spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kite78
join:2003-02-25
Malaysia

Kite78

[OT] Online Overnight, get this message

I left my system online for downloading purpose... but tomolo morning, i get this message at my desktop?

Am I been hacked ?
For your info, I did not use any firewall program

anyone see this kind of message before?

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21
Malaysia

teh

Premium Member

Was the browser on for the whole time? If so then its just a browser popup if not then...

ergibbs
To Be Free

join:2001-03-07
on the ocean

ergibbs to Kite78

to Kite78
2 things.

First, get a firewall!!!! Never run an Internet connection without one. If you need help selecting one, check out the security forum.

Second, that is spam delivered through Windows messenger. I'm not sure what OS you have, but in XP, go to the control panel, administrative tools, services and look on the list for Messenger. Stop it and disable it (unless you really want to use it for something).

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium Member
Malaysia

teh to Kite78

Premium Member

to Kite78
Kite read »www.popup-killer.info/me ··· er-spam/
Popup Killer info  presents a guide on stopping messenger service ads.

Messenger spam alias webpopup:
A new very intrusive form of unsolicited advertising are sadly sweeping the internet by storm. The ads are now known as messenger spam or webpopup.

Messenger popup ads how it works:
The ads are generated by software that scan blocks of IP addresses for computers with an open port 135. If it find an open port on your PC it automatically send you an ad as seen below.
This can happen even if you have no other programs open like MSN messenger, email client or browser.

How to stop Messenger popup Spam - FREE:

These 4 easy steps will turn off the messenger service used to send messenger service popup ads. The Messenger service is not related to Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.:

1.Go to Start, then Run and type in services.msc Click Ok
2.Scroll to Messenger, select it, right click it and choose Properties.
3.Under startup choose "Disabled", then choose Stop.
4.When stopped, click Ok.

Alternatives:
You can also use a software like Zero Popup. This popup blocker will stop messenger spam.

I don't use MSN Messager service I disable long long ago so I didn;t know about it.

Kite trying searching on web for info next time its after all information highway

siput
@tm.net.my

siput to Kite78

Anon

to Kite78
1 thing:

all windows 2k/xp users, go to »www.blackviper.com/WinXP ··· ecfg.htm
turn off all those services that you dont need. you will have more free resources and improve speed.

choongyouqi
Latrine Dreams
join:2002-12-29
Ktn,Malaysia

choongyouqi to Kite78

to Kite78
Windows get paid advertisement gua.
[text was edited by author 2003-06-23 07:12:06]

ergibbs
To Be Free

on the ocean

ergibbs

If you use Windows to mean Microsoft, that's not true. The messenger service is enabled by default and a spammer can spam you by your IP address, the same way he would your email address.
patycy
join:2003-04-28
Malaysia

patycy

so by disabling the messenger service will solve the problem?

siput
@tm.net.my

siput

Anon

yes

jolmy
The Spring 2004
join:2003-03-20
Malaysia

jolmy to Kite78

to Kite78
In Win2000 (should be the same in WinXP) open the "Services" window in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

In the list of services, look for Messenger, right-click > Properties, then set the "Startup Type" to Manual.

Kite78
Malaysia

Kite78

I'm using WinXP
well, this is not the first time i get message like this
it is not in a browser.. it is on my desktop

ya, i think i have to stop the 'messenger' service and use Zone alarm

thanks for the info,dudes

XEQtor
Wanna See My 8 Boobies?
join:2003-02-20

XEQtor

Kite,

It they only spam you, tis ok to get ZoneAlarm. But if they somehow also dropped 'biscuits' inside yr XP, what then? Yes, I'm trying to scare you & rightly so. May I suggest you put on a paranoid hat for awhile until you do not see funny activities FROM yr puter (say a week)?

If after installing ZoneAlarm you find it asking you to allow/disallow non-stop until you cannot get any work done except to turn it off, pls go get the latest virus scanner to look for trojans.

Kite78
Malaysia

Kite78

XEQtor: Ya,what you said is correct... what happen if they drop something to my system ?
Sometimes the zonealarm quite annoying ler,ask me want to allow this or not

thanks for the info

matkeri
@202.71.x.x

matkeri to Kite78

Anon

to Kite78
there are 1000 and 1 reason for that, and my best guess is your kazaa or imesh, or any P2P software that you currently running.

my suggestion, go get AdAware, or Spybot Search and Destroy, to remove all the adware installed in your pc.

good luck!

ergibbs
To Be Free

on the ocean

ergibbs

If you're referring to the initial post of this thread, you are 100% incorrect. The reason for it has already been stated a few times.

ThirdShifter
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Wethersfield, CT

ThirdShifter

Premium Member

said by ergibbs:
If you're referring to the initial post of this thread, you are 100% incorrect. The reason for it has already been stated a few times.

yup, i have to second that. It is the Messenger that is giving you that pop-up. THis is not window messenger or MSN messeger.. its totally a different thing.. Just incase someone is confused.

laffalot
Crunch Tsc

join:2002-03-27
Scotland

laffalot to Kite78

to Kite78
For those that would like to see the FAQ regarding how to remove these pop ups from happening please look HERE
shorty98
join:2003-04-13
Malaysiaku

shorty98 to Kite78

to Kite78
thanks for bringing this to my attention, kite and others!

i'm having the same popup too. luckily tho, it only pops on my server PC (i'm using ICS!)

bixantine
Hyelbaine
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05
Malaysia

bixantine to Kite78

Premium Member

to Kite78
said by Kite78:
Sometimes the zonealarm quite annoying ler,ask me want to allow this or not

thanks for the info

kite my friend, you can actually turn the notification function of you know? its all in the settings in ZoneAlarm. try playing around with it and if you still cant figure out how to do it, please feel free to get back to me

Cheers!!!

FellowSufferer
@202.75.x.x

FellowSufferer to Kite78

Anon

to Kite78
Instead of resorting to a firewall, why don't you just unbind Netbios from your NICs? Save yourself some CPU cycles.

Its a much more secure solution since is s/ware firewalls can crash or you could forget to turn it on, etc. Its my preferred solution for my home machines which run on Netbeui as the network protocol for the home network and folder shares.

There's a nice guide that I referred to at www.grc.com. If DSLReports.com has one, my apologies but I'm not aware of it.

Having said that, if you do not have a hardware firewall or do not use NAT, go with the s/ware firewall since unbinding Netbios only deals with certain specific security risks.

Incidentally, I prefer Sygate Personal Firewall to ZoneAlarm cos ZA is getting way too bloated for my taste. Its a matter of personal preference only cos both do an excellent job.

As an aside, after reading this, I now realize why my firewall logs list so many streamyx ips as the source of CodeRed/Nimda or other types of probes/attacks

lokem
join:2003-01-30
Malaysia

lokem

FellowSufferer: Sad to say, StreamyX users are a VERY active bunch in probing and scanning ports. I do hope TMNet will educate their users to prevent these problems from occuring in the future.

teh
Gekke Kraai
Premium Member
Malaysia

teh

Premium Member

said by lokem:
FellowSufferer: Sad to say, StreamyX users are a VERY active bunch in probing and scanning ports. I do hope TMNet will educate their users to prevent these problems from occuring in the future.
Oh yeah lokem you're RIGHT just the other day my firewall block off attempt to send me invalid ip or something like that LOL. Its call itchy fingers and naughty would-be-hackers trying to get into your system LOL

FellowSufferer
@219.95.x.x

FellowSufferer to lokem

Anon

to lokem
Its not the port scans and probes that bother me as much as the number of people who seem to be running systems with viruses/trojans on them.

Sad indication of the level of awareness of the risks of 24/7 internet connections amongst Malaysian users.

God knows how many of these people have keyloggers running as well ..... hope they don't do internet banking
AhB
join:2003-03-19
Malaysia

AhB to Kite78

to Kite78
i have no idea about those...
but serious speaking....
im getting all those stuff when my firewall is off

norton firewall basically block all connections off
i mean those itchy hand connections

im getting all this from every where basically ... not just tmnet IPs

btw.... i don't think those are just MSN spam...
its actually a dos mode spam. if you are behind a router you dont get those...

its actually in the Dos to send those messages

go try it out

its something i learn from MCSE
some net command

if you getting error means cannot send...
if not
yup you can send...

been doing this with all my friends lately :P
they say they kena hack
lolzzzz

XEQtor
Wanna See My 8 Boobies?
join:2003-02-20

XEQtor to lokem

to lokem
FellowSufferer,

Unbinding Netbios alone not goot enuf these days. For eg, Win OS has ICMP router discovery turned on by default. What if I spoof 1.1.1.1 to tell yr puter that 'new' default router is my personal router? Then, I inspect yr packets (before routing it out) to see if you've got any 'Basic Auth' for me to use? Streamyx' mtd of 'patching' routes this way (ZA: router redirects) may...

Notice those pesky eDonkey2000 probes lately? Sometimes non-stop for the whole day! How I wish we're allowed to crash their eDonkeys from our end since they disturbed us so much...

Sufferer, my ZA v2.6.88 not bulky to me (Win98SE). Never bother updating it altho d/l the update. Newer versions doesnt seem as stable as this.

Happen to use the same firewall router as Gibson. (By chance, "Fools never differ".) I like the 'Stateful Packet Inspection' (SPI) feature. ZA uses SPI as well.

For those ZA users who'll like to 'see' better, go look at VisualZone (free companion to ZA). www.visualizesoftware.com.

Cheers,
XEQtor.

madblue
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Malaysia

madblue to Kite78

Premium Member

to Kite78
Click for full size
i get this mesasge today, i just install WinXP Pro today, after using 3 hours this message come out??

what is the problem, y can come out those stupid message:(

ergibbs
To Be Free

on the ocean

ergibbs

Go back and read this thread from the beginning and you'll see what the problem is and how to correct it.

choongyouqi
Latrine Dreams
join:2002-12-29
Ktn,Malaysia

choongyouqi to Kite78

to Kite78
Hey, any1 knew it yesterday? MSN messenger 6 official are release...

madblue
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Malaysia

madblue to ergibbs

Premium Member

to ergibbs
said by ergibbs:
2 things.

First, get a firewall!!!! Never run an Internet connection without one. If you need help selecting one, check out the security forum.

Second, that is spam delivered through Windows messenger. I'm not sure what OS you have, but in XP, go to the control panel, administrative tools, services and look on the list for Messenger. Stop it and disable it (unless you really want to use it for something).

get it.

kopitiam
join:2003-03-13
Santa Barbara, CA

kopitiam to Kite78

to Kite78

same problem as madblue

yea... got that same message as madblue last time.... but now i disable the messange service & use firewall 24/7...

eh... madblue is astros kah? how can change nick 1?