uniqs
share rss forum feed

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
join:2000-12-28
Netherlands
reply to FKrooG2

Re: [BOUNCE] I wonder???????? TSC and UD.....

said by FKrooG2:
said by babacher:
Not understanding all the Linux-speak, I ask what may be a dumb question:

Does this mean we're closer to getting TSC to work with BOUNCE?

Not yet but as soon as I get my system up and running I will try setting up a blade to boot level 5

Thinking out loud:

Can't you just run the TSC line with the 'command-line' option in level 3?

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
join:2000-09-28
Tha Zone
No it needs some Java stuff to run...

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
said by FKrooG2:
No it needs some Java stuff to run...
True, but can't the 'Java stuff' run from the commandline/level 3 either?

I believe the big problem had to do with the PATH setting that points the client to the req. libraries and files.

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone

It is starting to come back...

Your right. I think during the install it sets the path info somewhere so that even if you copy the program from one DIR to another it still thinks it is running from the master DIR.

I will look at it more once I get my blades back up and running...
--
Yeshua ( Jesus) was a Torah-observant, synagogue-attending, tallit-wearing Jew who taught the world about the Kingdom of God and then gave His own life in order to afford YOU a place in heaven. Halleluyah! ( Praise the Lord!)

[text was edited by author 2003-04-04 17:27:56]

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
reply to Starfish
At what location do I need to store the master copy of FAH so that it can get copied for each blade? Plus Like in the original yatta docs, do I need to create the directory frame work? I don't remember what it was....

MstrBlstr0
Premium
join:2001-07-14
Corpus Christi, TX

Ooooops
[text was edited by author 2003-04-05 05:32:20]

Pin
Premium
join:2002-06-19
The Dungeon
reply to FKrooG2
Sorry, it took me a while to remember how to change raic back to BOUNCE mode. It has been running in Yatta mode while I helped MstrBlstr.

dhcpd.conf is required. Without it, the blade will never boot. The 2nd thing etherboot does (5th on the LTSP list) is query the dhcpd.conf for the MAC address. No match, you go nowhere fast.

As to the TSC --------------
I have tried many ways to install that beast and run it. It always comes back that it is already running. The controller:file option is the way to go and it does not require java. I'll try FK's handy little switch and see what that does.
--
time nor tide wait for no man...
TEN - Team Endeavor | BOUNCE |RC5

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands

reply to FKrooG2
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by FKrooG2:
At what location do I need to store the master copy of FAH so that it can get copied for each blade?
You can configure that via the interface!
(see 1st screenshot)

This setting is saved in the database as well... and automatically used in the starter script that is generated on the fly

said by FKrooG2:
? Plus Like in the original yatta docs, do I need to create the directory frame work? I don't remember what it was....
Are you talking about the location where the clients are working?

The new BOUNCE deals with that in the following way:
As you can see in the 2nd screenshot you can set the 'Client Root Working Directory' as well via the interface.

In this case BOUNCE will use the '/home/bounce/dcworking' directory as root for storing all the work from the nodes.

The starter script will take this directory and append all the relevant information automatically (!) from a specific node to this 'root'.

So ultimately you get nodes working in dirs' like this:

/home/bounce/dcworking/node1/folding/task_01
/home/bounce/dcworking/node1/folding/task_02
/home/bounce/dcworking/node2/dfold/task_01
/home/bounce/dcworking/node3/dnetc/task_01
etc.

I've added two older screenshots of this 'automatic directory builder' scripts running on my Win2K machine:

'Bounce_first_start!.gif' shows that the starter script have found out that certain directories and files are missing, and it tries to compensate for that.

'Bounce_2nd_start!.gif' shows what would happen if the same node boots a second time:

The correct directory structure and accompanying files are already present.. so it can just start the client in the end without needing to make a directory tree

-> The node name is used that is also shown in the BOUNCE interface

-> The 'project shortname' can also be found in the first screenshot. It's a 'short, safe name' that can be used for creating the directories. You can store the full project name in the 'full project name' field.

Basically the 'shortname' is for the storing system, the 'full name' is for describing the project in your management interface.

I hope this explains the idea and system even better
[text was edited by author 2003-04-05 03:58:20]

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys have changed this thing up and in doing so have made it so much easier!!!!!!!!

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
said by FKrooG2:
MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys have changed this thing up and in doing so have made it so much easier!!!!!!!!
Wasn't that the goal of the BOUNCE project? To make is easier

MstrBlstr0
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
So we now have F-K testing it... Does it actually work now? If so send me the files and I will start loading it here as well on the other HDD...
--
Foldinator Project - Team Helix

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
said by MstrBlstr0:
So we now have F-K testing it... Does it actually work now?

PinHead has been testing it quite a few times in the past few months to be able to develop it so far as it is now.

It's not entirely complete yet. The most important issue at this point is the lack of some rough lines of documentation to get this first beta installed and running.

FK has some problems as well now.. not major ones from what I hear, but things like missing commands/packages that we added in the past we months when needed.

But as far as I know we don't have a complete listing of differences/extra things needed compared to the 'regular' LTSP.

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
reply to FKrooG2
I'll call this a partial list, because it was done over time and I may be forgetting something. But I will probably remember when you get the error.

1.) Compile php command line client. Place in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/bin or /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/local/bin depending on compile time options.

2.) glibc has to be upgraded on the clients. The version on LTSP is older than the version on Mandrake 8.2. This shows itself with su problems.

3.) I changed the first line of starfish's php command line scripts, but I am not certain that it is necessary.
#!/bin/php

4.) Had to comment out a section of the rc.local that displays the value of RESULTS. Don't know if that has been fixed or not.

That is all that is coming to me right now.
--

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
How to I install PHP as a CGI:

run:

./configure --without-apache --with-mysql

then

make
make install

FK basically received the starter scripts you mailed back to me PH

I quickly stripped those of unnecessary bits of debug information. Points 3 & 4 should probably already been dealt with

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
said by Starfish:

run:

./configure --without-apache --with-mysql

then

make
make install

At what location should I run this?

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
reply to FKrooG2
When you downloaded the php*.bz2 source files, it should have gone in /usr/src. Right click and choose extract here.

You will then have /usr/src/php-4.3.0 open a terminal ( may have to be su ) and cd /usr/src/php-4.3.0 then you run the ./configure and all from there.

Your finished file will probably end up in /usr/local/bin.
--

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
Ok I will download it.. I installed php thru the Software Manager and downloaded it from the web and installed it from there....

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
reply to FKrooG2
The version on Mandrake 8.2 is too old to do what we are doing with the php command line. It's only off by one or 2 minor versions.
--

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
I was running 4.1.2 and am upgrading to 4.3.1 right now...

My server is a 233 Compaq laptop so it is not the fastest of systems....

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
reply to Pin
I just saw Fishie asking me in a IM if awk worked. It does on the server but not on the blade??? Pinhead??? Did you copy awk somewhere???

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
said by FKrooG2:
I just saw Fishie asking me in a IM if awk worked. It does on the server but not on the blade??? Pinhead??? Did you copy awk somewhere???
Fishie got up early today.

Sorry FK, thought I sent an IM on this.

Copy gawk to /opt/ltsp/i386/bin
then make a link: ln -s gawk awk
in a terminal session in /opt/ltsp/i386/bin

I think it was a symbolic link.
--

Starfish
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ExMod 2002-04
Netherlands
said by Pin:
said by FKrooG2:
Fishie got up early today.

Don't let them timezones fool ya

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
reply to Pin
Pinhead,
When I run In -s gawk awk I get a command not found???

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
reply to FKrooG2
small "L"
ln -s gawk awk

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
LOL!!!!!!!!!! I thought that was a i

MstrBlstr0
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
ROFLMAO!!! Don't feel bad, I did that same thing....

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
ok... Now I can awk from the blade now but it does not understand /Ether/ or /ether/

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
run this command from your blade and see if you get the mac address:

ifconfig -a | awk /Ether/'{ print $5 }'

also, go ahead and test php:

php -v

should spit out the version number. If you get glibc errors, then we need to upgrade glibc in the ltsp directories.

I am working on a script for that now.
--

FKrooG2
Working my way back
Premium
Tha Zone
php -v returns

php: /lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.2.3' not found (required by php)

I have 2.2.4 installed on the server...

ifconfig -a | awk /Ether/'{ print $5 )' returns:

awk: cmd. line:2: (FILENAME=- FNR=1) fatal error: internal error
--
Yeshua ( Jesus) was a Torah-observant, synagogue-attending, tallit-wearing Jew who taught the world about the Kingdom of God and then gave His own life in order to afford YOU a place in heaven. Halleluyah! ( Praise the Lord!)

Pin
Premium
The Dungeon
reply to FKrooG2
Try replacing awk with gawk, maybe it was not supposed to be a symbolic link.

As to the glibc, basically what I did was compare what was in /opt/ltsp/i386/lib with what was in /lib as it pertained to glibc. Renamed the originals with .org. Copied the files from /lib to /opt/ltsp/i386/lib , but only the ones that were already in /opt/ltsp/i386/lib. Then either recreated the links or renamed, just as they were before.

There is also a file or two in /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/lib that is related to glibc.

Clear as mud, right.
--