MikBo
Just Happy To Be Here
Premium Member
join:2002-01-04
Lynchburg, VA

MikBo

Premium Member

Ouch! The Gremlins are Back !

Past couple weeks my connection has been crapping out,been several calls made to support and their response has been great. Wish I could say the same for the local techs that have checked my connection.At least the first one was nice enough to check my line levels, and offer a plausible explanation.The second one saw my connection was working and said everything was fine,oh well!Got a third tech coming by Monday,managed to get a line check done ,and will show him the results,at that time it had 50%packetloss.Tracerts were useless,most showed limited or no response,although what readings were listed were in the 20 to 40ms range. Any suggestions?

JacksGhost
Got Bottle?
join:2002-12-29
Buffalo, NY

JacksGhost

depending on which brick (modem) you have, print out its internal page once in a while. Watch the signal levels and snr and see if theres any variation/flux in levels.

If so, print them out.. could be part of the issue your having.

Jax

MikBo
Just Happy To Be Here
Premium Member
Lynchburg, VA

MikBo

Premium Member

Good point Jack , will do,thanks!

JacksGhost
Got Bottle?
join:2002-12-29
Buffalo, NY

JacksGhost to MikBo

to MikBo
I suggested this to a gentlewoman a while back. Her service would always drop a lot durring late evening hours ( 11pm-1am in her region. Thats the downside of primetime but the drop she was seeing was rather drastic ( like 3M down to 25k )

After monitoring her connection for a week, she called in with the results and a truck was rolled.

Apparently there were a lot of folks causing a draw on the line and the amps in her area were running weak. As the lines saturated more, speeds started to crawl and TV reception fouled.

Most people associate their 'speed' or 'latency' issues with something to do in reguards to "We're so oversold..." when a lot of times, packet loss due to a weak signal could be causing their issue. When tcp/ip has to re-transmit for a NACK on every 5th to 7th packet there will be slowdowns.

Signal strength and the quality of it needs to be in good standing in order for the data to have a valid entry/exit point from your host out to the network.

Another suggestion is when your service is experiencing these problems, check the picture quality of your digital channels as well as the first few analog channels ( I can't recall if VA has any reverse systems running still.. I think they did away with all of them.. Any input Macleech? ).

Sincerly
Jax

MikBo
Just Happy To Be Here
Premium Member
Lynchburg, VA

MikBo

Premium Member

Few more details,no problem with TV reception,analog reception,and no specific time frame for problem.first indication of problem is usually MSN Messenger icon slow to connect,followed by computer looking for proxy server.When 4th light on Motorola SB4100 starts blink,connection is gone.After call is made to tech support,modem will lose all but power light and if given enough time it will slowly gain back all lights and when pinged by tech will show any where from 50% to 90% packet loss.Check of modem log and settings reveals all levels are acceptable.Have had similar problem twice before in the past 2 years,modem was replaced once and the other was mysteriously corrected with no feedback as to what happened.My best guess is aliens!

SOLdesign
Did I drink a shot of Irrational Whore?
Premium Member
join:2002-07-29
Woodland Hills, CA

SOLdesign

Premium Member

my best guess is MSN messenger. shoot the messenger.

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

MacLeech to JacksGhost

Premium Member

to JacksGhost
said by JacksGhost:
I can't recall if VA has any reverse systems running still.. I think they did away with all of them..
Not quite sure what ya mean by that... modems need a reverse communication system, so if thats what you were refering to, then yes it still has them.
said by JacksGhost:
Any input Macleech?
As far as everthing else, you got it right. Marginal signal can cause slow speeds due to packet loss and poor signal can cause the modem to loose sync, interrupting the connection entirely.

Signal does vary depending on temprature, which of course varies depending on time of day.

So my first guess would be a signal issue too. Then again you said that the signal levels on the modem look good, so what does the log page on the modem show? »192.168.100.1/logs.html

MikBo
Just Happy To Be Here
Premium Member
Lynchburg, VA

MikBo

Premium Member

Will have to look at log tomorrow and i assume I will be looking for readings that are less then what standards call for?

MacLeech
The one and only
Premium Member
join:2001-07-14
SoCal

MacLeech

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by MikBo:
Will have to look at log tomorrow and i assume I will be looking for readings that are less then what standards call for?
I was really looking for log entries (see example above) which might indicate why the modem keeps loosing sync. Some intermittent signal issues which aren't indicated by the current signal levels the modem shows when checked, might show up as "T-n timeouts" in the log.

But if you want, post your signal levels too.

MikBo
Just Happy To Be Here
Premium Member
Lynchburg, VA

MikBo

Premium Member

Thanks Mac will check tomorrow when I get home.
MikBo

MikBo to MacLeech

Premium Member

to MacLeech
Got the modem log Mac,thing is 11 pages long,just a listing of a couple lines,**********5-warning,D529.2,DHCPAttempt#2BkOff:8s Tot DSC:2OFF:1REQ:1 Ack1-next line;**********5-warningD520.2,DHCPAttempt#1 BkOff:4s Tot DSC:1 OFFF:0REQ:0 ACK:0 Modem is SB4100-4.0.12-SCM05-NOSHELL one set of events on log has 8 events just like this in a row wih a range of 4s up to 29s, I could send complete log but like I said it is 11 pages long.i also read one of your post where you mentioned some modems have upload problems,low speeds on SB4100.Could this be one of them?