how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeffwids

join:2001-01-13
Manahawkin, NJ

Does DNS Server affect Download Speed?

My ISPs DNS servers were having problems recently so I switched the addresses that I was using for DNS. Since then I immediately noticed much better performance, especially when I speed test my line using the west coast locations. I didn't realize that the DNS servers I use could affect my download speed. Does anyone know why?

Before I switched DNS servers:
West Coast Speed Test: 320/300
East Coast Speed Test: 630/300

After I switched DNS servers:
West Coast Speed Test: 630/320
East Coast Speed Test: 670/320

Just curious,
-Jeff

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

The only thing DNS servers do is translate the www.s to IP Addresses. It has no real effect on speed at all. If the DNS is down, you cannot open a website via the URL, but the IP of it will load. I don't know why there was a sudden increase in speed from the one coast. If you want, set the secondary DNS (probably what you have set to primary) switch the two DNS servers and run the speed test again.
--
-M
"Official Tweaker of the New Millennium"
irc://irc.dal.net/#dslreports

jeffwids

Manahawkin, NJ

Do I have to use the DNS server IP addresses specified by my ISP or can I use other ones?

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

Use only the ones given to you by your ISP. Each ISP has a few DNS servers just for them, it won't work if you get any others.
--
-M
"Official Tweaker of the New Millennium"
irc://irc.dal.net/#dslreports

jeffwids

Manahawkin, NJ

Do you mean that it won't work, period? Or do you mean that if everyone uses the same DNS server then one will get bogged down and will respond slowly?

Because that is what I changed...I switched the DNS server IPs that my current ISP gave me to the ones given to me by the last ISP I had three months ago.