spc
Search similar:

uniqs
WareWolF2k
join:2000-11-14
Allentown, PA

WareWolF2k

wireless range outdoor antennas

I am thinking of experimenting with a orinoco wireless ap and a 12-15 dB omni outdoor antenna. does anyone have one of these setup? what kind of range do you get... I know range is dependent on a million factors including LOS but approx what kind of range do you get before the signal drops off too low to be bearable... also how well is coverage inside the house with a big outdoor antenna? any dead spots?

netwire
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Dallas, NC

netwire

Premium Member

I tried getting a antenna from RadioShack last night, he asked what for and I told him it was going on an Access Point.. he told me they did not have anything like that... even though I seen many omnidirectional antennas sitting infront of me that could have worked. Where are you going to buy these antennas from if I may ask?
WareWolF2k
join:2000-11-14
Allentown, PA

WareWolF2k

I havent decided where yet but there are a few places online as well as a few dealers on ebay...

oldsouth
join:2001-06-11
Columbia, LA

oldsouth to WareWolF2k

to WareWolF2k
»www.hyperlinktech.com/index.html

WiFiFreak6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-21
Jacksonville, FL

WiFiFreak6 to netwire

Premium Member

to netwire
said by netwire:
I tried getting a antenna from RadioShack last night, he asked what for and I told him it was going on an Access Point.. he told me they did not have anything like that... even though I seen many omnidirectional antennas sitting infront of me that could have worked.
TV antennas from Radio Shack are not going to improve the reception or range of your WLAN.

»www.freeantennas.com

Has many, many good links to antenna design, theory and practical instructions for building suitable antennas.

Good luck!

Emil
pdeinc
join:2003-03-05
Melbourne, FL

pdeinc to WareWolF2k

to WareWolF2k
I'm setting up a link from my office to my home with 18dbi grids at about 1 mile. I still need to get a little more height to get over some trees but could probably go several miles with these. I have a box of good used ones if you want to buy one or two. About $45 each plus shipping?