spc
Search similar:

uniqs
napcoman
join:2001-04-29
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

[NT] logon script won't run when connection is over VPN

Why does the logon script( a simple net use command to map a network drive) work when at the office on the lan but it does not run when I connect over the VPN. The VPN server is running NT 4.0. When at the office I get drives F and G after the script runs. When I log on to the VPN I don't see the script run thus no f and g in my computer. I have had it work a few times, like when I booted my win 98 laptop and hit cancel at the password prompt then started the vpn and I got the username and password block like I was at work. I can't remember what setting I did to make it happen,now I can't repeat it. I am the administrator of the network and I have a need to give remote vpn users access to some shares. Also I can't browse the network when on the VPN.

Thanks

zaffy
join:2000-10-14
New York

zaffy

Do you have a WINS and DNS server running and set up over the VPN connection?
napcoman
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

I do have a wins server, no dns server on the internal lan.
Also I was thinking of migrating to a win 2000 server domain, would that make it easier. Sometimes microsoft has issues with features that they cure in newer versions, I don't know if it would be any easier in a win 2000 domain running active directory. I have a test win 2000 server running at the office so I can learn, but have not tried to vpn to it, I would have to redirect my port fowarding to the test machine thus disconnecting the the VPN users, I would have to do this after hours. I simply want the vpn users able to see some network shares.

zaffy
New York

zaffy to napcoman

to napcoman
If you go on one of the VPN clients, can you ping a server by its NetBIOS name?
napcoman
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

I just logged in and tried to ping 3 of our servers by name and it works. It pings and comes back with the ip of the servers which I know are correct. When I go into network neiborhood, My client is win me at home, I only see my local home lan. I even have my home pcs in the same workgroup as the office.

zaffy
New York

zaffy to napcoman

to napcoman
You probably won't see the computers in Network Neighborhood just by the way that NetBIOS broadcasts work. If you try running the logon scripts by going to \\server\netlogon do you get the drives mapped?
napcoman
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

Don't know if I did it right. I went to dos prompt pinged the server by the netbios name, it responded, then I typed at the c prompt \\servername\netlogon\logon.bat
logon.bat is one of the scripts and I substituted the servername for the real name. It came back with bad command or file name. I even log on to the home terminal with the same username and password when win me starts up. What is weird is once by accident on my win 98 laptop I hit the cancel button as win started then started the VPN and it logged on with the script as long as I did not use my name and password when win 98 started up. On my win me destop I checked the properties of the vpn connection and I do have the win server defined with the right IP.

zaffy
New York

zaffy to napcoman

to napcoman
You need to goto Start> Run and type \\server\netlogon and OK. Then double-click on the name of the logon script to see if it works.
napcoman
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

Did that and it comes back saying it can't find it with a message that included the path \\server\netlogon. I went back to dos to verify I could ping the netbios name and it worked.

zaffy
New York

zaffy to napcoman

to napcoman
Can you connect to the server by typing \\IP Address\netlogon in Start> Run?
napcoman
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

No it comes back with the same message, can't find it, This is frustrating
napcoman

napcoman

now this is interesting, I fired up my laptop, the one that worked a few times , when I tried the run command I can see the netlogon share and I can manually run the script. I have to investigate the differences between both machines. How do I get my laptop to run it without going to the run command. It should run as I log in like when I am at the office.

zaffy
New York

zaffy to napcoman

to napcoman
It should be like it is at your office, but isn't. Try looking at the properties for the users and see if there is a different tab for VPN connection or look at the settings for VPN on the clients. On the WinME computer, can you goto a command prompt, and type net view ServerName?
napcoman
Rumson, NJ

napcoman

It works for the laptop (win98) but it says can't find the name on the Me box. I compared both boxes and they seem to be the same settings, I know there must be a difference. I got the laptop working again, In network properties I checked log on to nt domain. I did not have this checked because I was tired of seeing the domain at home when I was not remote dialing in. I re checked it put the domain in and re booted, When the username password and domain block came up I hit cancel and when into the desktop, If I clicked ok it would say no domain controller available. Then when I connected to the vpn The name password and domain block came up and I hit ok and the script ran, everything mapped except one drive, Have to look into it, I saw some type of error when it was on the last "M" drive. What would happen if my laptop was win2000 pro, You can't hit cancel to get to windows, How would I get into windows, log onto the local machine account then hope when I start the VPN dial that it askes for password and domain?
This still doesn't explain why my ME box won't do the same thing, I will keep looking.

zaffy
New York

zaffy to napcoman

to napcoman
The problems with the WindowsME computer may be that Windows ME does not support logging in to a domain. The best way to look at the problems in logon scripts is to add a pause at the end of it so you can see what happened. If you were on Windows 2000 Pro, and it was a member of the domain, it would boot up and want you to log on. When you enter a username/password Windows 2000/XP searches for a domain controller. If it can't find one, you can log on if your username/password is cached on that local computer. Also with Windows 2000/XP, there is a checkbox on the login screen that lets you connect using Dial-up or VPN. I would just give up with the Windows ME computer and try to persue the Windows 98 computer.