spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

IceT

join:2001-11-14
Waldorf, MD

Can't connect second computer to cable modem?!

I have recently signed up for Comcast cable. The technician installed the cable modem to one of my computers using the USB port. The modem manual says it can handle 2 computers using it at the same time, since i thats a USB port as well as an ethernet port. Well, I tried connecting the second computer to the cable modem using my ethernet card and the ethernet port on the cable modem, however, my second computer acts like an internet connection doesn't even exist or it isn't even connected to a modem. How can I share the access using the modem?

Is there any manual settings I have to enter? Like an IP or something? Thanks in advance.

alfnoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-18

first off what brand and model cable modem do you have?

Second I think this only works if you pay for more than one IP.

Are you paying for more than one IP?

peace

ChicagoCPA

join:2001-12-02
Mokena, IL
reply to IceT

All the cable modems I have seen only allow one connection USB or Ethernet at one point in time. So I too would be courious to know the make and model of the modem as well.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to IceT

It sounds like you only have one IP, to share your modem, get a router and plug both computers into it. You can't get two computers on the net on one modem if you only pay for one IP. The modem should work with one computer USB and one NIC if you pay for two IP's. With a router, you can share the connection

Optimized
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2004-13
join:2001-05-03
Ringwood, NJ

It would likely be cheaper to get a $30-$40 router then to pay for 2 IP's every month.
--
Visit the New York Chat

AuroraMike
Time To Blow Some Bubbles
Premium
join:2002-01-06
Aurora, CO
reply to IceT

I've never heard of a modem that allowed a ethernet and usb connection. What kind is it?

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to IceT

Yeah you need to normally pay for second computer, your best bet would be to go buy a router, I recommend dlink or linksys, both of these companys update there software (firmware) often and there features are great.

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

reply to AuroraMike

I think the SB 4100 and above does this. Essentially it acts like a two port hub.

edit--
from this page; the SB4200:

-Supports up to 32 users (1 via USB and up to 31 via Ethernet) (01)
-Ethernet and USB connections are bridged allowing LAN traffic between USB device and Ethernet LAN

--
So it begins.

[text was edited by author 2003-04-28 23:44:18]

jay6082

join:2002-10-16
Crown Point, IN
reply to IceT

Yes, the SB4100 started with the USB and Ethernet connections. To use both you need to buy the addition IP address.
--
Pray for the safety and quick return of our troops over seas.

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium
join:2000-07-03
Rosamond, CA
Reviews:
·Charter
·Antelecom
reply to IceT

In order to get two computers hooked you will need to either buy an additional I.P. Address for an extra $5 a month or you will need to buy a router. The router uses NAT (Network Address Translation), which allows multiple computers to access the internet while only using one I.P. Address. A basic router will cost anywhere from $30-$60.
--
So many pretty buttons.

The Way Out

join:2003-01-20
reply to IceT

A word of warning -- don't expect ANY help from Comcrap if you're using a router. While I hate Comcrap as much as the next person, I'm glad they're not encouraging this home router BS.

mrwedo

join:2003-03-10
Chicago, IL

oh heres something for ya, after the attbi-comcast whatever .. i wanted my daughters computer hooked up also so for the fun of it i hooked up this little 4 port hub i got and her machine to it also and she just automaticly was online with her own ip. so i disconnected it all and called comcast for an additional ip, haha they had no clue what was going on didnt know the prices didnt know the rules, nothing. called back a few times the past couple months and the same thing. the ppl answering the fones dont seem to know if they werk for attbi or comcast .. so i guess ill just wait till they get there things together. or not ....

aadic
Premium
join:2002-12-14
Trenton, NJ
reply to The Way Out

said by The Way Out:
A word of warning -- don't expect ANY help from Comcrap if you're using a router. While I hate Comcrap as much as the next person, I'm glad they're not encouraging this home router BS.
Why is that, are we not smart enough to have a home network?

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state
reply to mrwedo

said by mrwedo:
oh heres something for ya, after the attbi-comcast whatever .. i wanted my daughters computer hooked up also so for the fun of it i hooked up this little 4 port hub i got and her machine to it also and she just automaticly was online with her own ip. so i disconnected it all and called comcast for an additional ip, haha they had no clue what was going on didnt know the prices didnt know the rules, nothing. called back a few times the past couple months and the same thing. the ppl answering the fones dont seem to know if they werk for attbi or comcast .. so i guess ill just wait till they get there things together. or not ....
In alot of ATT areas the cfg's still allow 5 CEP IP's by default...Although they have a nasty habit of keeping track of you using them and just tacking it onto your bill.

Just a warning
--
Forum Posts:2400

IceT

join:2001-11-14
Waldorf, MD
reply to IceT

Thanks for the help guys. I have an RCA 305. Read this post for more details:
»Using USB & Ethernet on RCA 305

vizionblind

join:2002-01-19
Bealeton, VA
reply to mrwedo

I thought going USB instead of a NIC was worse?
--
My music composings »www.mp3.com/buliwyf

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

A NIC is better than USB, but USB is more than capable of handling your connection in most cases.

Kind of like a BMW is better than a Hyundai, but both are capable of getting you to work and back.
--
So it begins.

airhockey
Got Airhockey?
Premium
join:2001-03-01
San Jose, CA
reply to IceT

USB is like a Hyundai it works but you don't want to be seen using it hehe

comtechfl

@12.153.x.x
reply to vizionblind

the rca cable modem also allows connection through both usb, and ethernet. i have comcast(former attbi), which already allows up to 7 computers, so all i did was plug it in to both computers and it works

Corey_T
Toyota Offroad Forum Owner

join:2001-10-27
Auburn, WA
reply to IceT

This topic sparked my interest as I have a working home network I put together a few months back.

I just made a quick webpage to explain my network setup with one IP address.
I had been meaning to make a page anyways to explain this to a friend who is wanting to setup a network also.

Here is the page.
»pnw4runners.net/network/network.htm

Some of my terminology may be off, as I am not a network technician
--
My Pagehttp://pnw4runners.net/tando

SLIDERROMAN5

join:2003-01-07
New Haven, CT
reply to Optimized

The SB4220 and SB5100 allow you to use both ports.

makaze6

join:2002-01-04
reply to IceT

I actually read in a com21 manual, if you hook it into a usb hub, you can use it on like 5 machines..

pretty amazing.. considering it's usb