Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

Second Modem?

How does the system know if I put another (second) modem on the cable? Does Comcast's system register MACs? Will it not give me another IP address? Just curious how it works.

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

by HFC MAC address od the modem.it will lock but will not get an IP until it is called in to Comcast and provisioned.and it will also cost the same price as the first modem,not the $6.95 for a second IP.

Teriwyn
Neko Girl
Premium
Germantown, MD
reply to joetaxpayer

If you go out and just buy a second modem, it's not going to work. Registered with Comcast is the MAC address of your current modem. MAC = Media Access Control. An unregistered modem will be issued a disabled bootfile. The disabled bootfile says No IP address.

The system does not know where this other modem is plugged in, so they don't know that you've plugged this new modem in "on your line", but they don know of the presense of an unregistered modem, and they disable that unregistered modem until it is registered.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

Well, since Comcast offers no dial-up back up, I pay $22/mo to earthlink. Earthlink now offers cable net access over Comcast lines but their service (when I had their DSL) was very bad.
So I'm thinking I can sign up for a second modem, pay an extra $23 (another $45 for the second line, but save the $22 from dial only, which I rarely use).
I wasn't asking the original question to get something for nothing, just, may I run two full 'bandwidths' through one coax? Kind of my way to get 3MB service to my house before it's offered in my town.
No I don't run a server, nor do I download nor condone downloading copywritten stuff.

Teriwyn
Neko Girl
Premium
Germantown, MD

Well, think about it this way. Bandwidth is bandwidth, and all the bandwidth in your entire neighborhood travels over the same coax, and feeder cable, and trunk cable, all the way up to the node, where it's converted to fiber and goes to the headend where all the routers are.

The bandwidth does not care where it's coming from or where it's going to. If you can split the line and get adequate signal to both modems, and both modems are provisioned in their respective systems properly, then you can use them both.

However..! (And that is a really big "however"...) If you want this for backup purposes, why on earth would you take two connections that are over the same cable infrastructure? If one goes down, the other likely will as well. Earthlink is offering this connection over Comcast lines... and one of the most common causes of an outage -- something on the lines (interference, a cut cable, etc..) will affect both of them, since it's the same cable coming into your home, coming from the same place.

The only type of outage that wouldn't affect both of them are the less common problems at the routers themselves. So you might want to think twice about what you're considering if the only purpose is for a backup, because you will basically be eliminating the usefulness of the Earthlink connection as a "backup".

Hope this helps a bit.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by Teriwyn:

However..! (And that is a really big "however"...) If you want this for backup purposes, why on earth would you take two connections that are over the same cable infrastructure? If one goes down, the other likely will as well. Earthlink is offering this connection over Comcast lines... and one of the most common causes of an outage -- something on the lines (interference, a cut cable, etc..) will affect both of them, since it's the same cable coming into your home, coming from the same place.
Hope this helps a bit.
The 'back-up' aspect is the 20 hrs earthlink gives free as dial-up. Indeed, I've mixed issues here, and probably lost the point. My original post implied I was looking to get more bandwidth without paying, that wasn't my intent. The Earthlink thing was the my ultimate goal, but I guess I should just place my order and take it from there.

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to joetaxpayer

What I do for backup access is a free netzero account. Free and it works fine.