate any concerns of the Board that opening it up would make the meetings longer. They are volunteers, they need to get things done and move on.

If another member has a concern, they can either post it here later or ask a Board member by IM.

This isn't rocket science folks, it's a forum where a bunch of people get together via a website with no physical interaction at all. It's almost not even real, you know, just "0"'s and "1"'s... Let's not get carried away with emotional response and lose sight of reality.

-Matt

willhemakeit
Premium
join:2001-04-17
Americus, GA

4 recommendations

reply to Icarus
In my opinion and in reading all of the posts on this subject, there was no dissension anywhere on the board until the board meetings were closed. That just doesn't seem like a democracy to me. I am not saying that in the board meeting that everyone has a voice, but that they should have an oppurtunity to observe. I don't know how it makes everyone else feel, but it makes me feel left out in the cold looking in at the other people sitting around the fire...I also don't understand why this program is tearing itself apart about this one issue. I probably wouldn't ever look in on a board meeting, but I would like to know that I could if I wanted to....
I will always vote on having open meetings on any subject.
I alway thought that if you don't want anyone to know what you are saying, don't say it...
--
Help your fellow man Join Team Helix Helix Forum

Spectre93
Premium
join:2001-06-07
Wallingford, CT

8 recommendations

reply to Icarus
I vote for open board meetings. In a project where it takes group support to keep it running, an effort by members as well as a committee, I think full open public meetings should be done. I also see no reason why committee members cannot simply discuss amongst themselves things they wish to keep out of the public. Lets be realistic here, we all have private meetings amongst ourselves by IM or email. No one can expect the committee to post EVERY SINGLE message they exchange for all to read. Thats insane. But I do believe that all regular meetings pertaining to the project should be in the open.

I wont rehash an IM I sent out a short time ago, but I will say it is disturbing to drop in here and see so many people who have been friends for so long fighting over all this. This project is supposed to be a FUN project that draws good friends together. If its going to turn friends into enemies and turn people against each other, then count me out. There is enough hatred in the world. Lets relax around here, have a group hug or something, and stop ruining this. There is more to this project than curing diseases. Dont forget the personal elements here.

Spectre

[Edit for clarification]
[text was edited by author 2003-03-26 19:20:57]

coolspot4

join:2002-09-17
Glendale Heights, IL
reply to Icarus
My Vote = No

parkut
Crunch Addict
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-15
Harrison Township, MI
kudos:7

2 recommendations

reply to Icarus
Upon reflection I vote: Open

woogie
Mrs. Wafen
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-07
Maplewood MN
reply to Icarus
I, of course, vote OPEN

Gargoyle
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-07
join:2000-12-29
Planet X

1 recommendation

I agree with woogs ... and vote for Open.

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI
i vote open, maybe sorto could do another split for a voting thread?

Icarus
CHAOS RULES
Premium,Mod
join:2000-11-08
Off Center
kudos:1
reply to Gargoyle
OPEN!

Gargoyle
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2004-07
join:2000-12-29
Planet X

No, don't split this thread. I am drafting a motion for you all to vote on. I will post it in another thread sometime later this evening.

EDIT: Looks like will post the vote tomorrow. Sorry, but I would like all 5 board members to approve my draft motion and I only have 3 approvals because the other two haven't been on BBR in a few hours.

[text was edited by author 2003-03-26 23:30:47]

bleys4u
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Philadelphia, PA
reply to Icarus
i posted in the other thread before i actually read this thread. Quite frankly none of this makes sense to me I joined, donated for what i considered to be a Team effort for a most noble cause I still think that cause is most noble. However i think Team has been forgotten on that note I will have no further participation in the FP project. This thread is very disconcerting to my view of Team Helix. I'll just do my Genome and no longer participate in this or any future so called Team Projects cripes people get a grip. So please remove my name in any form as a contact in the FP thingy.
--
Help Find A Cure! Join Team Helix! bleys4u@dslr.net

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
I guess I still don't understand all this fighting. Some are making this too hard.

Anyway, I vote: closed board meetings, with the option of having others watch the meeting but can't chat in it at some future date. Post minutes of the meeting.
--
Do you have a forever home waiting for them? »www.minpinrescue.org/

wafen
Mr woogie
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2006-14
join:2001-02-01
Maplewood MN

1 recommendation

reply to bleys4u
I am sorry to see you want to leave the project bleys.
Even though there is a disagreement, I think everyone has the best interest of the project at heart.
Once this issue is resolved I feel we are going to have a great project.
However you decide, thanks for all you have done bleys!

wafen
Treasurer
--
Join Team Helix! Help Us Find A Cure! HELIX on IRC

[text was edited by author 2003-03-27 14:20:31]

Optimum1
Hey Macleod, Get Offa My Ewe
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Minneapolis, MN
reply to Icarus
I've been asked via PM to take part in this thread....but my tolerance for discord is so low right now...
--
Fold! 20 systems, 19.0 Ghz, 301 mg of Thorazine daily...

uniquecp
Where'D It Go
Premium
join:2001-08-07
Scottsdale, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
I am only commenting as I am involved with a group that is doing this and we most certainly keep a closed forum for the Board to discuss things before they are brought before the general group. This is so the really dumb ideas get their say and die a quiet death without humiliating the owner of them.

This thread alone is proof of why you need closed board meetings. Everything they discussed was mentioned before the meeting, and everything they discussed was told to you after.

90% of the laws and decisions in this country are discussed originally behind closed doors by the pricipals. This is so the people involved can be focused on the items up for discussion and not worrying about who is going to say what about their thoughts.

Look, as long as they give you the opportunity to express your opinion before hand, and tell you what they decided afterwards they are doing what is required. You are getting all the information. The project can be managed efficiently and reasonably well.

If you have people running out to the forum half way through every meeting and telling people things that are not decided or completely discussed you will have this same thread going on and on and on, and do not say they would not do it, they just did.

Now quit whining at each other and get back to having fun at this.

'nuff said

Mod Edit: More than enough said, IMO. If you have any questions about this edit, please read my last caution to the participants here. Your personal insults to many people simply because their opinion on the issue differs from yours were totally out of line.

--
Things in your rearview mirror are much larger than they appear

[text was edited by moderator]

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
Reviews:
·Stablehost.com
said by uniquecp:
Now quit whining at each other and get back to having fun at this.

'nuff said
What he said!
--
Do you have a forever home waiting for them? »www.minpinrescue.org/

woogie
Mrs. Wafen
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-07
Maplewood MN
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

reply to uniquecp
said by uniquecp:

1. Their nosy, it is not an admirable trait
2. They are looking for a reason to start trouble with the elected board (This thread).
3. They are using it as a foot in the door to open the meeting to general commentary, which is also not a good idea from the looks of the threads discussing just this one topic.

You do not know my reason or any of the other members reasons, so please don't assume anything like that. And with that said "upon reflection I do not wish to post any further".
--
GAH In Honor Of Smittee. Team HelixTeam Ecology

Spectre93
Premium
Wallingford, CT

3 recommendations

reply to uniquecp
Im with ww on this and Im not particularly thrilled with the idea that my curiosity with the project and its workings is considered being nosy and troublemaking. That was uncalled for, uniquecp.

Is this what people really think with regards to open project meetings?

Spectre
--
Planetspectre - Your source for Folding@Home, Genome@Home, and Ikonboard Message Board Support

[text was edited by author 2003-03-27 16:48:54]

willhemakeit
Premium
join:2001-04-17
Americus, GA

4 recommendations

reply to uniquecp
"1. Their nosy, it is not an admirable trait
2. They are looking for a reason to start trouble with the elected board (This thread).
3. They are using it as a foot in the door to open the meeting to general commentary, which is also not a good idea from the looks of the threads discussing just this one topic"

Wow""!! What a slap in the face to over half of the people here!! That was'nt called for..
--
Join Team Helix Helix Forum

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
join:2000-09-28
Tha Zone

2 recommendations

Come on guys and gals lets not go down this road please... Lets keep this thread from getting locked or even worse deleted. Good things can come from this if we let it...
--
What have you BOUNCED today?

[text was edited by author 2003-03-27 17:52:32]

Axilla
Finger, Finger
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-03-26
Schofield, WI

1 recommendation

im with the cow lets keep it civil here.

Spectre93
Premium
Wallingford, CT
reply to Icarus
Count me out.

Spectre

SCOTTSAK
Anything That Falls On The Floor Is Mine
Premium
join:2000-10-29
San Mateo, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
Hello all. I think we all need to take a time out here and let things cool down a little. I hate to see this project run into the ground before it even has a chance to fly. I think it might make things difficult to expand this project with all the problems going on. Maybe we can take a little time before having to put this to a vote. Can we delay anymore board meetings too? I think in the long run, cooler heads may prevail. I hate to see people leaving before we even have the ground rules set. So please all, let's all take a big breath and relax a little.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

I must say I have renewed admiration for my fellow Team Helix mates for the restraint and maturity you have displayed in responding to a couple of posts in this thread.

What a team!

--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod

1 recommendation

reply to Icarus
I have had a request this thread be locked to make way for a new one. Icarus, originator, agreed.

In closing I would like to remind posters in this forum:

Personal insult or support for same is not welcome in this forum. Debate of an issue is certainly allowable. When you have to ascribe undesirable character to other individuals simply because their opinions differ from yours, you should step back and wonder why you need intimidation and insult to support your view. It just may be you don't have a case? Think about that.
--